Thailand Safe?

gurlie

sarNie Egg
Okay..i'm thinking about going studying abroad to bangkok, Thailand at Rangst University (something like that)....i know my parents will hella trip because they know its dangerous over there...Does anyone think it would be unsafe..because i always thought that when you go to thailand, you just have to be caution and not be stupid.....i don't really understand thai words and i'm hmong... my parents say they can easily rip me off or do bad stuff to you because they government over there is different from the United States...i just want to explore the surrounding and learn the culture...and i'm not going by myself...i think i have 5 girlfriends going with me....so what do you guys think?

ChenrukNote

Goddess
Well if u have company then it shouldn't be unsafe. true the government there is different from america u can't expect to go to foreign countries and receive hospitality. some ppl do rip u off but that is just some. Pretty much u do have to be cautious especially since u don't know understand thai. hopefully some of ur friends that r going with u do because it would be nice to have someone that translates it so things go smoothly. Good luck! :D

samtly

Xtreme sarNie
i think u just have to be smart and like u said not do stupid thing. for me danger is in every country. just how much danger u allow urself to be in. if u do decide to go there to study i think the best thing to do is research the place more.

t0nz

sarNie Juvenile
yeah seriously i heard that uni in thailand are wayy harder than the ones in the us.

2.5 gpa in thailand is considered like a 1._ gpa in the us.

so basically if you get a 3.5 gpa in thaialdn your effin smart.

onahc

sarNie Elites
you better think twice or many times about going because foreigners are easy crime targets. foreigners get killed all the time or robbed because they think you have money. it is a huge risk to be in another country where you don't know anyone or even speak the language. thailand is corrupt and the law there will not protect you, it is a whole different world there compared to the states. OMG the possibilities that can happen to you and they WILL pick you out. i'm not pessimistic but this is reality!

samtly

Xtreme sarNie
that is abit hash. i go to thailand often at time stay long time there. it is safe to stay there. i m a girl and i have travel there alone to work. i think u just have to b carefull and think smartly. i do agree one should think carefully but thailand is a beautiful place i love staying there. (i m not thai atleast not born in thailand so i m speaking from a point of view of foreigner)

*Ice*

sarNie Adult
i live in thailand whats so bad about it lool i have many foreiners at ma skool never been to a university yet tho lool im not that old

thailand is pretty safe and actually very civilized, compared to other countries in asia...and you have friends going with you, too, so that's even better. just be aware of your surroundings, and try to learn more about the thai culture and language (that way it's easier to communicate and you won't unintentionally offend anyone) :)...it's a really good experience :D good luck!

Vanida

Save World Save Life
talking about colleges yes hella strict if you have gpa 3.5 in usa over theres is like 1.5 isnt that gay i think usa university only good thing is gpa isnt higher in most asian countries its b/c they want people to be hella smart gosh i probably wont make it to thammasat 555+ no way i think bangkok is ok since is a private school easily to get in unlike thammasat u need gpa 3.5 and higher and its public school

LDi

sarNie Hatchling
I assume you're just doing a year (or two) abroad through some sort of academic year abroad through your current university right (considering the fact that you said you can't speak thai? so you'll be taking classes in English) If so, then this is very common....and I say why not go for it.

I've gone abroad to a university overseas in my summer semester of university. I didn't go to Asia or Europe like others, instead I chose to go Africa, yes South Africa (the crime rate there is one of the highest, I can bet you it's higher than any Asian country). But regardless, the program was great and I"ve always dreamed of going there. So if you all are freaking out about this........my parents were 10 times freaking out (but they got over it).

Like travelling to any country there is always bound to be risk, no matter where you go (sure some countries are alot more dangerous than others.....but whatever). You do your part, think smart, be cautious, make good judgements, and with luck, hopefully your stay will be smooth sailing. Just think of this...... I can be hassled walking in downtown New York, just as much as I can any where else.

I say if it's what you want to do go for it, especially if it fits your career and adcademic aspirations. You are extremely lucky you've got 5 other ppl that are interested in going there with you.

I ended having the time of my life!

t0nz

sarNie Juvenile
you better think twice or many times about going because foreigners are easy crime targets. foreigners get killed all the time or robbed because they think you have money. it is a huge risk to be in another country where you don't know anyone or even speak the language. thailand is corrupt and the law there will not protect you, it is a whole different world there compared to the states. OMG the possibilities that can happen to you and they WILL pick you out. i'm not pessimistic but this is reality!

i think what you said it overly true or harsh. cus true, foreigners are easy crime targets but not most foreigners get killed maybe robbed if your not careful. Thailand isn't entirely corrupt, and i'm pretty sure soem of the laws over there will help you. it's impossible to have a coutnry where their law will not protect you at all. if that was the case, i'm pretty sure everyone would be trying to go live somehwere else other than thailadn right? lol. well naysways, thats what i thought.

just be careful hwne you carry a bag or anything. my grandma (she lives in thaialnd) just got pickpocketed by two old ladies. TWO OLD LADIES!! can you believe that man. lol. i woiuld imagien like young people but old sh_tttt.

yajvaj

sarNie Adult
WOW! this is wat i wanted to do too but my mom wouldn't let me and yea it'll be hard for me to go places if i don't speak the language and nobody to go with me, i was thinking of japan but im still not sure, you're lucky cause 5 other friends are going so it'll be fun, one looking after another, and be careful...

gurlie

sarNie Egg
i'm so happy that you guys reply ....thanks for all the heads up...I'm only going for a semester and yeah i will be taking english class only..because i can't speak thai...hey LDi..how the hell did you convince your parents to let you goooo...gosh i'm like 20 years old and still can't do things like this without going through battles and wars with my parents...tell me your magic ...lol....and onahc, thanks for the heads up...i know you are only telling me reality....and my five friends don't speak thai either....i'm just afraid of the language barrier....the university that i'm going to is called Rangsit University..has anyone heard it...

kumpangxruk

sarNie Adult
my cousin visited one of the international universities with her friend over the summer...she liked it a lot. hmm i was in thailand over the summer and i did see some foreigners get ripped off but yea like the others said foreigners are easy targets. i got ripped and gosh was i angry. lol i understand thai but i don't like to speak it haha.

yes be careful when u carry your bag or purse because they are very sneaky and can cut the bag off! have fun when your there though! ^_^

Rangsit University is a really well-known one in bangkok...i think the majority of the thai lakorn actresses who study in bangkok (as opposed to internationally) went/goes there...:)

fan

sarNie Juvenile
hey ya!

well i just wanted give my imput since im in thailand right now studying abroad. I've never heard of Rangsit University... only Thammasat, Rangsit campus. but then again there are so many universities in thailand. If you are going to Thammasat tho then most likely you will be at the Tha Prachan Campus (where i'm at) because thats where the international programs are.

anyways.... i am thai (understand and speak the language) but i was born and raised in america. my personal thoughts are duh... foreigners will get ripped off, this doesn't happen only in thailand it happens everywhere even in america.

thais are very open to foreigners... most of the people in my program don't know the language and feel no need to take language classes because they can get by with what little they do now.

danger is everywhere... not just thailand. basically my advice is to just don't be stupid. think things through and yes... becareful late at night especially if your a girl by yourself. just because tank tops and short shorts are ok in the states doesnt mean its ok in thailand.... people won't look down on you but don't wonder why guys, old and young alike, are giving you looks that make you uncomfortable. its a different lifestyle that you have to get you use to but thats part of the fun

be smart be safe... thats all i gotta say

dynomite

Wanna-Be เจ้าชู้
I would compare Rangsit to University of Southern California in that both are private and both cost an arm and a leg to get into and both have good reputations.

gurlie

sarNie Egg
omg..hey fan!!! my friend is going to Thammasat and i was wondering how far that is from Rangsit..but you said you never heard of it..so anyhow..how is that univeristy because my friend will be going over there ...and thanks again for the people who are giving my advise..i really appreciate them..

AzNpAnDa486

sarNie Juvenile
i went to school in thailand before a few years ago and i'd say i didn't really like it. waking up super early really doesn't cut it for me. especially to beat traffic. it took an hour to get to my school that was only a few blocks away. but that was when they didn't have the skytrains yet.

as for college, i have a few friends attending ABAC, and Mahidol International. to be be honest, from looking into International programs at the Universities, Rangsit doesn't have that good of a program. Even Chula's program isn't as good. One of the best International colleges to attend in Thailand would have to be Mahidol. my friends that have moved from the states that moved to Thailand actually enjoy it better there and the education is equal to America.

but as for a foreigner going to school there, you would be able to understand things at school and maybe even make a few friends that are from the states as well. but i recommend going to school in the states. it's easier.

it's really suggested that you know how to read some thai, and to understand thai. otherwise you will get ripped off. taxis in thailand arent all that safe as well. if it at night you have to get some place and a taxi is the only way, you should travel with a friend that is thai and knows their way around.

i actually suggest you going to thailand first hand and taking a tour of the various international programs. my friends that go there actually had no choice to go to college there. they prefer going to school here, atleast here you're able to choose your classes. my friend that attended kasetsart's international program had to take a farming class....yes....a farming class.

so i'd think twice about moving to thailand. for a better education, stay in america. so many people in thailand want to move to america for an education, and you're already here. take advantage over things other people dont.

fan

sarNie Juvenile
gurlie... i was just wondering are you planning on going for your whole college experience as in getting your degree in Thailand or are you just planning on coming for a semester or a year?

as for Rangsit University... ive never heard of it but I would assume that its in the same area as the Rangsit Campus for Thammasat which i'd say is about an hr and a half to 2 hr drive away from the Tha Prachan Campus.

Thammasat is good... but it takes some getting use to (as does everything else) the whole college system is different here but once you get over it and figure out how things work its good.

as for the whole taxi thing... yes taxi's can be dangerous and it would be best if you could ride with a friend and to at least know the direction you need to go in. but if you have to go alone then after you get in and tell the driver where your going then get on the phone with someone and jus be like hey ill see you at blah blah (where ever you told the driver to go) even if your not meeting anyone. most taxi drivers know basic english.

personally... from the people ive met, and myself included, coming on an exchange program is more about the life experience than the education