Volunteering/Working To Help 3rd World Countries.

Greensmurf

sarNie Hatchling
Ok for the longest time I've been trying to figure out what to do with my life... after my life changing experience trip back home (Laos), I've decided that I want to work for World Vision or any other agencies that takes part in helping out the needed. My question is, where do I start? I've looked at the World Vision Website... they said I can help out by donating a certain amount of $$ a month... Anyone can do that really. But what I want to do is go to these places and actually be a part of it. You know? Like see all these things and doing whatever I can do to help out. What kind of educational background do I need to get into this? I havent been back to school since I graduated from HS in 2002... Anyone have any clues?

jensen

sarNie Fansubber
hi Greensmurf !

well i don't think you need any educational background for those things you want to do. But can i ask you what u really wanna do? the countries you want to apply for? You said you are back from Laos. Do you wanna collaborate with NGO's there? well i've lived there too. I have some contacts in the Education sector there if u wanna go back to Laos. They work on a scholarship programme for children, n i think they look for ppl this year to continue the project n diagnostic my collaborators and I did there...

Just pm me, we can talk about this more !

dfemc

sarNie Adult
Hey, that's so AWESOME! for the most part u just really have to go out there and dig up a few agencies that u feel does the work that you're passionate about. there's plenty of projects to work with depending on your interests: ie. health camps, environmental projects, orphanages, school (education field), organic farming, habitat for humanity. soooo much.

in 3rd world countries, rules are laxed and the ppl power is much needed, so wherever it is that u go, ur bound to pick up on something. just go straight to the agencies, talk with the ppl, let them know how long u'll be out there for and just do it.

be fore warned though, certain orgs are pretty shiesty and it's just a front and even the most legitimate NGO's might let you down because it doesn't seem to be going anywhere. but just hang tight, have faith n follow ur vision. much of the time, if u have friends who are interested in the same projects, just get together with them, find an issue that you're all most passionate about and plan something out, throw parties to raise money and go out there n just do it.

feel free to msg me too, n i'd be more than happy to share more of my thoughts n experience on this one. dfemc@hotmail.com

best of luck. :)

PimpStress

sarNie Juvenile
I've been involved in a lot of volunteer work as an Americorp for 4 yrs. and thought about doing Peace Corp but I couldn't commit to a 2 year term in another country. I've heard great things about Peace Corp from people who were in it and some of my friends applied for it. That's something to look into if you're interested in doing something in 3rd World Countries. I've heard good things of World Vision but don't know anyone who's actually been involve with it. If you need additional help or info, you can PM me. I'm willing to help as well.

PimpStress

sarNie Juvenile
Here's the link to peace corps: www.peacecorps.gov. There's a lot of opportunities there so check it out. Also remember that you can volunteer locally as well. There's always an organization in need of help. If u live in the US and have time this summer, look into being a volunteer at Scottie's Place. It's a camp for homeless children. They have year round programs and summer camps. It's located in West Virginia and I've personally been there. The Winter family founded the camp because they were inspired by the first homeless little boy they met. They didn't know that homeless children existed until they met Scottie. Though the Winter family never met Scottie again, they named the camp after him in hopes that they can help other children like Scottie. For more info on Scottie's Place visit www.scottiesplace.org. I'll post some pixs I took while I was there when I get a chance. They are probably looking for volunteers for this summer's camp so if u have a free summer and want to do something worthwhile, I highly recommend Scottie's Place.

KhoOnxNouxWanxJai

Staff member
donating money helps! well at my school we have an organization and one of them is the Filipino club that does this stuff .. and what we do is we choose a few group leads who goes to these places every now and then .. but for the most part we jus gather stuff and send ... and daring's link to the peacecorps is a great idea also!

but don't forget UNICEF!!!

you can try this site also

http://www.crossculturalsolutions.org/default.asp

well I wouldn't know anything about directly volunteering .. because all I've done is donate ... and the most I've ever done is go out on thanksgiving and christmas and give to families who needs food and such >.O but thats not really third world work ..

and I just actually wanted to give props to those who have done it! Hopefully I'd be able to do more as time passes >.O

babylakorn

sarNie Egg
join the peace crop? or go to church they have many programs to help the poor like a week missionary work. also donate money.