Saeng Daet Lae Fon (complete)

chubbycheeks

imma kick ur-ass-aya !
omg jjinxx! first off I thought mint and her mom were nadech's sister and mother but after hearing that she's passed away and mint's real name is davika, i'm having second thoughts lol. I'm so curious to whats going to happen next. as for yadech's scene, ohmykootness! who ever thought nadech could be so .. ? hehe! while i'm waiting patiently for the next chapter i will start reading the side stories. yadech is my only main focus so i skipped them but now i want to know about kim and boy :D thanks for the awesome update!

jjinxx

Is your "nom" Fai-approved?
Chapter 25 Missus

Stop making yourself the bad guy. You didn’t do anything wrong. It was...

Uncle Thongchai’s words from Uncle Palada’s party now made much more sense. And it was obvious Nadech had no idea what had really caused his parents’ separation. He was too young then and his father had not told him. Uncle Norachai had kept this secret from his son, allowing him to believe that his dad was a cold-hearted person who had simply not cared about his wife and daughter.

Yaya didn’t want to believe father and son had been tortured for so long. If only she could tell Nadech the truth so he could stop hating his father. But there was no way of doing that without breaking his heart a second time. It would only prove Nadech’s past cynicism.

Wanting to see him and hear his voice, and knowing he wasn’t asleep yet, Yaya stepped lightly to their door and knocked. It opened almost instantly, as if he had stood at the other side just about to knock also.

“Yes?”

Her heart warmed, seeing his untroubled face. “I just wanted to thank you for letting me have my party here.”

“It’s your house too.”

House. Not once had he ever referred to this place as home.

Lowering her eyes, she said softly, “I miss the valley.”

He smiled. “We’ll go back soon. You have the charity event in three weeks right? We can stay there when it’s done, since the paperwork for the new resort has been settled.”

Something beyond him caught her eye. “What’s that?”

Looking over his shoulder, he realized she was looking at her towel, the purple one from that second bathroom fiasco. “Um, th-that’s just.” He quickly retrieved it for her. “I never had the chance to give it to Auntie Pam to…I mean, I just…”

Her eyes shined with laughter as her grin widened. Nadech couldn’t help smiling too.

He took hold of both ends of the towel and slowly hooked it around her shoulders, reeling her into his embrace. Rarely had he encountered the urge to hold someone before, not like this. But feeling the soft outline of her body against his made it hard to remember why he had once thought to stay away from her. His heart felt alive.

This was a new sensation. But it was pleasant, cozy, like arriving on a tropical beach and dipping your toes into crystal cool water, or wrapping a scarf around your neck while snow floated down happily.

It was electrical as the two stood attached by some unseen thread running from one thudding heart to the other. Even while they were technically still in separate rooms.

The thunder was what jolted them apart. She watched him toss the towel on his bed and turn back to her with a gentle expression.

“So what was that auctioning that I heard Khun Jack mention?”

She scoffed. “Another of his eccentric ideas to collect charity. I’d rather not discuss it because I feel like the more I talk about it, the more likely I’ll have to take part. No offense, Jack’s brilliant and a great guy but I think I’ll sit out of this activity.”

Without warning, the back of his fingers brushed against her cheek. She fell silent and Nadech gulped, having committed yet another uncontrolled act. He dropped his hand. She caught it and brought it back up to the side of her face where she laid her cheek in his open palm, all the while her eyes never leaving his.

“I don’t bite, you know.”

He cocked his head, peering at her from the same angle as her head was. “Your lips tell me different.” It was that habit of hers. He saw and felt her blush, and with his hand in hers, it was like her warmth transferred through to him and it felt good, he thought, to have open accepting hands and an open loving heart. His thumb extended to run the pad of it across her lips and those lips parted and told him, “I love you.”

"Pardon?" Was that a figment of his imagination?

"I love you." It was enough for her that he knew how she felt, so that if he were to ever find out what he did not know and fall into despair, he would know she was there for him. She turned her head and kissed the middle of his palm, where all the lines of his life ran, criss-crossed, and connected. “Good night.”

All he could reply with was, “Sweet dreams.” After the door was closed, Nadech stayed facing it and lifted his hand, touching his lips to his palm where she had kissed it, her scent lingering on his skin, her words echoing infinitely in his heart.

-------------
Lunch time. Nadech stepped out of the elevator, scanning the lobby for his friends. Mario and Mark were near the entrance. As he neared them, he spotted a woman whom he hadn’t notice before.

“Hey. About time man,” Oh held up a hand.

“Sorry to keep you waiting.”

Mark grinned. “Nadech this is Mint. Mint, our pal Nadech.”

The two sized each other up with curiosity. Mark had informed him that his girlfriend started working in their General Operations department. Nadech looked at the mystery woman of Mark’s and saw someone young and bright. He was especially aware of the way her eyes were attentive to everything around her, although she was studying him right now and it was with a friendly smile that she greeted him. “Good afternoon sir.”

“Good afternoon. I’m glad to finally meet Mark’s special person.” His smile was small but welcoming, so she was able to return with one of her own.

“Oi, no need to be proper.”

“But we’re at work,” Mint pointed out.

Mark shook his head. “We’re going to lunch.”

Yaya was already at the restaurant.

After she had pronounced her love for him, Nadech had experienced for the first time, wanting the night to hurry so he could begin a new day, a day full of Yaya. Immediately, like his heart was programmed to swell at the sight of her, he smiled as she waved the group to a table.

“Mint,” Mark led her by the arm, “Meet Yaya, Nadech’s fiancée.”

Mint was taken aback when Yaya came forward and embraced her. “I’m so happy to meet you.”

“Thank you. Nice to meet you too.” Nobody had ever welcomed her so warmly before, as if she was a sister.

They were seated and given menus, but before they could even request beverages, Nadech’s work phone rang. He answered in a hushed tone. Once the call ended, he turned back with an apologetic expression. “Sorry everyone, something came up back at work. It’s not a big deal,” he cut in before either Mark or Oh could pump questions out of their mouths, “It’ll be over with sooner if I take care of it. You guys order and if I finish early I’ll be back.”

Nadech looked at Yaya and saw that she nodded for him to go. He laid his hand briefly over hers before getting up. “Mint, it was a pleasure meeting you. I’m sure we’ll have numerous opportunities to meet again. Thanks for taking care of Mark.”

Mint and Mark glanced at each other with affection. "It was great meeting you too."

“You need anything call me,” Oh said.

As lunch proceeded, Mint grew to admire Yaya more and more, as a woman who was confident, compassionate, beautiful in and out, who was elegant, but practical too. As for Yaya, she was fascinated by this young lady, mature beyond her years, even while she wore a printed tee with the block words ‘I MAKE GROWN MEN CRY’ underneath her navy work blazer. She was professional and respectful without losing that touch of individuality.

“…so cool that you get to work in the same place as Mark and Oh.”

Mint’s first morning in Bangkok, Mark had made her fill out a resume for a job at the company he worked at. She was accepted as an assistant to a GO manager. Mint was at first suspicious of how he might have played a role in securing her job, but she didn’t bother grilling him about it since she was pretty desperate for work. Not to mention he wouldn’t listen anyway.

“How’s the job so far? Have you met any problems?”

She shook her head. “It’s nothing too hard. I have basic knowledge of computers and other office machines." Being a fast learner, she’d become accustomed to her regular duties. This was something her coworkers resented her for since they initially thought of her as a way-too-pretty country bumpkin. It didn’t help that Mark was always dropping by during lunch and picking her up to go home. The idea that some of the women were hostile towards her simply because Mark was her boyfriend both amused and exasperated Mint because it wasn’t like she asked for or received any special treatment. If she had, Mint would have rejected the job in the first place, being a person conscious of her own abilities and her status. “Don’t worry about me. I can handle it.”

Mark grinned, recalling the same line she’d spoken when they met. That was one thing he admired about her. She never gave up nor did she ask for sympathy.

Oh breathed a little sigh. It was great seeing Mark settle down. Now if only Nadech would accept the same happiness handed to him.

“She could’ve worked for me directly—“

“But I didn’t think that was such a good idea,” Mint ended Mark’s comment.

“He’d probably never get any work done,” Oh joked, earning a face from Mark. “Don’t forget Nadech’s there too.”

At that moment, Yaya’s phone rang. “It’s my mom. I’ll be right back guys.”

“She’s perfect,” Mint remarked quietly while Yaya was gone.

“Hm?”

She laughed. “Not that it’s any of my business what my boss’ boss’ boss is doing, but from what you’ve told me of Khun Nadech, Yaya is exactly what he needs.”

“Personally, I make it a hobby to know everyone’s business,” Mark kidded.

“Don’t think of him as a boss. Think of him as a friend,” Oh encouraged. “He’s making an effort too, being less formal around you.

“Everyone has their own comfort zones,” Mint said. “He seems like a nice person and I’m sure we’ll get along, but for now, the majority of my image of Khun Nadech is as my boss.”

After they finished lunch, Yaya returned to the company with them, with a sandwich and fruit salad ordered for Nadech.

-------------
Even though the problem that arose with the supplies for the new building of the resort was merely minor, Nadech couldn't resist checking in on the suppliers once again and searching alternatives just in case such another problem should set back the project in the future. He never felt like his work was ever truly finished. There was always this or that affiliate to check in on or a new season for travelors would begin and he would have to brainstorm countless promotional campaigns; and every inspection report was sent directly to him. There was also his side responsibilities with his own investing in the stock market so Nadech was constantly in business mode--though these things appeared to have taken second lead to a new, more personal business recently.

“Boss, you have a visitor.”

Nothing was scheduled for that hour. He pressed the phone but the door swung open and in strode a most wondrous sight.

“Yaya.”

“Sorry I didn’t make an appointment.”

She certainly hadn’t made an appointment when she burst into his life, but Nadech was not sorry in the least.

Yaya crossed her arms. “Hot secretary.”

“Khun Cherman?”

She raised one brow at his inquisitive tone. “Do you happen to have other gorgeous-as-actress secretaries hidden here?”

He smiled. “Fortunately, Cherman is efficient enough that I only need one.”

“I bet you’re working her plenty already, so I came to give you lunch before you could send her on the errand.”

Grateful and pleased that she had come to meet him, Nadech shuffled his papers aside to make room for the food. He wolfed everything down in ten minutes while she let him know that her parents were going to be over for dinner.

Amused by how fast he ate, Yaya asked, “Do you have that much work to do?”

Not answering, he tossed the wrappings and bag into a garbage can and returned to his desk.

“What…?”

“The first favor you owe me.” He sat down in his chair, drew her close and pressed his temple to her stomach, arms going around her waist. The gesture was so unexpectedly sweet, as if he simply needed her to have all his weariness fade, that Yaya was instantly overbrimmed by desire to take care of him. How he must have wanted to have a shoulder to lean on while distancing himself from his loved ones, not even allowing anyone to give him a pat on the back or insist that he slow down and think for himself for once. So many years he had missed the gentle embraces of his mother, the person that would always take away one's pain, however childish or trivial they were. She ran her hand through his hair, letting him take his time to recharge.

“You look exhausted.”

“I’m fine.” Those words that would have been used indifferently were never more true. Nadech didn’t even attempt to solve the mystery of how she managed to make him feel better with a single smile, touch or thought. “Thanks for lunch.” He raised his head, rewarding her with his handsome half-smile.

“You’re welcome. Do you need help with anything?”

“I’ve got it all under control.”

“Maybe that’s your problem. You’re always so wound up. Relax a little, let your employees relax too and they’ll enjoy work more.”

“The employees here feel comfortable. They’re capable and intelligent and have no reason to be nervous.”

“But don’t you know that a boss’ attitude can affect someone’s work performance?”

Nadech couldn’t believe he let Yaya talk him into doing this. He was used to authority but felt it was at the very least unnecessary to have agreed to her idea. The two of them stood with Cherman at the entrance of the Communications Department, a large well-lit hall with desks and cubicles buzzing with life. But already the noise from nearby started dying down as the employees realized who was in their midst.

Nadech wondered why the workers eyed him with over-anxiety. One of the managers approached them, a petite thirty year old woman with short hair. “Khun Nadech, to what do we owe the pleasure of this visit?”

Cherman answered, “No worries Punch. Boss is just passing through to see the employees.”

Yaya was thankful for Cherman’s ready answer which seemed to put Manager Punch as ease, though her confusion didn’t diminish, especially when Cherman introduced Yaya as the fiancée. Kindly she held out her hand to which Punch hesitantly shook.

“It’s great to meet you in person Khun Urassaya.”

“Khun Cherman tells us that the department does excellent work. We just wanted to come by and acknowledge everyone’s dedication,” Yaya said, which brightened Punch’s face at least fifty watts.

“Thank you ma’am!”

Yaya inconspicuously elbowed Nadech. He added, “We heard you celebrated your fourth year here, Khun Worakorn. Congratulations and I thank you for your hard work.”

“Thank you sir. I’m so grateful for my job and will always set out to do my best. I love working here and I think it’s generous of you to take time to be concerned about us.”

Nadech caught Yaya’s glance and he felt his lips curve up. He hadn’t predicted that hearing an employee express pride in the company would satisfy his drive to work, like for once, he had really completed something instead of telling himself things weren’t good enough.

As they strolled past cubicles and greeted the employees, he caught smiles and returned waves and wai’s that lifted his spirit. It appeared to be very much like what Punch and Cherman were talking about: this was a place where teams triumphed. Nadech hadn’t thought that getting to know the employees was relevant to his work, but for sure, he was proven wrong, discovering exactly how much everyone’s energy and different personalities came together to reach the company’s goals.

The three left behind a department full of bright and energized faces.

"Boss, I'll get the next meeting set up for you." Cherman returned to the office first, while Nadech walked Yaya to the lobby.

"Thanks, for today," Nadech said.

"You're welcome. I think you should try to work in visits to each department if there's time in your future schedule. I know you care about your employees and seeing the face of someone who cares about them can really boost their energy."

As he had greeted the Communications employees, Nadech had noticed the decorations that personalized each person's work space, and especially the family photos. Although three desks or cubicles probably fit into one corner of his office, he felt that the others had such a lively and comfortable area, contrary to his belief that personal items distracted people from work. Maybe he should put those Khao Yai photos into use. Then he could see Yaya's face everyday. "I think I understand the feeling."

Their smiles mirrored each other.

"Hey guys, everything okay?" Mark and Oh appeared in front of them.

Mark’s eyes flickered from Nadech to Yaya and back. "Okay, I can tell we just interrupted something."

"No you didn't. I was just sending Yaya off."

"Right," Mark noted skeptically. "So uh, the meeting starts in ten minutes. Go on, hug each other or something."

Nadech's face straightened up. "I'm at work."

Mark shrugged. "So?"

Yaya smiled sheepishly. "I should be heading back now."

Oh exchanged impish glances with Mark. "None of these people care if you show a little affection towards each other. They're happy for you.

“In fact, they seem to be enjoying a little show of their icy boss and his fiancee," Mark ended with a singsong voice.

Yaya and Nadech looked around them and realized that indeed, some of the workers were eyeing them with curiosity.

She turned back to Mark. "Nadech's not icy." This earned her a look of surprise from Nadech.

Mark smirked mischievously. "Oh really?" Before the couple knew what he was doing, he turned to the mass of people and called out, "Hey everybody! Meet Khun Urassaya, your future chairman's future wife!"

“Mark!” Yaya hissed.

Everyone knew Nadech of course and Mario was quite right that the employees were interested after they had heard the news of the engagement but few were brave enough to even approach Nadech to congratulate him. So right now, many inclined their heads or called out a “Hello!” and “Congratulations!”

“Isn’t she a lovely fiancée, visiting and bringing lunch to our boss?” Mark continued, ignoring Yaya’s embarrassment.

Several grinners nodded encouragingly. One of the desk workers nearby commented, “Ah, my hubby does the same thing, bless him! Boss has really struck gold.”

Nadech bit back the bubbling laughter as he heard this and watched Yaya’s face redden.

Mario asked, “How many of you would think it is completely inappropriate for Khun Nadech to send off his fiancée with a little hug?”

Everyone paying attention, which was now literally everyone in the lobby, shook their heads with “No way!” “That’s silly!” “My wife hugs me to death every morning before I come to work…”

“Would you like for them to hug?”

There was a collective “YEAH!” for so many of the employees had a hard time imagining their stern-faced boss do anything so personal. Many were expecting Nadech to object and instead shake his beautiful fiancee’s hand because however respectful and kind he was to them, he had always been too distant to allow them to think he might be a normal person who eats street food or falls in love.

“They’re kind of shy though…”

“Hug! Hug! Hug! Hug!...”

Mark chortled merrily. “Go on then.”

With the whole lobby so enthusiastic, Yaya peered grimacingly at Nadech. She too had expected for him to refuse but instead met with a ‘what-can-I-do-about-it’ look.

Nadech rubbed his chin. “You did say I’m not icy. Will you take responsibility?” He held one arm open to her.

Narrowing her eyes at his challenging posture, Yaya walked into his arms. There were cheers as the two shared a brief but warm hug before parting again.

Mark said, “Alright then, show’s over. Nothing to see here. Back to work before you get fired. Just kidding,” he added quickly with a hearty chuckle.

“I wouldn’t to be so sure about that in our case,” Oh used his thumb to motion towards Nadech and Yaya, who both had their arms crossed.

Mark tugged at his collar. “Okay then, meeting’s about to start, gotta run. Come on Oh.”

"Don't fire us. Remember buddy, you're not icy!" Oh reminded him before they scooted away through the crowd with a fast-walk so as not to ruin their dignified manners.

-------------
As promised, Yaya’s parents joined the Phraisong household for dinner that night, with everyone in a good mood. Afterwards, they lounged in the living room, relaxing with small talk. Yaya’s mother cleared her throat and turned to face Nadech.

“To tell the truth, I was hoping to address an important issue with this visit. I’d like for you and Yaya to come to the temple with me to inquire for an auspicious date for your wedding.”

Yaya stopped mid-sentence in her conversation with Kim about plans to go jogging with Taew and Mint and rounded on her mother. “Mom…”

“I’ve spoken with your father and Khun Norachai. They both agree it’s the most appropriate thing to do.”

“Yes,” she said, feeling Nadech’s eyes on her, “but it’s too soon.”

“Is it?” Champa asked Nadech.

He answered, “I have no objections.”

“See? He…” Yaya trailed off, finally returning his gaze, “…has no objections?”

Nadech shook his head.

“Excellent!” Khun Champa exclaimed. “How does this Monday work for you?”

“Perfect. As long as Yaya can get off work.”

“I…I’m sure Jack wouldn’t mind.” She was working with the organization to finish last minute preparations.

Nadech felt Oh’s congratulatory slap on his back while his father and Khun Arich shook hands in celebration. Father and son found eye contact. For the first time in years, Nadech smiled at his dad.

-------------
jjinxx

Vimalee

Live Love Laugh
Thanks so much jjinxx.

Just came back from family functions and saw your update. You made my day again!

Awww, she said "I love you" to him first. That was so sweet of her to say that since he is still "learning/feeling" this new emotion.

I'm happy to see how their love story has been played out but kind of sad at the same time that it is going to end soon.

SDLF has been occupying my mind for a while now and I'm not ready to let it go yet!

jjinxx

@Vimalee: Thanks for reading! hehehe, not too sure how soon it will end but yes, we are heading near the ending.

Chapter 26 Love’s Remedy

Yaya hummed to herself cheerfully as she entered the house. On her way back from Jack’s place, she had picked up the last few developed pictures to her new photo album, which starred Nadech as the main subject.

She sighed in excitement to have it finished up. Should she show it to him? Something told her that if she did, he would smile again. Even though that lit-up face was forever imprinted in her head and already filling just about every page of the new album, she could not get enough of seeing it with her eyes each new time.

She saw that he was out in the backyard, watching the twilight set in. “Hey.”

He turned to her, a smile curving his eyes already. “Have you eaten?”

“Yeah. Um, I have something I want to show you. I’ll be right back.” Just this once she would give him a peek at her project in-the-making.

Nadech heard someone approaching him and thought it was Yaya, but instead Kim appeared at his side. “Hey kiddo.”

Kiddo. Kim never realized how much he called her that, just like P’Oh. She was really just like a sister to Nadech.

“How come you’re back so late today?” Nadech asked strictly. “Oh told me about what happened in Hua Hin, that Boy said you were a little tipsy at the beach. You have to be more careful of yourself when drinking alcohol.”

“Yes P’Nadech,” she bowed her head.

He smiled and nudged her shoulder. “It’s okay. I know you’re responsible. Don’t let Oh hold you back from having fun. By the way, I heard that Boy dropped you off?” He paused. “Is there…something going on between the two of you?” Little was he interested in the lives of people outside his family, but of course, Kim was like a little sister to him and he couldn’t help looking out for her always.

Kim gulped. “If there was, what would you say?”

He took a deep breath. “Well, he’s someone we’ve known for a long time. I think as far as trust goes, I can have faith in him to take care of you. That is, if that’s what you two are working towards.”

Her stomach twisted in melancholy, although she should have been prepared anyway. Hadn’t she already given up? There was only one way to find out.

“P’Nadech.”

“Hm?”

Nadech couldn’t have been more shocked when Kim kissed him. When she pulled away, he asked, “Kim, why did you do that?”

She winced guiltily but they were distracted as the back door banged close, drawing their attention to Yaya who was standing on the porch with her eyes frozen on them. The door’s loud noise snapped her out of it and she lowered her eyes in confusion before heading back inside.

“What have I done?” Kim groaned. “Yaya…”

“Wait,” Nadech held her back.

“P’Nadech, go after her! Hurry! Oh my god, why am I so stupid? Why aren’t you going?” Her vision was blurring in tears of shame that spilled down her face. Frantic to make things right, Kim took two steps forward but he had not let her go. “P’Nadech, please, go and explain to Yaya that this was a mistake!”

“Before I can do that, I need an explanation from you. I can’t clear this up unless you’re honest with me. Kim,” he put his hands on his hips, not mad, but in a stern attitude very much like an elder brother, “what’s going on?”

“I just wanted…” she sighed in frustration, “I don’t know what I wanted. I mean, I know that I’ve always wanted to be with you but now you have Yaya and I can’t be with you and P’Boy says he likes me and Yaya is such a n-nice person. I can’t believe I did this!” She fell to a squat, burying her face in her arms, no longer crying, just angry with herself and the mixed storm inside her. “I’m sorry.”

He took a deep breath and pulled her up. “Kim, it’s okay.”

“No, things are not okay,” she shook her head. “I’m sorry. You already told me that things can’t change. I know the way you are. Even if you didn’t love Yaya, you would never betray the person you promised to take care of.”

Nadech’s heart did a double take.

She sniffled. “You love her, don’t you?”

Yaya ignored the gentle knocking at her door, but it was persistent, so she finally pushed herself off her bed.

“Took you long enough…” she muttered. But it was not Nadech begging for forgiveness. It was Kim. Stunned, Yaya just stared.

“Yaya,” Kim said in a controlled voice, though she was desperate to right her wrongs, “please don’t be mad at P’Nadech. He didn’t do anything, it was my fault.” She hung her head remorsefully. “It was all my fault for being foolish. It’s just…Oh, I have no excuse. But please listen to me, I didn’t mean to hurt you or get in between you two.”

Yaya supposed she should be angry, but she wasn’t. She already had past suspicions that Kim had more than platonic feelings for Nadech, which was now confirmed. She motioned Kim inside, where they sat on the couch. “It’s okay Kim.”

“No,” Kim shook her head furiously. “It’s not okay. I should have just accepted that nothing would change. I’m really sorry that you had to see me being so reckless. I’ve been…out of it lately. I don’t expect for you to forgive me but please hear me out. I’ve always loved P’Nadech, but he…he’s only loved me like a sister. When you came into our lives, the first thing he told me when I admitted my feelings was that he could only see me as a friend.” She squeezed her eyes so the tears couldn’t form. She was feeling pathetic enough without bawling her eyes out in front of the woman who had only tried to be her friend all this time, and whom she did not need pity from. “It would always be like that.”

“Maybe things would have been different if we had never met…”

“But that’s the thing,” Kim said earnestly, “I don’t believe that’s possible.”

“What do you mean?” Yaya asked curiously.

“Fate wouldn’t have it any other way. Somehow, you would have met P’Nadech and…he would have chosen you. And if that didn’t happen, he would never have ended up with me anyway. I’ve been in denial for so long.” She took Yaya’s hands. “Please, don’t be mad at him.”

Yaya met her eager and guilty eyes and didn’t have the heart to hold a grudge. She had once been in a love that had disappointed her and had hurt her. The reason she had survived it was because of Kim’s Nadech, and that had caused Kim to be hurt. “In a way, I should be asking you for forgiveness.”

Kim understood what she meant and shook her head again, refusing such unwarranted sympathy. “You have nothing to be sorry for when it was destiny that led you to him. It led me to him too, and I’m thankful he has always seen me as someone important to him. But Yaya, you’re someone he really needs.”

She frowned. “I’m sure he can survive without me.”

“Not from what I see. You’ve really changed him.”

Skeptical, Yaya went on, “Let’s just put this behind us. Is that okay with you?”

Kim could barely believe what she heard. “R-really? But aren’t you mad at me?”

“Well I can’t deny that I would rather have not seen what I saw, but I understand how you feel.”

How could someone so good exist? It just confirmed to Kim more how much Nadech needed Yaya. “I just wanted to clear up all the mixed feelings inside of me. P’Nadech is such a special person that I thought I might be wrong to give him up. It’s been like a roller coaster for me these last few weeks. Yaya, I’m really sorry. You’ve been a friend to me, but all I thought about was myself. I guess love made selfish but all I want now is for him to be happy. And" she sighed, "You’re the only one who can do that for him.”

Yaya smiled. From the warmth in her eyes, Kim did not need to ask to know that Yaya loved Nadech. “How about we start over as friends? We are both a part of Nadech’s life, so I don’t want him to ever feel like he has to choose between the people he,” Yaya was about to say ‘loves’ but switched to, “cares about.”

Grateful, Kim let out the breath she had held. “I…I don’t know what to say.”

“How about yes?” Kim nodded, much to Yaya’s pleasure. “And let’s always be honest with each other from now on. Okay?”

“Okay.” In front of Kim was a woman who had a big heart and who saw the good in everyone. Yaya became yet another person Kim felt she should look up to. Just like the way Nadech was a special person in her heart, Yaya must be someone very special to Nadech. There was no way around it anymore after failing to revive her hopes that Nadech might be hers.

“To start out, I have a question. And you have to answer truthfully. Did you feel anything when you kissed him?” Yaya just had to be sure she wasn’t hurting someone who she saw as a little sister.

“No.” The answer surprised both of them. Kim’s heart skipped to hear herself say this. “It was just…blank.” They stared at each other and burst out laughing.

“I made it sound like P’Nadech was a boring book.” Kim hiccupped to reign in her laughter. “I don’t know what happened. But there was no feeling at all, unlike with…” She stopped and blushed deeply.

Yaya gasped. “What? What? There’s someone else, isn’t there?”

Kim hid her face behind a pillow. “Er…Well…”

“Spill!” All possible hard feelings were tossed aside as they discovered they were not a threat to one another after all. “What is it? Unlike whom?”

Kim felt a grin on her face. “Do you remember Boy?”

Yaya looked up thoughtfully. “Yeah. I’ve seen him around with Mario. Oh my gosh!” Her eyes grew round. “Is he the one? What happened?”

“It was in Hua Hin. He—I mean we kissed and—“

“Kim!”

“It was nothing! I was even a little drunk but…”

“But you felt something,” Yaya finished for her. “Do you know what I realized? Perhaps you’re right that fate led me to him. Your fate might have been closer to you than you thought Kim. It’s true when they say there isn’t a remedy for love except to love more.”

Kim nodded. It felt so comforting to have someone she could share these experiences with. She couldn’t imagine trying to explain the growing feelings she had for Boy with either Mario or Nadech and she didn’t see her school friends often enough to have such a close relationship. “Yaya, I’m glad to have you as a friend.” And instead of starting that companionship off with regret, Kim said, “Thank you. There are so many things I have to thank you for. For understanding me. For forgiving me. And for taking care of my brother.”

In response, Yaya hugged her. The two ladies felt whatever tension in their hearts lightening to this promise of a new friendship.

Something was bugging Yaya though. “Er, where is he?”

“P’Nadech? He…said he had more work to do before bed.” She glanced guiltily to the side where Nadech’s bedroom was, as if it was also her fault that she hadn’t been able to convince Nadech to come over.

“Work?” Yaya gaped. He seriously had work to do? He really didn’t know the magnitude of what just happened? Yaya was able to forgive Kim because it was obvious she felt remorseful for her actions, but even if Nadech hadn’t been at fault, wasn’t he even concerned about how she might be feeling?

Nervously, Kim asked, “You’re upset with him aren’t you?”

“Yeah,” was Yaya’s short reply, glaring at the wall hard as if lasers could shoot from her eyes and roast that ignorant man on the other side. She turned to reassure Kim. “It has nothing to do with you. I just have to give him another lesson on emotions…”

-------------
“Come in.”

“What’s this work you have to do that’s so urgent you didn’t come talk to me?” Yaya had planned on opening up with a lighter subject but couldn’t hold in her disappointment.

Setting his papers down, Nadech looked up. “Sorry. Is there something we had to talk about? Oh, what were you going to show me earlier?”

Yaya was speechless that he appeared to have forgotten she had just seen him kissing someone else. “You know what? Never mind.” She muttered under her breath, “I suppose having only kissed one person in his life made him curious about what it’d feel like with other people…”

“Excuse me?” He asked.

She turned back with a deep frown. “Don’t you know that you’ve done something wrong?”

“Really?” Nadech pushed the chair back and stood to face her seriously. “And what would that be?”

“You…you kissed someone else and just left me hanging in confusion,” she answered incredulously at how he didn’t even realize the obvious.

“Correction, someone else kissed me.”

She glowered at him. “You let her.”

“What happened was totally unexpected. Since when was I able to read minds?” he asked drolly. “Didn’t Kim explain things to you? It was just a mistake on her part.”
“Yeah, well,” It was true that Yaya didn’t believe Nadech had wanted to kiss Kim but… “The point is that you didn't even bother to ask me how I felt about what happened. Aren’t you even a little sorry about the incident?”

“I did nothing wrong. Why should I apologize?”

“Because…” Her mouth hung open while searching for valid reasons for her to be angry at him, “W-why didn’t YOU come explain things to me? I mean, weren’t you at least worried that I might have misunderstood what was going on?”

“That was Kim’s job, not mine. I believe she regrets what happened but I trust you two will be able to work things out because you’re both mature. Kim wasn’t purposely trying to do something wrong.”

“Right, right,” she muttered darkly, “we did work things out and I hold no grudge against her because I honestly do know what she’s feeling. But still. I should have heard your side of it too.”

“My side of the story is that what happened meant nothing. What’s the matter? Are you,” Nadech cocked his head in observance, “jealous?”

“YES.”

He blinked back at her. “Why?”

She spluttered at how emotionally ignorant he was. Once again, she felt the urge to strangle him till he turned blue and she would not even be sorry.

He went on obliviously. “Kim and I hold a platonic relationship and I talked to her again so that now nothing can be misunderstood in the future. In fact, I’m sure she was only feeling vulnerable to your presence because I’m like a brother to her. There’s nothing going on between us, therefore, there’s no reason for you to be jealous.”

“Jealousy,” Yaya closed her eyes for a second to calm down her raging heart so she could clearly explain the situation to him, “has nothing to do with what you feel towards others. It’s rooted in what I feel towards you.”

“Then it’s all the more logical that you shouldn’t be feeling jealous because you should trust me.”

Why did he always have the ability to make her feeling foolish? She tried again to make him understand. “I do trust you, but that does not make me immune to being upset when I see you with other…women. I mean, if you saw me kiss another man, wouldn’t you be jealous?”

“I wouldn’t approve of it, but if the truth is that you have no romantic feelings for him and if it was an accident like what happened with Kim and me, then I doubt something as irrational as jealousy would possess me.”

“Fine.” She gave up. Someone as stoic and cool as he was would never feel jealous even if she French kissed someone else.

Nadech watched her leave, and could tell she was still very displeased with him. He just didn’t understand what the point of jealousy was though. It wasn’t as if he had intended to let Kim kiss him; shouldn’t she understand that? If two people shared mutual feelings then why get worked up over simple actions that had no meaning?

Nadech thought over her words. Would he be jealous if he saw her with another man? He plopped back down on his chair, trying to conjure up that kind of image, but the logic of such a scenario just didn't function well in his brain. "Well, obviously there would be no point in telling me she loves me if she was just going to be with someone else. No," he shook his head decisively, "I wouldn't get jealous."

-------------Author's note
I did not know there was such a thing as 'Emotional Quotient'. What would you rate Nadech P's EQ on a scale of 1 to 10?

jjinxx

Vimalee

Live Love Laugh
Oh Nadech, when it comes down to matters of the heart, sometimes you cannot be too logical!

I would rate him a 3. I almost gave him a 2 but decided to give him an extra point for being calm, cool and logical.

Yes jjinxx, there is such thing as EQ and it is even more important than IQ. People who has higher EQ are more happier because

they tend to handle life's issues better.

He said he would not get jealous of Yaya if someone gives her a smooch and she has nothing to do with it.

jjinxx, why don't you bring back Yuke and have him kisses Yaya and see if Nadech could just stood there and doesn't feel jealous.

I bet his blood pressure would shoot through the roof, but wait, he might be just upset and not jealous.

Oiyyyy, you just cannot win with a person as stoic as he is.

chubbycheeks

imma kick ur-ass-aya !
I agree with Vimalee! Nadech's EQ is a definite 3. He is right that he didn't do anything wrong but regardless kissing someone else who is not Yaya is forbidden lol. I was thinking the same thing as Vimalee by bringing Yuke or someone else to test Nadech's feelings. If he feels greedy of wanting Yaya all to himself during her bday party I'm sure he'll be just as selfish to not have any man associate with her either. But I actually really like this chapter because it'll eventually help show that Yaya really is the perfect person for Nadech who can alter all these changes to his personality and they'll grow to love each other more. Okay I'll stop blabbing now lol

jjinxx

@Vimalee: lol I thought Nadech would get slightly higher, but judging from this chapter, it does seem like Nadech is even more pokerface than I thought. that doesn't mean he doesn't have feelings though. you shall find out how much is boiling inside him in the next update. indeed, he needs to learn to channel feelings better.

@Chubbycheeks: 555 I couldn't even let Yuke kiss Yaya, so I went for a hug instead. Indeed Nadech needs to learn to channel his feelings better and I agree that Yaya is just the right person since she is very expressive.

Chapter 27 Trivial Trigger

The next afternoon, it was with silence that Yaya and Nadech arrived at Golden Bridge Hotel. Mark had reserved the entire fourth floor of the hotel, one of two branches of city lodging inns ran by the Phraisongs’ company.

Nadech side-glanced Yaya, who was stubbornly not talking to him. He held in a sigh, still not sure what to do so she could move on from last night’s incident. He truly felt he’d done nothing wrong so it was with increasing perplexity that he could not figure out why she was mad at him.

When they reached the fourth floor, Mario strode toward them, lips pressed in a straight frown. He leaned in to say quietly to Nadech, “Be nice.”

They turned to the dining area and Nadech and Yaya were able to see what Oh was talking about. There amidst all the uniformed decorators was Yuke, who was instructing several of the staff what to do with the tables.

Once Yuke realized Yaya was present, he broke out in a lavish smile. Ignoring the guys completely, he went straight to her and hugged her. “Yaya, I’ve been promoted.”

She struggled until she escaped his embrace, then said, “That’s real great. Excuse me, I have to help Mark out with the preparations.” She looked around and discovered that Nadech was already making his way towards Taew and Mark, with Oh trailing after him, looking uneasily back at her.

“Yaya, I—“

“Yuke, please do the job you came here for. I don’t think this is the right time for us to talk.”

Not wanting to disrupt Mark as he described how the room was going to be set up, Yaya stole glances at Nadech but he did not pay her any mind while intently listening to Mark. When they were given some tasks to do, Nadech surprised her by giving her a tiny smile before setting up his ladder by the wall.

Although she was relieved that he wasn’t troubled by Yuke’s presence, she sulked to herself. He had really meant it when he said that he wouldn’t get jealous over her.

-------------
“Left. A little more. More. Too far, go right. More. Ok, it’s crooked now.”

Mario growled lowly in frustration when he heard the word ‘Ok’ and thought he was done only to have Mark instruct him and Nadech to keep fixing the banner on the wall.

“Mark,” he tried not to express his impatience since his friend was under enough pressure for the evening. “I’m sure she won’t notice if the banner is off by an inch.”

“But I’ll know and I’ll regret it forever that not everything was perfect when I proposed to Mint,” Mark explained as if it should be plainly obvious to everyone how OCD he was.

Taking pity, Yaya stood and looked over the white silk banner that read in romantic writing ‘I love you’ with a critical eye. “Hm, it looks just about perfect.”

“You think?” Mark asked, turning his head back to normal from its sideways position that he had been examining the banner with. “Yeah, me too. Ok guys, you can come down now.”

“Finally,” Mario and Nadech said under their breaths.

“Uh, Nadech.” Mark threw a quick look over his shoulder before whispering. “Sorry about that. I hadn’t realized he worked for Rosa.” Rosa was a décor company of special events.

Nadech shrugged off Mark's guilt over having Yuke there. “Doesn’t bother me. Hey, just focus on your goal tonight, alright? We’re here for you.”

Mark nodded gratefully. “I’m going to the kitchens to make sure they have all the preparations for dinner.”

“I’ll bet Chef Rita kicks him out. It’s his third time down there,” Oh snickered, handing more roses to Taew, who was arranging them into a vase with Yaya.

The professional team of decorators was currently bustling around them but Mark’s friends had volunteered to help out too. Kim was out showing the city to Mint and Auntie Sri so Mint wouldn’t get curious what Mark was up to.

“Thanks,” Taew smiled at one of the assistants to Yuke. The man winked at her and set off to find a new task.

Oh cast a withering look at the man’s back. “He was flirting with you.”

“No he wasn’t. He barely said a word,” Taew countered, though it wasn’t much comfort. Half the men in the room had their eyes on her. She was, after all, a well-known model.

“Uh, I’m a guy, so I understand the non-language of guys and that guy was totally hitting on you with his long-lashed pretty boy wink.” Oh grumpily tossed some discarded stems into a bag. “I mean, how would you like it if some lady winked at me and I batted my lashes back at her like this?” He put on a doll face and fluttered his eyelids.

“That’s disturbing,” Nadech commented. “Don’t do it again.”

Taew said, “To answer your question, I wouldn’t mind. Just as long as you don’t verbally flirt back.”

“And what if I do?” Oh challenged.

Taew narrowed her eyes at him, held up a rose and clipped off the majority of the stem menacingly. “Imagine that as a part of your body that would feel the most pain.”

Oh gulped. “Dang, am I just learning now that you’re the jealous type?”

“No, I’m the type that doesn’t flirt inappropriately and expect the same from you. But you can’t be too possessive either,” she added.

Yaya nodded approvingly. She met Nadech’s gaze and gruffly looked away.

“Well you can’t blame me for being possessive, right Nadech?”

He spared Mario a relaxed momentary look. “Doesn’t seem like a big deal to me.”

Oh gaped at him. “Right. Just you wait until you see Yaya shaking hands with a guy. I bet you’ll go ballistic. Watch out Yaya. Underneath his cool exterior is a green, green jealous man.”

“I would never be affected by something so slight. I don’t get jealous,” was Nadech’s confident defense.

Yaya exhaled huffily.

Twirling a ranch of baby’s breath flowers in his fingers, Nadech watched Yaya clip off the end of a rose and tuck it into the vase. “Do you like flowers?”

Reluctant to make peace, she simply murmured, “M-hm.”

Trying to ease her from her crankiness, he continued, “What kind do you like best?”

She replied, “I like all kinds. My mom’s very serious with her garden and I’ve always helped her.” She sighed again lightly. “I should visit her and take a look at how the hydrangeas are doing.”

“You can visit your parents after your appointment at the temple,” Oh suggest with a playful glint in his eye. “You know, after you guys come back with a set date for us to look forward to.”

Nadech couldn’t help joining in on Oh’s grinning, seeing Yaya’s face warm up into a blush that almost reached the color of the pink rose she was holding.

“I-I’m going to call and check up on Max. He might be digging up the tulips that have just started opening.” She fumbled around for her phone.

“Max will be fine,” Nadech assured her. “Auntie Pam completely adores him.”

“So that’s what you were planting.” Oh turned to Taew. “I saw her out there once obsessing over how much fertilizer to use. She came inside with a real, uh, unappealing smell. Don’t worry Nadech, I’m sure you’ll get used to it.”

“Mario…” Yaya chided with a smile, forgetting about her phone call. “Fertilizer is important to the health and growth of plants.”

“Hey, have you tried out the new Miracle-Gro Extreme Planters’ Food?” Taew asked. The girls found they had a lot in common and were able to develop a fast familiarity. “My wisterias doubled in abundance after a dose of those.”

“Really? I was thinking of experimenting with some organic stuff. The horses at the estate will provide plenty—“

“Shit!” Mark marched back into the dining area towards them.

“That’s what we were just talking about!” Oh laughed.

Taew nudged him. “Settle down. What’s wrong Mark?”

“Me! I can’t believe I ordered pudding! Besides spicy foods, that’s the second thing Mint dislikes most! Argh! I was all swept up in making this romantic and forgot she doesn’t like pudding! What am I going to do?”

“Just tell the chef not to make it,” Oh shrugged.

“But the ring was supposed to be put in there. What do I use now?”

“Cake?”

“Ice cream?” These were the girls’ suggestions.

“Yes,” Mark muttered to himself, “Cake or ice cream…but which one?”

“If she likes both, does it matter?” Nadech asked.

Yes, it matters. If I change the dessert, I have to change the rest of the dishes so they all match and complement each other. I mean, you wouldn’t eat steamy lobster soup and all of a sudden go to ice cold sorbet.”

The girls exchanged looks that said, ‘I would.’

“And Cassoulet with an Italian salad and lemon cake would be a disaster!” Mark ended inhaling and exhaling hard. “That’s it. I can’t handle this. I’m calling it off.”

“Hey!” The other four raised out of their seats to stop him from leaving.

“Stop and relax,” Oh said, steering him into a seat. “Who said you had to propose to her with the ring in food? I mean, sure it’s romantic but no need to jump on the bandwagon and do what everyone else does.”

He was trying to reassure Mark, but instead, his words made Mark doubt the originality of his plans. To make matters worse, Nadech chimed in, “Besides, what if she accidentally eats the ring and chokes?”

There was a moment of dawning for Mark. “Oh my gosh! What was I thinking?!”

“That’s the thing about love. It makes you NOT think,” Oh shook his head sympathetically.

Yaya met Taew’s exasperated look. “Mark,” she said calmly, “It doesn’t matter how you propose. As long as you clearly express how much you love her, I know Mint will be confident of your feelings and would gladly accept you.”

Taew nodded in encouragement. “You obviously care about her a lot. And you know her best, so just trust yourself.”

“Okay,” he sighed. “You’re right. Sorry I’ve been so irritating. I’m just really nervous.”

They convinced Mark everything was in order and continued with the preparations until Mint was about to arrive and Mark had changed into his black suit.

Oh and Taew left earlier because he was going on a business trip with Nadech’s father, while Taew had to meet with her manager. Then Nadech and Yaya prepared to leave.

“She’ll be here in five minutes. Thanks for all your help.”

“No problem. I’ll be expecting the good news,” Nadech replied. He and Mark shared some kind of manly handshake-hug combination. “You’ll do fine."

“Oh wait.” Yaya smoothed out Mark’s tie. “There. Perfect.” She too hugged him with fondness.

As they waited for an elevator, Yaya cooed in excitement. “I can’t wait for the good news! Oh Mark, he’s suffered so much anxiety over this planning. I’ll be happy for him once it’s over and Mint proves that he’s had nothing to worry about all along.” She clapped her hands like a toddler enjoying a firework show. “Then they’ll get married!”

“And you can congratulate him with a hug.” Nadech spoke nonchalantly, as if he meant to talk to himself but couldn’t help letting her overhear.

Peering over, Yaya indeed noticed the way he avoided looking at her and pressed the elevator button with the smallest note of impatience. Her confusion quickly melted into amusement. “Were you jealous?”

He scoffed. “Of what?”

“When I hugged him.”

“Who?”

“Mark,” she answered instead of mentioning Yuke.

“That’s completely absurd. Mark likes Mint. You like me. There’s no reason for me to be jealous because you and Mark have no romantic feelings for each other,” he laid out the reasoning.

“So what if we did like each other? Just as a hypothetical situation. Would you be jealous then?”

Nadech narrowed his eyes at her. “No, because whether hypothetical or not, the truth is Mark is proposing to Khun Mint. And you DON’T like each other.” He emphasized the ‘don’t’ and turned back to the elevator which had still not arrived and tsked. “I’m taking the stairs.”

“Wait for me.” She followed him into the stair exit. As the exit door swung shut, one of the elevators finally dinged open, and out stepped Mint.

“Why are you upset?”

“I’m not upset. Just like how I’m not jealous,” Nadech replied in an even tone, free of distress. Yaya twisted her mouth, recognizing that uncompromising Pokerface.

“So you don’t mind of I do congratulate Mark with a hug?”

“No.”

“Or Mario when his time comes?”

“Nope.”

“Or Tye, or Pope, or Porshe, or Kane—“

“Whoa, whoa,” he stopped at floor 2. “Who are all these men?”

She shrugged, “My friends. But hey, I have no romantic feelings for any of them. Although I used to have a crush on Pope when we met.” He wheeled around with a dubious look blazing his face. She pointed at him. “Are you jealous now?”

Nadech turned back but she grabbed his arm, laughing softly. She couldn’t stay mad at him forever. “I was kidding ok? I was just teasing you. I agree that jealousy is irrational and uncalled for and it’s a good sign to me that you’re not the jealous type.”

Nadech gave her a surly nod. They continued down the last flight of stairs and out the door into the lobby. “And even though you weren't jealous, I really was only hugging Mark because he’s a good friend whom I want to support. He put so much effort into preparing for his proposal for Mint, after all.”

“Looks like your fiancé could use advice from his friend.” Yuke ambled toward them. “I’d like to talk with Yaya.”

Nadech was normally a courteous person but the way Yuke requested for Yaya as if it was an everyday occurrence for the two of them to meet privately did not fly well with him.

Before either men could share their animosity out loud, Yuke was surpassed by a woman making straight for Nadech.

“Khun Nadech, I have some things to speak with you about. Spare me some time now please?” View didn’t even acknowledge Yaya before dragging Nadech across the lobby.

“Popular guy,” Yuke noted, though he was hardly intending to compliment Nadech.

Yuke had been too busy to make a move towards her again and Yaya had hoped that he wouldn’t be able to catch them on their way out. Sighing shortly, she asked, “What is it, Yuke?”

“When Mark hired us, I thought I might see you here. I wanted to give this to you. Happy belated birthday.” He handed her some flowers and a teddy bear.

“Thanks. You really didn’t have to.” She wasn’t eager to accept his gifts but she found it hard to brush off a person’s thoughtfulness.

“So anyway, it’s pretty big what Khun Mark is doing. You can’t help but compare all his elaborate preparations to,” he shot Nadech a smug smirk, “a phone call. Oh wait, he barely knew you. All that mattered to him was that his house didn’t fall into your parents’ possession.”

Snapping her attention back to Yuke, Yaya asked with suspicion, “How do you know about that?” It was impossible he’d learned that reason from Nadech himself when it was so personal.

He shrugged. “I was in Hua Hin and coincidentally, that girl who lives with him mentioned it. I just happened to be nearby when she let it slip to her boyfriend that your fiancé’s only incentive in marrying you was so he could keep his house.” Yuke scoffed. “It’s pretty pathetic.”

Was he talking about Kim? “Not that it’s any of your business but Nadech is a caring, loving and considerate person to everyone and he always thinks of others before himself,” she replied firmly.

“He was so considerate that he didn’t even think about how you would feel when he used you?”

Her brow drew together in an indignant scowl. “That was in the past, and Nadech has never once asked anything from me that I couldn’t do or would hurt me.” She momentarily looked to the other two and was dismayed to see View holding Nadech’s arm as if it was a life line.

“…he’ll just leave you once he finds the people he’s looking for.”

Yaya’s heart dropped. She took a heavy step forward and drew herself up as tall as possible. “What do you know about Nadech’s search?”

Yuke was taken aback by her hard voice. “Like I said, his adopted sister or whatever she is mentioned it.” He crossed his arms. “It’s the real reason why he wanted to marry you. But it’s unacceptable that you’re suffering for his sake.”

Yaya's patience waned fast at his persistent belief that she should return to him. “Listen closely Yuke,” she said quietly, her eyes burning into his, “I don’t know how you see me, but I am very happy with Nadech. You need to accept that what we had is over. I’m not blaming you, because it takes two people to end a relationship. But if you want to remain a person who I care about you have to stop trying to interfere with my life. You’re wrong. I know Nadech cares about me, and I…I love him.”

Nadech watched Yaya move closer to Yuke. Ok, now he was upset. “Khun Wannarot, please excuse me. If you or your father has any more questions, you may contact my assistant and she will make sure to help you.”

Disentangling his arm from her, he strode back to the other side.

View stomped once in annoyance and stalked out lividly.

There. Those were the words that Yuke hadn’t expected but which somewhere in his mind, he knew existed. He felt the determination to win her back dissipate painfully, like a puddle evaporating.

“I don’t think I ever planned to forget that we had a ten year friendship. But the things you’re saying to make me lose confidence in Nadech show that the person you are thinking about is yourself, not me. He’s gone through more than you know, so I can’t forgive you for accusing him so harshly. You’ve changed and I don’t know if it’s worth the effort to become friends again.”

“You’re the one who’s changed,” he replied quietly.

“Maybe. If so, I hope the person I’ve become can give Nadech all the love he deserves.”

“Yaya, I’m sorry.” It was all he could utter, all his arguments running down the drain, however much he still wanted her back.

Yaya stepped forward and wrapped an arm around to pat his back lightly. “Me too. I’m sorry I’ve lost a friend.”

“No…” he shook his head. Hands fisted, Yuke walked out to meet Nadech in the middle of the lobby.

“Excuse me. It’s late so Yaya and I should be returning,” Nadech said.

“Can’t you just accept that your people are gone and let Yaya go?”

“What?” He had no idea what Yuke was saying.

“I don’t know what kind of pity story you used, but it’s not going to last. You don’t truly love her.”

“You’re the one who let her go and you weren’t exactly thinking about her feelings at the time.” The memory was vivid in Nadech's mind of the first tears he had seen from Yaya. Slowly, his hands formed fists.

It was a mistake Yuke would never be able to erase. The more Yaya pushed him away though, the more desperate he became to hold onto that thin thread holding her to him. Determined not to let things end being the one solely in pain, he said, “You’re just another of the lost puppies she takes in to heal. She’ll realize you don’t belong together. You were selfish to bring her into your family problems because you’re not competent enough to find—“

Yuke received a sharp slap from Yaya, who was breathing heavily with anger. “That’s enough. You’re the one who’s being selfish. Yuke, you’re making me realize that you're the person I never belonged with all along. I never would have thought I could regret loving you, but the person you've become disappoints me.” She was trembling with fury for Yuke’s stubbornness. “You have no right to insult Nadech. We’re leaving and I’m begging you to just stop before I can never look at you again.”
She pulled Nadech roughly and steered him to the lobby entrance where she indeed parted from a long time friend.

Yuke watched their reflections dissolve after the revolving door slowed and knew he could not do or say anything to win back any feelings from her except contempt.

-------------
On the way home, Yaya glanced over and asked, “What did you and Khun View talk about?”

“Work-related business.”

“Ah…and work-related business was also related to arm squeezing?”

“What?”

“I just couldn’t help noticing how attached to you she was.”

“I wasn’t exactly comfortable with it either.” Too bad for View that she didn’t know Nadech’s indifference to physical contact when it came to being someone who was not Yaya. “Why? Were you jealous?” Nadech paid close attention to her reaction from the corner of his eye.

She crossed her arms. “Please. I believe we agreed that jealousy is pointless and irrational.”

“And what were you two talking about? Visiting memory lane?”

It was her turn to ask, “What?”

“I just couldn’t help noticing that friendly hug you gave him. Is he getting married?” Nadech asked with extremely dry humor, bordering on sarcasm.

“No.”

“Or was it your way of thanking him for the gifts?” His voice expressed that he obviously did not think very highly of said gifts.

No. Why? Were you jealous?” Yaya continued the echoing of each other’s tense words.

Hands tightening around the steering wheel, Nadech answered, “Please. Jealousy is a waste of energy.”

-------------Author's note
555 I think when Nadech is with Yaya, his EQ doubles, which is significant however small his normal EQ is to start out with. Hopefully I'm back soon to finish this jealousy episode. Peace out.

jjinxx

Dal

***LOVE, LOVE YADECH***
Thank you, Jjinxxy! I love this!!!

@Chubbycheeks, I thought that for a moment, but Mark said Davika is the name her aunt gave to her, right?

We know something Yaya doesn't know and Yaya knows something we don't know. Suspenses!!! Mystery!!!

chubbycheeks

imma kick ur-ass-aya !
@ Dal ohhhh right! Either way I'm sure Mint is Nadech's sister but ohgosh the mysteries. I'm so anxious to read what's going to happen next. hehe

Vimalee

Live Love Laugh
Thanks again jjinxx, another great chapter!

Can't wait for next chapters. I have my own version in my head, but I don't think it would be great or exciting like yours.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

chubbycheeks

imma kick ur-ass-aya !
So I finally read the side stories and I really like that you've seperated the other couples love stories from Yadech. Boy and Kim are so cute!

But Pokerface really needs to give Yaya a lot of reassuring kisses to make up for his ignorance of emotions lol.

Vimalee

Live Love Laugh
@chubbycheeks, I agree with you!

Yaya already said she loves Nadech and he hasn't said that magic word to her yet. Call me old fashion or whatever, but I think

it takes a lot of courage for a girl to say that to a guy first. I understood that he is still learning and experiencing this new

uncharged territory so he is slow in the romance department. Well, Nadech, you have a life time to make that up to her, but don't

wait too long though because you might regret it later.

I really like Yaya's character. She might be a bit immature and spoiled at the beginning, but as the story was unfolded, she has become a strong,

compassionate and caring person. She has a heart of gold and I love her free spirit! She cares so much for her family and friends. She took in

those sick animals and tried to nurture and care for them but at the end they still left her. When she learned of Nadech's family situation, she

tried to reach out to him, understand him and care for him both physically and emotionally.

I will feel sad when SDLF ends but everything has the beginning and the end. :lmao:

chubbycheeks

imma kick ur-ass-aya !
Couldn't agree more Vimalee. It's rare to find a strong girl who will admit loving a guy first. I really liked her character since the beginning as she was super fiesty and strong but compassionate and caring at the same time. She's super cute and childish too like how she ate 2 buckets full of ice cream when she saw Yuke at the party. Jjinxx did a great job with writing her character out and I could just vividly imagine Yaya really taking on this role. Thumbs up to Jjinxx! :thumbsup: Nadech really needs to prove something to her and yes, he has not said the word "love" to her yet.

Vimalee

Live Love Laugh
Me too, I really like Yaya's character since the beginning of the story. The scene where she stumbled and fell down and then her long silky hair

freed from the cap reminded me of DJA where she took off her helmet and Fai said, "yai Jeed!!!"

Yes, Yaya is a very strong and understanding girl. She could forgive Kim who kissed her fiance and then turned around and asked Kim for

forgiveness because she came in between them. Wow, Nadech, you must have done something really good in the past life to have met Yaya in this

life. I believe it is fate or destiny that both of them meet in this life both in jinxx's fan fic and in reality. Both of them become koo

kwaun?, an on screen couple, at such a young age and it was their first lakorn together too.

chubbycheeks

imma kick ur-ass-aya !
Yaya is the ultimate perfect character. Crap if my fiance kissed with another girl, I'd be hellla choked regardless if they never intended to or never had any mutual feelings for eachother. Kissing another person is a no no ! <_< And Nadech is only for Yaya, no one else! lol I'll have to admit, I cracked up laughing in the last chapter where Yaya said "having kissed only one girl in his life made him curious how it'd feel with another" haha. Too many memorable moments in this story.

Yadech in reality are really cute together. It's amazing how much chemistry they have just with their one single hit lakorn along with so many projects. Clearly many others see them being very compatible together or else they wouldn't be lined up with so much work. I can't get enough of them two. ^_^

jjinxx

@Chubbycheeks: 555 you know just what I'm thinking. lots of kisses please! I'm glad you like Kim's story too, and that you enjoy Yaya's character. I tried not to make her too cliche n'ek so I threw in the bratty-ness. She's a whole mix of characteristics and I'm happy things are working out all the way to this chapter.

@Dal: lol we'll see how my mystery-writing skills turn out. I'm still not good at making big twists that are hard to solve. thanks for reading hon! very soon now, those mysteries will be revealed and frankly, I'm still figuring out Nadech's reactions and emotions to everything when that time comes.

@Vimalee: it's nice to see that she also grows. It wasn't something I set out to do since she has a higher EQ already, but turns out she and Nadech learn from each other's pains and joys. I just hope Nadech's character is as enjoyable because he's so complicated to evolve. Pain lasts so much longer than joy so I didn't want an unbelievable transformation to happen overnight for him, so as of now, he takes small gradual steps as she guides him.

Chapter 28 Significant Other

Kim yawned as she saw the two entered the house. “See you guys. I got to go to bed early so I can finish my group project tomorrow morning. Ugh, I have to be there by six. Oh yeah, P’Oh and Uncle will be back by next evening. Good night.”

“Good night,” they murmured in distracted reply but Kim was too tired to notice.

-------------
Nadech was rarely insomnious. He worked enough that when his head hit the pillow, the lights went out in his mind instantly. But tonight, sleep evaded him mercilessly. Why did he have to get so worked up earlier at the hotel? He had never been bothered by that guy Yuke and it was only a small grudge that he harbored for what Yuke had done to Yaya because she was over him. Yaya had told him she loves him and he believed her. So why did the thought of her touching Yuke, however modestly, rattle his nerves?

For that matter, just thinking about all those male friends she had listed and the many he probably didn’t even know about was enough to whip Nadech up in bed, sitting restlessly.

Why had he become so sensitive to everything that had to do with Yaya? Even now he was eating his words from last night already. That confidence that he would never fall prey to jealousy was slowly shattering.

He spotted the rose on his dresser, the extra that he had taken from Mark’s supply with intentions of giving to Yaya before some illogical motor ran his mouth off about her hugging other men and that whole jealousy exchange took place. Then he remembered the birthday gifts from Yuke and thought how dismal his single rose looked in comparison. It wasn’t even red; didn’t guys in commercials usually give red roses to women?

Nadech snorted, also recalling seeing a fluffy teddy bear in Yaya’s arms when they got home. What a senseless gift, in his opinion. What was she supposed to do with it besides let it collect dust on her bed and give her allergies from the dust?

Nadech shook his head in displeasure at the thought that something from Yuke would actually be sitting on Yaya’s bed. Suddenly, a mischievous idea formed in his head. It was obvious she didn’t like Yuke but was too polite to reject his gifts. Maybe he should help her dispose of them. He could simply tiptoe over there, take the bear and she would never suspect what happened. He could get Boy to give it to a child at the hospital.

The fact that he was scheming to kidnap a teddy bear made Nadech realize how ridiculous he was being and that only people who were jealous could ever think up such bizarre thoughts, and he certainly was not jealous. But Nadech was well aware that his uncharacteristic behavior was as irrational as jealousy and his verbal responses were as careless and intense as love. He dropped backwards and forced himself to sleep.

-------------
Yaya started awake when a knocking bang interrupted her slumber. As her mind cleared of sleep fog, she realized the insistent sound was coming from that middle door and quickly rolled out of bed to answer it. The door opened and Nadech ordered, “Get dressed and meet me downstairs.”

That was all and he closed the door. Her blinking eyes found the luminous alarm clock on the table that told her it was only five am.

“Where are we going?”

Nadech had walked past the garage and out the gates without a word when she appeared outside.

“Just follow me.”

Rubbing her eyes, Yaya yawned and her less than awake body stumbled along the sidewalk. She bumped into Nadech. “Sorry,” she mumbled.

Lips pursed, he wrapped her hand into his and led her onwards.

The sky was tinged with a glowing pink, forecasting a full sun after the greyness of the past few days. A tower came into view and soon the entire playground lay before her eyes. Nadech still had not said a word to her, so she simply followed his lead and grabbed a swing next to him.

Neither of them tried to swing high. When the peeking sun was starting to burn the back of her neck while the crisp air gnawed at her fingertips, Yaya finally said, “Wanna clue me in on why we’re swinging at five in the morning? I’m sure it would have been just as fun with the sun out and my belly filled properly.” Okay, so she wasn’t a morning person, plus he was making her agitated with the stiff silent attitude.

Finally, Nadech leaped from the swing and took two steps to face her. “I was jealous.”

That woke her up, though she wasn’t completely sure she had heard right.

Nadech sighed. “It’s been bothering me the whole night and I realized it would be juvenile of me to deny it.” Hadn’t he proclaimed to her before that he was a straightforward person? So he could not hide this time either, even though jealousy itself was an immature feeling.

“Wait.” She set her feet on the ground to still the swing. “What were you jealous of? Me and Yuke?”

With reluctance, he answered, “Yes.” He winced ever so slightly having to admit to that emotion multiple times, as if he had never met such humiliation before.

“Really?” She was skeptical because he had barely reacted to the hug from Yuke.

Nadech glared at her, as if daring her to ask him to repeat his confession one more time. “Yes.”

“But we’re just friends.” She huffed. “Less than friends now, actually. He crossed the line last night.”

“Nevertheless, I was upset when you hugged him and I realized…you were right. Jealousy is irrelevant to what you feel for someone else. It’s what I feel for you.”

Although he was eyeing her very grimly, with his most serious straight face, Yaya couldn’t help the giddiness that bubbled within her that Nadech actually got jealous over something so…

“But a hug is so trivial,” she remarked. “Didn’t you say jealousy is a waste of energy?”

“Well…” Nadech recalled Oh’s defensive argument from the hotel. “So if I hugged other women, you would be completely fine with that?”

She started to say ‘yes’ but a flashback of Kim hugging Nadech stopped her. She hadn’t particularly liked that image, and much less when they had kissed, even though Kim and Nadech’s relationship was platonic. Yaya was even more bothered by the memory of View holding his arm, even though anyone could tell he had no interest in View.

Her mouth contracted in a little frown. She met his expectant gaze and admitted, “Well, no. I’ve already said that I don’t like seeing you with other people.”

“See? This is not trivial.” Nadech’s brow puckered in displeasure and he suddenly took her hand into his. “Holding hands is not trivial.” He tugged her up and encircled her with his arms tightly. “A hug is not trivial. And neither is this.” Without letting her go, he kissed her full on the mouth, demonstrating every act of a lover he had somehow saved to be shared first and foremost with her.

Pressing his forehead to hers, he said softly, “You are not trivial to me.” He now knew the meaning of having a significant other.

Yaya breathed his name, besieged by the strength of his feelings. “Haven’t I already let you know that I don’t have feelings for anyone else? With me and Yuke, our friendship can’t even be salvaged. I can’t be around someone who doesn’t respect the man I love.” Her eyes glowed brilliantly in the rising sun, indicating to him who that person was, and she didn’t have to repeat those three words out loud to remind him that she loves him.

Nadech averted his gaze for a second and returned to implore her. “Sorry for being unreasonable last night.” He grimaced. “It was immature of me to hold those things against you.” Especially after he had mightily declared his indifference to jealousy. With relief, he observed the amusement on her beautiful face.

“No. I should have been considerate of how things would seem to you. I definitely don’t want to see you hug another woman, unless she is someone very, very close.” She peered up at him sternly. “You weren’t jealous of Mark too were you? Because he’s a close friend.”

He gave a breathy laugh. “No.”

“Then why did you comment about me congratulating him with a hug?” she asked skeptically.

“To be honest, I was miffed about Yuke’s hug when we entered the hotel but I couldn’t bring myself to acknowledge it at the time.” He tilted his head. “Then I noticed that you fixed Mark’s tie for him and then hugged him and that got my imagination rolling with what Oh said.” Nadech scowled at Mario’s knack to make him irritated, even though they were the best of friends. He looked back her. “I just noticed that you’ve never done that to me before…”

She cocked her head thoughtfully. “Well your tie is never in need of adjusting. It’s always perfect.”

“Huh.”

As he considered that, she realized there was another issue that he might be upset with. Her teeth scraped her bottom lip. “Do you want me to not keep Yuke’s gifts?”

He shrugged. “The flowers are pretty.”

“What about the bear?”

“Max could use a new chew toy.”

They stared at each other for a split second before sharing a euphonious laughter.

He stuck his hand in his pocket, feeling for the black box he had discovered in his room the day they returned. “I’m sorry I didn’t get you anything for your birthday.”

Knowing he was going to ask if she wanted a gift, Yaya replied quickly, “You got Max for me. And staying at the estate was a gift in itself.”

Nadech appreciated that about her, the fact that she treasured the small things while others might seek material gifts. His hand resurfaced, empty, because he could tell she was being honest and it wasn’t necessary for that black box to be opened now anyway. Instead, his hand reached into his jacket and produced the simple rose from last night, bringing it up between them for her delight.

The tip of her nose brushed the petals to catch its fragrance. “Thank you.”

Click: I Can’t Wait

“And Yaya, you don’t need my permission for anything that is your personal possession. Even if the person who gave them to you is not favored.” With a grave manner, he assured her, “I don’t plan on letting this jealousy last. I suppose last night I was more resentful because of the history you have with him, but I’m not anymore.”

“Why is that?” she asked curiously.

“Because I’m using more energy to think for the future I have with you.” A smile touched her eyes for his pleasure to view. Because he didn’t have a gift for her, he wanted to at least be honest, to both of them. A gentle breeze whistled above, but even a storm couldn’t have drowned out his words. “I love you.” If he once thought it might be hard to say those words, he now knew it was not, because they were uttered in truth.

Yaya could have skipped and danced around the playground after hearing the reciprocation of her love. But that would mean missing out on the kiss he pressed to her forehead which made her feel as if their love was secured at last.

Indeed, she was very significant to him. He had found someone to live the present for.

“Thank you.”

“What for?” he asked.

“For telling me how you feel.”

He too felt grateful for this moment in time, for this unforeseen opportunity to invest in matters so deep and fulfilling. For years, he had been detached and searching for something that eluded him so ruthlessly, it was like being lost in the billions of stars with nothing to guide him home. With each new heartthrob for Yaya, Nadech felt himself finally falling where he belonged.

“I promise that from now on, I’ll be honest with you about how I feel. That way, we don’t have to waste time questioning each other.”

“Seriously?” She squinted at him.

He smiled. “Yeah.”

“Okay. No secrets from each other.”

-------------
It was six thirty when they got back, and they quietly returned to their rooms, but Yaya motioned him over to her side. “Remember I wanted to show you something the other day?”

He nodded. “What is it?”

She opened up a drawer and held out the brand new photo album to him.

Nadech eyed it warily. “Is this some kind of test to see if I’m being possessive?”

She frowned. “What are you talking about?”

“Isn’t that one of your photo albums with the pictures of, you know, that guy?” He had to remind himself he was no longer jealous, but still wasn’t too eager to view what were obviously the pictures of Yaya and Yuke.

Yaya’s lips twitched uncontrollably into a smirk. He was wrong of course, but she wanted to see how he would react. “Yeah. I want you to look at the pictures.”

His brow darkened with disbelief. “Are you serious?”

She peered innocently up at him. “You have nothing to worry about. Go on. Take a look at all of them.”

He exhaled heavily and reluctantly received the unwelcome album. He opened it and started flipping through the pages. The problem was, his determined eyes had not left her face.

She couldn’t hold in her amused laugh any longer. “Hey, that’s cheating! You have to look at the pictures.”

In exasperation he gave in by dropping himself onto her bed and looked down. Catching sight of reality, Nadech’s hands stopped as the album opened to a photo of him leaning on the railing of the estate house’s open balcony. Sunlight dappled his face while his dimple left a deep shadow in his cheek. A lock of hair had been tossed upon his forehead by the wind.

“It’s not finished yet. Do you like it?” Yaya asked, taking a seat next to him.

He nodded, a smile playing faintly on his lips, turning another page. Though he knew the person on each frame was him, Nadech rarely had reason to look at himself in the mirror so seeing such delight in his 2-D self was surprising. It was hard to accept--that is, until he glanced up and caught the face of the person who was responsible for each alien smile captured in those photos. The man in the photo album was truly lucky.

He looked up at her and his eyes were exactly as mesmerizing as when he had told her he loves her. “Do you think I could finish the last couple of pages?”

She hesitated. “But it’s a gift for you. It isn’t appropriate for you to have to work on it.”

“Trust me. You won’t be disappointed.” He could tell she needed further convincing. “Please?” Like the morning sky, her face grew warm with a glowing blush hearing his soft plea and she agreed. “Thank you. There are many things I have to thank you for."

Her eyes softened, fingers brushing his hand, that instinctive search to be near one another flooding both. He set aside the photo album of their growing memories and without even having to think it through, she was in his arms.

With unrestrained fervor he caught her bottom lip with his. Their hot mouths pressed and puckered in luscious synchrony and soon, tongues peeked past lips in yearning. Her hand wriggled near his collar and he tilted his head more while kissing her harder.

“Th…” He kissed her words away. “The others…” Yaya managed to say in between each kiss.

“Are gone,” he reminded her, though it was not without a warning to himself that just because they were alone, they should not be doing anything against propriety. Why could he not stop then? Perhaps it was the liberation of finally realizing how much he felt for her; perhaps it was because she felt just as passionately for him; perhaps it was because Nadech loved talking to her, loved looking at her, loved kissing her.

He loved her. He loved. The truth of that was overwhelming his very being. But his heart kept wanting to pour out that love towards her, and so, it kept him in a delicate balance. And at that moment, that balance was sliding his control just off the fence. She was his and he had twenty five years of kisses and embraces to make up for. “Just once more…”

She sighed his name and one more turned into two and three and so on until they were breathless with racing hearts.

Yaya felt the thrill of his touch and heard the hazards of where their mutual desires could lead them. “We should stop…” She pecked the corner of his lips.

He grazed kisses from her chin down her neck. “M-hm…”

But neither were obeying their words. Until they felt something push space between them and heard a quiet whimper. Eyes darted down and landed on Max, who had woken up and obviously felt left out.

Turning to the side, Nadech ran a hand through his hair, taking a deep breath. What in the world was wrong with him? Could he not be left alone with Yaya without fearing he would devour her? But she was his happiness and happiness was an addiction. The temptation to bathe in her essence was now out of his control. Inside, he laughed at himself for the sudden ridiculous thought that he had to mark Yaya as his when she had shown over and over to him that she cares for him. Even now, the only reason he knew to trust in love was because of her. She was priceless and deserved the utmost respect.

“Good boy Max.” He rubbed the puppy’s ear and forced himself up. “I’m going to get ready for work. Again, thanks.” He smiled brightly and picked up the photo album that she had all but forgotten.

Before leaving though, Nadech pulled her up beside the bed. His eyes seared hers tenderly. "Remember, this belongs to me." Slowly, with the utmost concentration, his head angled down to claim her lips. Yaya closed her eyes, feeling the warm and gentle sensation that neither of them would ever forget. The kiss was a slight pucker, which he pulled back from. Next, his arms that had cradled her waist released her; finally, as he stepped away, his fingers unfurled and their hands that extended in mid-air slid palm against palm, until fingertips ached with the last lingering touch.

When the door closed off his presence, Yaya let herself fall on her back on the mattress. “Bad boy Max.” She chuckled to herself, cuddling her greyhound puppy.

-------------Author's note :fanfic:
Warning: Updates might be slow for the next week or two. But then again, I might slip in more writing time than I expect.
Anyway, that's why I thought I'd treat you to that little, ahem, makeout scene. >< I hope it doesn't seem like their only connection is physical. I've try to set out an emotional foundation that allows the two of them to be so freed from inhibitions (especially Nadech) that they just won't be able to resist getting closer on every level of intimacy there is. lol Thank you to all readers! :heart:
music credit: Koko26ish at youtube.

jjinxx

Vimalee

Live Love Laugh
Awww, he finally said that magic word!

chubbycheeks and Dal, I'm with you. Cannot stop grinning and smiling over here.

Thanks jjinxx!