Thammasat University

nanthao

sarNie Hatchling
Hi,

I need some advice. I want to stusy abroad in Thailand and my university only offer Thammasat University...it sounds like a good school...but i don't know if I should go....sorry I'm a bit confuse...

kying89

sarNie Hatchling
that's cool..i think you should really go for it..this might be your only chance you know...
i think you'll have a great time and wouldn't want to be back...hehe
are you studying thai language or are you thai...
if you're a different ethnic beside thai, i think you will learn a lot about their culture and pretty much everything about thai people....but even if you're thai, i think it's still a great opportunity...
man, if i were you, i won't worry at all...i'm so jealous i have to wait so long before i get to go study abroad....
but yea, GO FOR IT...

marduk

Sarnie Clown!
I don't think it matters whether or not it's a top university. The point is that you'll be studying abroad. I think you'll learn more outside of the classroom that inside of it and it'll be amazing. One of the most amazing things about study abroad (i think) is that it's as much an inward journey as it is an outward journey. I think you'll have an awesome time and learn a lot about yourself and others too.

In short, go for it!

fan

sarNie Juvenile
i say go for it because i am.... im currently a grad student but i never got the chance to go as an undergrad but im lucky because my program is open to it and supporting of it.

thammasat is considered to be a top university and one of the oldest in thailand so it has a reputation. As long as you have the right focus i think ull gain a lot from going... educationally and personally. my main reason for wanting to go is so i can learn more educationally and becuz the issues in thailand are of interest to what i want to do. and also because ive never had the experience of being in thailand for longer than 2 or 3 weeks at a time and i think it would be a good experience... because you have the freedom to do what you want how you want but at the same time there are people there that will help you when you need it.

when are you applying for? im going to be applying for fall 06.

KawaiiTennyo

THE KT OF SARNIES
how do you get to study aboard?? what's the requirement?!?

fan

sarNie Juvenile
it varies from university to university... most study abroad programs are catered towards undergrads.

i think if you look around you could POSSIBLY find something during high school, but i dont know much about that. (i think this requires A LOT of sure proof planning and guidance)

as for going as a college student.... i only know the requirements of the UC system (university of california). at my school for international studies majors they are require to go abroad at least once.

basically you look into the programs/countries that you want to go to and see if they fit into your major... they will list the kind of classes they offer and what majors they prefer (only because classes dont always match up so some schools will specify the major that they know fits) then you can find out if there are language requirements and such... like china has at least a 2 yr lang req then there are other req such as the forms and stuff ya gotta fill out to make sure what your gunna do abroad fits with what you would have done at ur home campus. ull also have to write a statement of purpose and get letters of recs and then of course you gotta meet the grade requirements

then you apply and if they accept you then ur good to go.

annenatalie

sarNie Hatchling
ooh I've been wondering the same thing, except for that I'll be graduating from high school and wanting to go abroad to thailand, the university that I'm planning to apply to is Chulalongkorn University though, lol just applying for fun and see if I'll get accepted or not, but if I do, then I might go :D

juicee

sarNie Elites
as for studying abroad, you can go with any univeristy program, it doesn't have to be the one that you're enrolled in. and generally, you just have to be in good academic standing or something like that.

so annenatalie, you're applying to Chula? that's cool. I assume you that you can read and write in thai then, right? cause i don't think that they have and english program like thammasart right? i mean isn't that why all abroad programs are at thammasart? anyways, i should ask my cousin, since she actually goes there. so do you have to take the entrace exam like all the thai kids or can you sub sats or acts? ne ways, good luck and let us know how it works out.

ne ways, everyone should study overseas, it's the best experience ever...

onestupidguy

もちつけバカピンク..
I'm an Ex-chula student. According to rank, Chula is number 1 in thailand. And yes chula has international program as well. I don't recommend going to thailand tho. Even you study in the english program, ppl will still speak thai. It is very rare u'll find a person who would want to speak english to u. But if you want just to go for "experience", i guess go for it. But if u plan to learn sth, dun expect too much. The prof there have horrible english, unless its an american-canadian prof. I mean seriously if you don't know thai, its gonna be very akward for u to socialize with other ppl at school.. But if u want to shop, go for it.

KawaiiTennyo

THE KT OF SARNIES
juicee said:
as for studying abroad, you can go with any univeristy program, it doesn't have to be the one that you're enrolled in. and generally, you just have to be in good academic standing or something like that.

so annenatalie, you're applying to Chula? that's cool. I assume you that you can read and write in thai then, right? cause i don't think that they have and english program like thammasart right? i mean isn't that why all abroad programs are at thammasart? anyways, i should ask my cousin, since she actually goes there. so do you have to take the entrace exam like all the thai kids or can you sub sats or acts? ne ways, good luck and let us know how it works out.

[post="71691"][/post]​
do you have to have money too? how does thes programs work?!

onestupidguy

もちつけバカピンク..
Amazed at how many ppl never heard of exchange program...

nanthao

sarNie Hatchling
kool...well i'm planning for my junior year maybe fall or spring......i'm going to study business....i think the university offers it....another question...which season is the best in thailand??...right now i'm olny a freshmen....going away to college was hard already for my parents...they'll flip out when i tell them i'm going to thailand...so i'm gonna give them sometime to absorb the fact that i'm going abroad...i think i'll do fine in thailand....my thai language is pretty good but i can't read...so i planned to study thai language too...my uncle to tried to teach me once..but he didn't have the patience...i'm not thai but yet...it be a good experinces...i'm looking for to it....thanks for the comments!

darvil

sarNie Adult
Jeff is right about that. If you don't speak Thai then your experience won't be as good as you might think. Thais tend to clump together into their own groups and speak thai avidly. You might find a group or 2 who speaks english alot. That's possible. When my sister and I were studying she had to hang out with the small group who speaks english so she missed out on some cool thai stuff. Knowing Thai I think is almost a requirement.

Unless of course you're a hot sexy babe.. then they will definately come and talk to you. :lmao:

annenatalie

sarNie Hatchling
juicee said:

[post="71691"][/post]​
lol. I can only read but can't write very well, I'm hoping to go take some classes there. yeah.. they don't have that much english program like thammasart, but they do have one major that is all in english it's like Arts and Communication or something..it sounds pretty interesting. I've look at their requirements and I don't think you need an entrance exam like thai students they just need your SAT and ACT scores, and like some other stuff that might help you get in. hehe thanks, I hope I'll be hearing some good news soon.
but it'll be a pretty good and fun experience :D

Muddie Murda

smile...
On the money part...

:D

You'd be paying just as much as you're paying to go to the school you're attending now.

It's like this....exchange...is exchanging...so you go to Thailand and a Thai student comes over here. So you'd be paying for her schooling as she's paying for yours in Thailand.

Though, That's just school $$. If you're a shopper and party a lot.. :D That's from your own pocket.

I want to go to Thailand too! :D

But I might end up in Korea first thanks to a certain someone. T_T

juicee

sarNie Elites
KawaiiTennyo said:
do you have to have money too? how does thes programs work?!
[post="71825"][/post]​
well i'm guessing on what program you wanna go with. but it should be around your tuition, somewhat. what school do you go to? i'm sure they have an abroad program....you're in california right? you can also do it through the uc programs, which are cheaper...

onestupidguy

もちつけバカピンク..
i think it is cheaper to stay in thailand for a semester (exchange) in living cost than it is to stay in north america cuz u prolly get a meal for less than 1 US dollars. BUTTTTTTTTT... if u wanna eat street food (Which taste good).. make sure ur body builds up this anti-bacteria crap. Or else u're gonna suffer... AND NEVER DRINK TAP WATER. THAILAND IS DIRTY. SO WATCH WHAT U PUT IN YOUR MOUTH. Eventually ur body will get used to it.. just dun be so shock getting stomachace and stuff :lmao:

You might be very shock tho on how slim thai girls r. And thai girls will talk about going on diet ALWAYS. And if u're well build/big (not trying to offend u) u'll have a VERY hard time finding cloths that fits u in thailand. Most girls clothing r like extra small or sth. So u might not have much fun shopping, unless u buy free-style cloths.

Now u're prolly wondering y i know so much? Well i used to live in thailand, my whole family is still there (for now). Been in university in thailand (Chula). And was drag to shop with girls MANY times.. :sweat: