Soulmate's Path| Complete

jjinxx

Is your "nom" Fai-approved?
Chapter 6

“Master, I can take care of her,” Kat assured.

But Nadech listened to no one.

“Really son. This is not appropriate for you to be tending to a woman,” Mother reasoned. “Let Kat take care of her fever.”

“Mom, I’m staying. Kat, bring me the water.”

Outside of the room, Mother shook her head. “Why has he become so stubborn?”

“…So then Yaya is Nadech’s special guest, not Mister Om’s?” Kat thought.

“What are you saying?”

Kat lowered her head. “We all thought Yaya had something to do with Om, because they came here together, but seeing Nadech give her such priority…Uh, Mother, don’t you think Yaya looks like someone?”

Mother pursed her lips. “She does look like—“

“Who?” Om appeared before them.

“I was just telling Mother that Yaya looks like Araya, your…” Kat trailed off, seeing Om’s straight face. “Excuse me.”

Walking with her son, Mother casually said, “Don’t you think so Om? I mean, when I first saw the girl, she certainly reminded me of Araya, bless her soul.”

Om simply replied, “A lot of women have similar features.”

“I wonder if that’s why Nadech is attracted to her.” Her brow curled in distress. “To think they met over a poisonous snake!”

But Om was stuck on her previous question. Was his brother attracted to the girl because of her resemblance to Araya? The thought didn’t sit well in his stomach, and Om particularly didn’t like that someone who looked like an important person of the family’s past was appearing from out of nowhere. Though he couldn’t deny that the SLIGHT resemblance was a fascination to him. No one could blame Om. “Nadech is with her?”

His mother frowned. “He refuses to leave her side. I warned him he might get sick too but he insisted on nursing her himself. I don’t know what’s gotten into him. What will we do when her family comes asking for her?”

“Mom, you do know that her parents are dead?” Nadech walked towards them, the bowl of water in his hand and towel over his shoulder. “The only family she has left sold her to a rich family and when her fiancé died, her future father-in-law wanted to keep her as his mistress. Tell me I should have left her back there.” Nadech dared from them, his eyes fierce.

Mother, hearing of her misfortune, softened. “She’s been through that much?”

“She has no one left. She’s staying here.”

“Son, I didn’t say she couldn’t stay. I was just concerned that she might not want to be here, especially after the incident earlier.”

“She’s confused. Until I know for sure she’s safe, please let her stay here.” Nadech was not one to rise above his beloved mother, however obstinate he was on the subject of the ill-fated maiden. When Mother did not give further protest, he left reassured.

Nadech returned after Kat changed Yaya, and he continued to wipe her arms and forehead. With her face relaxed so still, the facial differences were even more apparent, so that Nadech was no longer fooled by his earlier illusion. True, Yaya’s doll-like features reminded him of Araya, but there were distinct differences that made Yaya a completely different person. Perhaps due to the lingering grief of burning the letters at that time, Nadech had been thinking of his dear best friend too much when he stumbled upon Yaya. So his mind purposely wanted to see Araya’s face in hers. But there could be no mistaking her anymore.

As Nadech watched over her, he realized he had had no idea how anxious the last few days had been, not seeing her and not knowing whether she was doing okay.

But of course, as her words had revealed to him, she wasn’t content here. She was confused and distraught and in mourning still. A swirl of darkness had hung above her head while she had demanded to be released. Would her future hang upon this thread of emptiness? Or would someone fill it up—not with the past, for that was irreplaceable, and impossible—but just with a bit of light so she could survive in this world.

Nadech knew the household was curious about Yaya, and why she was here. He’d never done anything this reckless before. The spontaneity of it surprised even him. Sure, catching a snake bare-handed had been reckless also, but this…it was incomparable.

“But I won’t go back on my word. From now on, I’ll be your guardian.”

It couldn’t have been heaven’s will to make them save each other’s lives once and then be separated forever.

She stirred the slightest and mumbled, “…Mark…”

Nadech remembered her saying his name earlier. Was this someone who would be able to help her?

-------------
Nadech jogged up to his room, having forgotten something for work. In the middle of shuffling his papers, he looked up, as that of a creature whose instinct sensed an imbalance in his universe. His feet beat their own path out of the room and down the hallway.

‘Rassa.’

Yaya was curled into a tight ball, as if the smaller she made herself, the sooner she would disappear along with all the aches and grief she was enduring. She lay in what felt like a pile of leaves and then it turned into cold soil, and she sunk into a dark grave.

‘Don’t you remember me?’ It was Mark’s voice. Behind him were her parents’ shadows. ‘Where are you?’

It was at this point that she wanted to stretch out and dig her way back up to air, back up to the suffering of the world. Anything would be better than this stifling darkness. But why couldn’t she? And who was Mark calling for?

‘Rassa,’ his voice sounded like a lost wind in the forest. ‘Don’t forget about us.’
She knew he was talking to her, but why did the name sound so alien? Yaya, yes, she was Yaya, so who was Mark talking to?

“…no…I’m not her.”

Nadech’s blood froze when he heard the muffled sounds of distress from Yaya’s room. Was she okay? Just then, his feet chose to cease their efforts, and his chest tightened uncomfortably. What was going on? He’d felt perfectly fine just moments ago.

But that thought had flown out of his mind before it finished, and was replaced by the sole notion that Yaya was in pain. Whether he didn’t have the power to think, or if he just didn’t care, Nadech didn’t fathom how he knew this; and just forced air into his suddenly throbbing lungs so he might make it to her room.

He fell at her bedside, short of breath; it was fortunate then, because his hand landed close to hers, and he took hold of it. He had no strength to hold her tensed body still. Every ounce of energy went into holding her hand. His head ached! With a splitting migraine that momentarily blinded him.

Kat had become aware of a disturbance and ran into the room. She watched the scene in front of her in shock for a second before rushing forward. “Nadech, what’s wrong?”

“Yaya’s not…do something, do something for her!”

Kat stumbled around, unsure how to treat both of the sufferers. “Um…augh, oh gosh….!” She rounded to the table and opened a bottle of pills prescribed by the doctor, then hurried over to give them to Yaya. Kat was sure it was impossible for Yaya to take the medicine without choking, but what else could be done? So, as carefully as could be done, she helped urge Yaya to swallow the medicine with water, and somehow, succeeded. Now, she turned her attention to Nadech.
“What’s wrong with you? Y-you were fine, weren’t you?”

Nadech’s vision blurred but, he simply shook his head. “I’m fine.” He knew he’d only fall over if he moved, so he remained crouched by the bed.

“Are you sure?” He looked in immense pain to Kat.

“I’m sure. Go…go on with your work,” he gasped, “I’m fine. Go.”

“C-call for me if you need.” She moved very slowly towards the door, reluctant to leave him in such a state. But he gave no more evidence of illness aside from his curved posture.

Gritting his teeth against his lightheaded-ness, he continued to sit beside the bed with Yaya’s hand in his. Some time later, he woke up from a sleep he didn’t remember falling into and in alarm, he jumped up to see Yaya sleeping with a weak frown on her brow. Apparently the medicine had helped. And no trace of his previous pain remained.

“Yaya?” he spoke gently.

From wherever her broken heart and anguished soul had fled to, she heard his whisper. Someone was reaching for her, she felt the delicious warmth on her hand, and clung to it. Her nightmare subsided.

What was wrong with her? She hadn’t been this bad. And even weirder, nothing appeared to be changed, according to the doctor. Nadech had also asked about his own health, and was informed there was not a speck of chance he was ill. Had he dreamed that whole terrible episode of that afternoon?

Sighing, Nadech leaned against the post of Yaya’s bed, looking down upon her sleeping form. He ran his hand through his hair and tried to convince himself she had just had a nightmare, nothing at all like the pain he had imagined. But he had ‘imagined’ it so acutely, and even so strongly that her pain seemed to cut into him too. What was up with that headache he experienced?

“Honey, I heard that the doctor was just here. What happened?”

How was he going to answer his mother truthfully? “I just wanted to make sure Yaya didn’t get any worse.”

He glanced across to a confused Kat and shook his head with the slightest motion to direct her not to tell his mom about what she had seen.

-------------
A stream of light woke Yaya from her groggy rest. Clearing her vision, she expected for Mint to pop up and then to hear her mom’s voice. But reality hit when her eyes landed on the man beside her. His head rested upon an arm on the bed, but then suddenly looked up. He blinked several times, checked his watch and reached for the cloth on her forehead.

“You’re awake.”

Her large tired eyes sent him a ‘duh’ look. She had no idea of the fret she caused him, or of the enormous relief he felt seeing those eyes of hers open.

“How are you feeling?” She felt the cool back of his hand on her head. “Temperature’s gone down,” he mumbled before wetting and wringing out the cloth.

Yaya licked her dry lips.

“Here.” He had a straw by her mouth and she drank a sip. It wasn’t until he’d wiped her face gently and was holding up her arm that she closed her hand around his fingers to stop him. “Why are you doing this?”

Her frail hand managed to send a strong pulse up his arm. Nadech almost forgot to answer her question. “Didn’t I say that you’re staying here because it’s for your own good?”

“I meant, why are you cooling my body yourself?”

“If you’d rather have someone else, I can call for Kat.”

Her brow twitched together in a frown. “You haven’t answered my question.”

He turned her hand over and began cooling it with the cloth. “It was my decision to bring you here. It was my decision to make you stay. It was I who promised to take care of you. I’m not handing you off to someone else when it becomes inconvenient. But if you’re uncomfortable with me, I’ll let Kat stay here.”

She didn’t like the sound of being shadowed again.
“I’ll be fine by myself.”

Nadech eyed her closely. “Promise you won’t try to run away?”

Holding her chin high, she replied, “I won’t TRY. If I decide to leave, I’ll find a way out of here.”

“You won’t,” he shrugged with confidence. “Because unless you make a promise to me that you won’t TRY, I’ll have two people watching you at all times. If that doesn’t scare you, I’ll stay with you myself.”

“Yeah right. Like you don’t have a life and a job to get to.”

“I wouldn’t have any life it you hadn’t saved me.”

They stared at each other as their fateful first encounter played in their heads.

“So the question is, are you scared of me?”

If Yaya had known Nadech even a little better, she would have known he was a light-hearted person. But judging from their time spent together, the way he risked his life, the way he beat Sakdecha, the way he swept her away from everything without hesitation (at least, SHE hadn’t seen any hesitation), and a little bit because he was her senior, Yaya was given the impression that Nadech was a ruthless serious man. And the fact that she could save and be saved by him scared her.

She nodded.

“Then promise me you won’t try to run away.”

What could make more sense than to keep her jinx in sight? “I promise.”

For a moment that she yielded to him, Nadech was reminded of her frightened form in his arms, paralyzed with fear. He would never tolerate anything happening to her.

“Are you hungry, Yaya?”

She repeated his assumed name for her, even yet getting used to it. It wasn’t necessary for him to know her as Rassa. The people who had known her by that name and had loved that name were not here anymore.

“Yaya?”

She heard him calling to her, and eerily, when their eyes met, Yaya was overcome with a feeling like he truly knew her from the start. Like “Yaya” was a hidden part of her that had been waiting for Nadech to come along and awaken her. But that was ridiculous of course. Whatever name she was called by, no one could know her better than herself.

“Yes, I am actually hungry.”

“I’ll see what they have downstairs. Let me help you up first.”

Yaya could do nothing more than lean against Nadech’s chest for him to lift her into a sitting position. He was just pulling away but she hissed in pain. A strand of her hair had gotten caught in his button.

“Excuse me.” Nadech unwound her hair. She felt him place her hair delicately behind her ear.

“There. I’ll be back.”

She just realized how empty her stomach felt. Taking in his appearance, his untucked shirt with sleeves rolled to his elbows, his black hair falling over his brow, Yaya asked, “…you stayed with me the whole time?”

“I stayed clean too, if that’s what you’re asking,” his lips hinted at a smile. Seeing no amusement from her, he sighed. “You’re not alone. As long as you’re here, you have me.”

The door closed after he left. Yaya lay against the plush pillows, with his words echoing in her. He sure was taking this seriously, the whole saving his life thing and repaying her for it. That must be why he felt so responsible for her well-being.

Only then did Yaya see that life had so many twists and turns, with unimaginable destinations. If Nadech hadn’t bought their land and been near her that day, the snake might have bitten her and no one would have saved her. And she would be the lucky one being mourned.

“No,” her fists curled around the blanket. Life shouldn’t be taken for granted. She should be thankful that she was still alive, not regretting her rescue. And her parents had been so good to her, she shouldn’t disrespect them by resenting the life they had given to her at birth.

Nadech returned with Kat, who was carrying a tray with food. He appeared having freshened up, clothes changed and hair swept to the side in a manner that was effortlessly dashing.

Kat smiled. “I’m glad you are awake. Eat up so you’ll gain your strength.”

“Thank you Kat. You may leave,” Nadech said.

“Oh,” she hesitated. “But I thought I might stay and help Yaya, since she must be too weak to eat by herself.”

Nadech glanced with concern at Yaya. “You may leave,” he repeated.

Once alone with Yaya, Nadech pushed back his sleeves and settled on the edge of the bed.

“I don’t really need help eating,” she said.

“If you say so.” He placed a napkin on her lap, then put a bowl of porridge on it.
It only took two bites before they both realized she was wrong.

“I’m not hungry anymore,” she said.

Nadech hid a smile, noticing the way she had frowned and avoided his eyes while eating. He could tell she was tired from it already, but knew she was hungry too. “You know, there’s nothing wrong with asking for help. It doesn’t make you a weak person.”

He took up the spoon, but paused, hand hanging in the air.

“What?” she asked, growing self-conscious under his gaze.

He blinked once and smiled. “Nothing.” Truthfully, he’d been searching for any clues of why or how she could have gotten so ill yesterday afternoon.

“Tell me,” She suspected he was pitying her, but wasn’t sure.

He cocked his head. “Okay. But only if you eat first.”

The bowl was in his hand and he blew on a spoonful, holding it up for her.
Yaya felt so awkward being fed like a child. If he was her mom, she wouldn’t care, but Nadech was…well, not her mom.

Thinking she was being stubborn, Nadech urged, “Come on. Pride doesn’t keep you full.”

She grudgingly accepted the offering. “So? Tell me now.” She demanded softly.

“I was just thinking how beautiful a smile would look on your lips.”

She didn’t feel like a child now, though he hadn’t given off the impression of flirting.
Pretending not to notice her being taken aback, Nadech slowly fed her, until Yaya was full and tired. They were only halfway through the bowl.

“One more.”

Yaya made a face. All she did was sit and eat but she’d used enough energy for the afternoon.

“Just one more,” he insisted, then added, “I’ll give you a present if you eat this.”

This time, it was he instead whom she felt had let slip from his cool mature image, resorting to such a child-like tactic. She did as he wanted and drank some water, and lay down at his insistence.

Kat knocked and entered as Nadech was still leaning over Yaya. She cleared her throat sheepishly, afraid she’d come at an inappropriate time. “Er, Mister Nadech, I’ve come to see if you need any help.”

“Bring the dishes away.”

Yaya said to Kat, “Thank you for everything.”

“Oh, I’m just doing my duty.” Kat looked up. “When you’re rested, I’ll come help you bathe and dress, okay dear?” She winced with a second thought. “Or does Nadech want to help with that himself too?”

“Don’t be ridiculous,” Nadech answered.

“Sorry,” Kat laughed weakly with embarrassment. “I’ll be on my way.”

Before Nadech left her room too, Yaya spoke out. “Hey, what about my present?”

“You’ll get it when you fully recover.”
-------------
Done with finals! One and a half weeks until I go to SE. Asia!
I just want to apologize again with the pace of this story. I'm quite undecided with the direction it will head in so I don't want to rush and make it a regretful story. Happy day to you all.

jjinxx

jjinnxxy - you are KILLING me na. Too many people in the way.... Mark, Om..... Arrrrggggh. I need sweet and sexy touches between Yadech. C'mon ----- you have to. It's the holidays. I need a "fuzzy" feeling or just simply "scream out loud" because of a story line. hehe. So demanding here. BUT you know I LOVE you and your writing (and I really know it's going somewhere but I am inpatient na) ..... I am just antsy because I miss GRGR.

oh, can you make them go to a masquerade party? I want Yaya to fall madly in love with this masked person. and please make it really sexy. Let them share a passionate kiss (that she will remember...she shouldn't know who he is either)... hehehe. I couldn't stop thinking about it when I saw the pics from Kullasatree shoot. It's really hot and my mind is full of story line. I just can't write well like you so I am putting in a suggestion na. I hope you don't mind.

Here is a motivation pic:

cr: as tagged

Nadech in a mask and that crisp white shirt really excites me. hahaha..... OMG... where is my mind today????

jjinxx

Chapter 7

Nadech called Boy. “Update me.”

“The lawyer has gotten back to me. He thinks we have the upper hand, obviously, since our contract with Mister Rakarun specifically stated that there cannot be a retract or refund, nor exchange in land, money or anything else once the contract was signed. If all goes well, you should still be the owner of the Rakarun northeast acres. However, as you heard before leaving, Pope is claiming that ownership of all the lands moved into his possession BEFORE the season ended, therefore, he has the power to terminate any land purchase made. Damn,” Boy groaned. “His lawyer is aggressively fighting for control over all the lands that used to belong to Rakarun. It doesn’t help that his daughter, the heir, gave everything over legally too.”

“I don’t care how aggressive they are or what excuses they make,” Nadech reclined in his chair, “I want my land back.”

“I’m sure we’ll get it back.”

“And I want compensation for betraying the rules of the contract.”

Boy nodded. “I’m working on that too. The lawyer said we should figure out a price range for the compensation—“

“I don’t want money. I want him to give me all the acres of the northern territory.”

“Are you crazy?” was Boy’s flat reply. “That’s a lot of land. The board meeting last time said we shouldn’t risk profit loss and to stay under a hundred and fifty acres.”

“The extra land is for my personal use.”

“Oh. No wonder you didn’t want Om handling this lawsuit.”

“He’d just scold me and say I was wasting time. But I want protect the land from that pompous Pope.”

“Speaking of which, has the ego-inflated dude contacted you about his cousin? How is she?”

Nadech rubbed his eyes. “Her fever broke. Should be getting better in a few days. Pope hasn’t called on me, but I’m sure he will. And that Sakdecha has seen me before, I’m sure he knows who I am.”

Boy weighed the chances of getting fired for asking about the young Rakarun girl, and even though he KNEW there was no chance he was getting fired, this situation appeared beyond his abilities, so he refrained from inquiring. If Nadech had any troubles, he’d make them clear.

Later, Nadech cleared up his desk as Om came in.

“Kat said you’re eating in Yaya’s room. Nadech,” Om crossed his arms. “Aren’t you taking this too far? I know you’re showing her mercy after all she’s been through but you’re becoming overbearing.”

“It’s not as weird as it seems.”

“So why do you have to make everything concerning her so personal? Let me ask you something. Do you like her?”

Nadech jerked his head back. “It’s not like that.”

“It seems like that. Everyone who sees you tending to her so closely will suspect it’s like that.”

“Well I don’t care what they think.” Or so he thought. “P’Om, believe me, I simply want to take care of her until she gets better and can handle living on her own. She’s still young. Come on, let’s go see mom.”

Nadech held back a sigh as Mother asked him the same question. “Mom, my feelings for Yaya are like a friend.”

“You hardly know each other,” she remarked skeptically.

“Well, it just so happens that there are certain things people can’t go through together without ending up knowing each other more. At most, I want to be her brother,” he relented.

Mother sighed. “If that’s all you really feel then it’s fine. I don’t mean to say that I would object if it was something…more. I’ll leave that up to you. But I just wanted to make sure you had no more surprises planned. Yaya can stay here as long as she wants, of course. There’s nothing I wouldn’t do for the person who saved my son’s life,” she patted his hand endearingly.

“I’ll talk to you guys later, okay?”

“Where are you going?”

“To see Yaya.” He headed up the stairs.

She shook her head. “Just look at him. Do you suppose we should believe him?” she referred to Nadech’s claim that he had no more feelings for Yaya than friendship.

“We’ll have to take his word for it.” Om wasn’t any less suspicious though. As he turned away, his thoughts wandered from his mother’s voice and continued to ponder the disturbing idea of Nadech being with that girl, and why it should disturb him so. She had no relation to them at all, and if Nadech decided to care for her…Hadn’t Om always encouraged for his little brother to settle down? But Yaya’s face flashed in Om’s eye and became fuzzy with another person’s.

Kat had left after brushing Yaya’s hair and plaiting it into a single braid. She sat by the vanity table, staring at her reflection for the first time in a while and was surprised to see how different she looked. The recent stress she was under had caused her some weight loss, to her dismay. Her cheeks were a bit hollower. There were shadows under her eyes and the clothes laid out by someone was a size smaller than before. She sighed, twisting a lock of hair between her fingers until the door was entreated to open.

“Come in.”

Nadech’s reflection joined hers in the mirror. His smile greeted her. “Sorry to keep you waiting. Let’s eat.”

She turned around. “You…you’re going to eat up here?”

Nadech decided not to even offer to let her eat alone. “It’s fun to have company during meals. Makes the food taste better.”

That was what Mark used to say to her. She replied with slight reproach, “What about your mother and brother? I don’t want them to think I’m rudely keeping you for myself.”

“Miss, you can keep me all to yourself as much as you want,” he winked, an expression she had not expected out of him and felt tricked when it caused her to lighten up.

He saw her serious lips and couldn’t help grinning. “I’m kidding. My family won’t miss me that much for missing a few meals. In fact, I’m pretty sure P’Om tried to sell me when we were little,” he laughed, “for a toy pistol, no less.”

“You should join your family downstairs. It’s not necessary for you to stay here all the time. We don’t share a stomach.”

Nadech tapped his chin thoughtfully. “Then how about you come down to the dining room with me?

Yaya shook her head. “I shouldn’t. I’m not a part of your family and it’d be troublesome to your mother.”

Nadech neared her and kneeled in front of her. “Let’s make one thing clear. Do you know why I brought you here?”

Because he felt sorry for her? That would sound impolite and ungrateful, so she answered, “You said you want to help me. I…I’m thankful for that. But honestly, I don’t know why you feel the need to.” There, she had said her doubts plain as it could be.

“I believe that everything that happens has meaning to it. And especially something as significant as what happened between us, upon our first meeting. You didn’t know me, and I didn’t know you, but the heavens ordained for us to meet under such perilous circumstances and yet we survived. Don’t you find that a miracle? That people can experience such things with someone who had no meaning in their life until that point? So it must be heaven’s will that you are meaningful to me and I am meaningful to you in some way, shape or form.” His face was upturned towards her, undemanding, but earnest, so that she knew this was truly the way he thought.

“And when I had the opportunity to help you again, I wasn’t able to avoid it. I think we were destined to meet along life’s path and given a chance to forge a friendship. Do you believe me?”

He was asking a lot of her, to trust him and to believe him.

“If you believe me, then let’s be friends.” He held out his hand, eyes unwavering until she fit her hand into his.

When she made to pull away, he stopped her. “So now that our friendship has been established, there’s no reason for you to be considerate or to think of yourself as a burden. Remember that. Now, do you still now want to go down to the dinner table?”

She wanted to pay respect to his mom and brother, so she assented. Yaya glanced at his hand still holding hers. He didn’t seem to be bothered by it, so she got up with him. Her first step tossed her with disorientation.

“Careful,” Nadech put his arms around her.

She steadied herself but it took so much energy that her knees gave way, relying entirely on his support. Peering through her lashes, Yaya spotted her hand on his shoulder and stiffened.

“Are you okay?”

“Yes.” She discovered his face was very close to hers and began to blink rapidly. Her body couldn’t be so depleted that she was breathless right? Yaya glanced his way, only to discover his shirt was loosened at the top, exposing a bit of chest hair over his tanned skin. She felt heat on her face and looked away quickly. It wasn’t as if she had never seen a man’s bare chest before. A lot of the male workers on her parents’ land worked that way during the hottest season and she’d seen Mark bare-chested too. But Yaya had never taken any of them seriously before, not even Mark, because they’d grown up together.
Being in close proximity with Nadech made Yaya very aware of his masculinity. His natural movements and manner of speaking were also composed and assured.

Nadech, noticing her blushing cheeks, initially though she was feeling ill again, but soon he was able to distinguish that she was shy at the moment. He hid his smile, which must have resulted in his heart twinging.

“You should rest for a bit.”

“No.” She struggled to balance her weight firmly on her legs. “We’ve kept them waiting long enough.”

Her determination was obvious, so Nadech nodded.

She gasped when he lifted her up. “Wait!”

“I thought you didn’t want to keep them waiting.”

“But this is embarrassing! And it’ll be awkward when your family sees.”

“They’ll understand.”

“Don’t make trouble for yourself.”

He narrowed his eyes and stuck his face closer to hers. “Didn’t we go through this?”

“Please. I-I’m not a light person.”

“I’m not trying to show off my strength, and besides the trip downstairs is short enough as soon as you stop worrying.” He’d had her moved the second floor rooms.

“But—“

“We can continue this over dinner if you want.”

Yaya took a deep breath but refrained from further protests.

“Very good.”

She mumbled, “Like a prisoner.”

A corner of his lips quirked up. “Have you ever seen such a privileged prisoner?”

She glared at his chest.

The awkwardness Yaya feared passed quickly when Mother insisted Yaya sit beside her. They began eating and Yaya felt someone’s eyes on her. Nadech was talking to Mother. She looked up across the table to Om who was looking at her before his gaze directed to the table.

Before she had opportunity to be curious about this, Mother caught her attention, saying she didn’t want her to exert herself.

“Thank you for all of your generosity. I don’t know what I’d do without you.” This was expressed with sincerity, because Yaya was sure others would not have been as tolerant as Mrs. Theerada.

“People have to help each other right? Besides,” Mother spooned vegetables on Yaya’s plate, “I always wanted a daughter.” Mother had only recently took this long-time wish into consideration again, and saw the brighter side of Yaya’s presence.

Nadech acted affronted. “Mom, you’re saying you would rather I was a girl?”

“Of course. I wouldn’t have to go through your naughty elementary school years.”

“That’s being biased. Girls can be trouble too. Yaya looks like she used to be a naughty child,” he teased, making Yaya squirm.

“How would you know Nadech?”

“Because when I saw her in the forest she was b…” Nadech stopped mid-sentence, catching Yaya’s widened alarmed eyes. “Uh…I mean, she was alone and probably skipping work or something.”

Relieved that he hadn’t revealed her bathing, Yaya said, “I was on my way back from some gardening.”

“In such a secluded area?” Nadech asked doubtfully.

“It’s my own secret garden, and I know the ways around.”

“You garden?” Mother asked with pleasant surprise.

“My parents taught me,” she replied gently. “I used the garden for the restaurant that a family friend owns.” Yaya grew nostalgic, recalling Aunt Rani’s restaurant. The last time that they’d seen each other, they both sobbed in each other’s arms, missing Mark who had unjustfully been taken away.

“Here have some of this.”

Yaya looked down at her plate that Nadech was piling up.

“Nadech, she can’t possibly eat all of that,” Om noted. “And heavy dishes aren’t good for sick people, that’s what the doctor said.”

“Oh,” Nadech forehead puckered like a little boy.

Mother smiled in amusement.

Mother sat with Yaya in her room to keep her company. They opened up conversation easily and Mother found herself captivated by Yaya. She was livelier than their first encounter and Mother could see a glimpse of the beautiful posture of a woman that Yaya would soon be.

While Yaya was explaining to her the reason she had stopped going to school, Mother wondered if her son Nadech saw what she saw too and whether he would change his mind in the future about being a brother. She watched as over the next couple of days, Nadech ran up and down the stairs, always by Yaya’s side. The door remained open when he was with her, so once Mother caught a glimpse of Nadech trying to coax Yaya into eating. The more she witnessed his caring actions, the more she sensed he might take back his words one day. If so, she would welcome a joy to their house eagerly. It had been a long time since the slightest idea of a wedding had come to their home again…after what Om had gone through with Araya, Mother thought with a sigh.

To be sure, there was a part of the girl that she held back, but Yaya was unable to retreat from such maternal attention as Mother gave her, and soon poured out her misfortunate events to the sympathetic lady.

“I’m sorry you had to endure hardships at the hands of a relative. Dear,” she frowned when Yaya’s tears rolled down her face, “don’t cry.”

“I’m sorry,” Yaya hastily rubbed away her tears.

“We shouldn’t be talking about such events now that they are past. You don’t have to tell me anymore.”

“It’s just that, I was looking at you and you remind me of my mom.” Yaya laughed shakily. “It made me miss her.”

Mother scooted closer and hugged her. “You know dear, everyone here calls me Mother, but I’ve yet to hear you call me that. Don’t be scared. If I was to have a daughter, I see now that I’d be proud if she was like you. And I know your parents think so too.”

Burying her face in Mother’s shoulder, Yaya felt the comfort of a child being loved.

“Sorry to interrupt.” They looked up when Nadech entered. “Mom, here’s a that letter came for you.”

After Mother left, Nadech stood in front of Yaya, experiencing a rush of affection seeing the apparent difference in her health. She sat up alert, her face had more color and her voice was stronger too. Most noteworthy, he couldn’t miss the life in her eyes.
Yaya could tell he was assessing the state she was in and approved. Inside, she knew she was slowly returning to her original health. Yet the way his eyes swept over her and the following smile pumped her heart faster in a way reminiscent of her fever.

Yaya had at first thought Nadech to be a strict person, like his brother, whom was the archetype of a responsible older sibling. Not that Nadech was irresponsible, but he wasn’t the bossy supervisor he had initially declared himself to be. He laughed easily and had a laid back personality—the exact type of person Yaya would want to be friends with. Except, Nadech didn’t give off the atmosphere of a normal friend. It perplexed her significantly, because the effect of Nadech’s presence overshadowed even her feelings for Mark, reducing those past feelings to something more like a crush. The thing was, she had no idea what she could identify her feelings for Nadech as.

Swallowing hard, she joked, “Something on my face?”

He brushed away a streak of tears she’d missed. “You look better now.”

“I feel stronger and have more energy,” she breathed deeply. “I’ll eat downstairs with…Mother starting tomorrow.”

“Sounds good,” he nodded.

“And walk in the garden this evening.”

“Negative,” he responded. “Too soon for you to be out strolling.”

She frowned. “But I feel up to it.”

He gave her a glare. “So what, you’re going to disobey me?”

She was already aware of his true soft nature and was no longer scared…if she had ever truly been scared of him in the first place. “You’re acting like a father,” she sniffed, “and failing.”

“Really? Then I need a new tactic?” His mouth curled ponderously, then said, “Yaya, you’re not allowed to reject anything I deem is good for you or else—“

“Or else what?” she raised a defiant brow.

“I’ll…” he lowered his face towards her, “I’ll kiss your stubborn pretty lips.”

Said lips parted in shock.

Nadech chuckled at her alarmed expression. “Don’t worry, I was joking. Don’t look so frightened, someone might come in and think I’m bullying you.”

Pulling herself together, Yaya mumbled, “I’m not scared of you.”

“Darn, there goes my authority.”

She peeked up at him, no longer worried about his threat. “You’re not scary at all.” True, their first encounter still pressed at the back of her mind, and Yaya wasn’t completely convinced they were in the best situation right now…but she wasn’t scared of her jinx any longer.

He felt frozen in her doe-like gaze. She smiled, allowing him a sight of her, not as that broken sparrow, but as a strong free one gliding in the sky. Reminding himself that she was exactly like an innocent and gentle child, that he had to protect, he said, “Yaya, I’m glad you’re feeling better. How about you don’t walk in the garden tonight, and I’ll give you that present I promised you tomorrow?”

She nodded ok.

-------------
Thank you guys for persisting in reading, I understand it must have relaxed a bit from the beginning that had more action but I'm feeling like the Grinch right now. Just kidding. It's really just the story and I'm going to stick with this melancholy slow atmosphere lol. If it feels right, of course I'll slip in as much touchy-feely-ness as possible! um...yeah.

jjinxx

Thanks for the update na ka. Very good read as always.
I do hope you add "touchy-feely scene" a lot for us and DON'T be a grinch. hehehe

You know Yadech FF NEEDS LOADS of sexual tension and touchy feely because we fans are "starving" again after GRGR. April is too far away and I don't think TNNKK will have as much touch as GRGR na. Help us please.

hahaha. I am totally stalking your FF now. Sorry in advance na. I love your writing and I wish you update everyday like an episode. Demanding, aren't I? All out of love na. hehe

Vimalee

Live Love Laugh
:thanks: my dear jjinxxy for another wonderful update!

jjinxx

Chapter 8

Trees everywhere. This place reminded Yaya so much of her home that she was giddy with the effect, imagining her garden, the restaurant, the walk up to her house, the house that no longer existed. She felt Nadech tugging her by the hand inside a cabin that sat directly amongst the trees, almost blended in with its surroundings. He pulled dust cloths off the furniture, telling her to sit.

“Where are we?”

“This is my father’s cabin. He came here during his free time. It’s peaceful huh?” Nadech smiled with fondness. Although the cabin was rarely in use anymore, he and his father used to have ‘campouts’ here, where his father described it as a breath of fresh air from life. “This is your present, a special outing.”

The corners of her lips curved, palms caressing the wooden wall.

“Wanna take a walk?”

They strolled through the forest, not talking much along the way. Yaya gathered flowers here and there, fingers itching to touch the life around her.

Once they returned to the cabin, Nadech stopped at the door to ask if she was tired, just when she pulled out a handkerchief. She patted his forehead with it. He held perfectly still, unable to avert his eyes from her face. Her hand grew still, eyes magnetized to his.

He cleared his throat to hide the tremor in his chest and took a deep breath. “Get inside and rest.”

While Nadech labored to get a fire started in the long disused fireplace, Yaya settled into the couch and soon, she fell prey to the sly approach of sleep.

When Yaya opened her eyes, the smell of firewood tingled her nose. A small fire warmed the room. But besides herself, the room was empty. She was gripped by anxiety.

“Nadech?”

Disturbed, she got up and hastened to the door but right before she could open it, the door gave way to the person she was looking for.

Nadech stopped short, eyes wide. “Hey.”

With a fury that she herself didn’t understand, Yaya pushed past him and marched outside.

“Wait, where are you going?”

She ignored his calls and kept walking. “Yaya!”

He ran ahead of her and stopped her in her tracks. “Yaya, where are you going? What’s wrong?”

She scowled. “Why did you leave without telling me?”

“I just went to the car to get something—“

“You could have woken me up.”

“But you looked tired.”

Unyielding, she glared away some forest ferns. “You should have told me where you were going. I was…”

Nadech drew closer to her in earnest. “I wasn’t going to abandon you.”

Her eyes filled with tears that refused to fall. She turned her back to him. She hadn’t thought he abandoned her, she thought something bad happened to him and it wouldn’t have surprised her if that came true, and that was even worse.

“I’m sorry.” Nadech’s voice reached her from behind, apologetic.

“It’s ok.” She began walking back. He joined her side quietly. She stopped when a stick poked her bare foot.

“Tsk.” He shook his head. “You didn’t even wear your shoes. Come on.” He lowered himself before her. “Get on.”

“No, I’m fine.”

He threw a narrowed glance at her over his shoulder. “Get on,” he ordered.

She crossed her arms. “I happen to be an adult and can decide for myself what is best for me.”

Nadech got back up, eyed her archly, and before she knew it, his arms were around her shoulders.

“W-what are you doing?”

“You’re cold,” he replied. “And you didn’t even know it, am I right?”

It was true. She hadn’t realized the cold until it was contrasted with his warmth, a warmth that made her knees weak. Nadech pulled back and took her arm over his shoulder to guide her onto his back. He carried her back to the cabin, humming a random melody that seemed in tune to the whole essence of the woods.

Once inside, he wrapped the blanket around her and dragged the small coffee table in front of her.

“I brought our food,” he proceeded to unpack several appetizing choices for them to fill up on. They allowed the unpleasant atmosphere from just minutes before to evaporate. Yaya didn’t want to hold a grudge against him for not having done anything in the first place, so she ate silently and swiftly.

Gulping down some water when he was finished, Nadech sighed in satisfaction. “Doesn’t it feel great out here?”

Yaya played with the silverware. She used to love everything about nature, but trees and plants and birds and open skies were too connected with her lost family. “The woods feel much bigger now than I’m used to.”

“But that’s the fun right? The forests are just…fascinating,” Nadech grinned, “Like life.”

“But…” she squinted skeptically, “like life, a forest has no path. Life is scary.”

He held back a confidential smile, suddenly reminded of that invisible dreamlike path that had led him to her. “Exactly. So this life is absolutely and truly your own. It’s in your control to make your life what you want.”

Her face darkened. “Some of us have no control. We just live what comes our way.”

“So that gives you the right to give up?”

A flash of defiance crossed her eyes. “No. I’m not going to throw away precious life. But I don’t have much to live for.”

He inched closer. “Everyone has something to live for. However insignificant it appears to someone else, if it’s valuable to you, that’s all that matters. Take the ten year old me for instance.” He jabbed a thumb at his chest. “That was the first time I experienced a near-death situation. I was reckless and wild and I thought it’d be fun to drive a tractor. So I went to our plantation and got in a tractor, turned on the engine and drove it out on the fields. All the workers were panicking and yelling for me and chasing after the machine, but I was having a blast,” he chuckled at her incredulous frown, “It gets worse. I then stupidly wanted to pull a stunt to finish my grand performance, so I jumped out of the tractor while it was still moving. Of course, my hand just had to be on the wheel right before I jumped, so I accidentally turned its direction. I was lying in the dirt when the tractor came at me and,” Nadech smacked his hands together.

“How are you still standing?” she asked.

“A miracle. The tractor was nearly out of fuel when I got in it—that’s why no one had been watching it. But I was hospitalized for months and my legs took a full year to heal. But you know what? Even though I hated not being able to walk or run or play, you could argue the accident made me a better person. I couldn’t go outside, so I stayed in my room and studied. Plus, I took all of the medicine and therapy because I was determined to get better as fast as possible. Yep,” he sighed with pride, “I became the most responsible child you could imagine.” He turned to see her raised brow. “Well, until I broke my arm while mountain biking. But that was nothing compared to the tractor accident. The point is, I didn’t give up because, and I know this doesn’t sound like much, but back then, sports were my life. I put up with the grueling therapies and lonely days inside just for that prospect of being able to play ball again. The ten year old me actually had a purpose in life. Why can’t you too?”

For a second, Yaya merely stared at the floor, then a small smile formed on her lips. She looked at him. “I’m glad the ten year old you got to play football again. You’re all better now?”

“Totally. I have some scars from the surgery and stuff.” He pushed his pant legs up to reveal pale scars. They were light but clear under the flickering fire.

“There’s so many,” she murmured.

“Yeah,” he replied, “But I hardly notice them anymore. Besides, at least they’re only physical.”

She didn’t hear any pretention in his voice at all, and admired his insight in life. She hugged her knees tightly. “I hope I can reach the point when I don’t notice the scars anymore too.”

Nadech watched her—he never seemed to tire of doing that—but this time, he felt it wasn’t enough to simply keep his eye on her. He reached out and enclosed her hand in his. Her heart fluttered at his touch, before resuming its normal pace. She’d become accustomed to his contact, and yet this wasn’t completely the same. This time, it felt like a deep comfort, a shared understanding. Yaya knew he’d lost his father, so he was no stranger to loss, and yet he had achieved that underestimated talent of optimism.

“Hello?”

“Nadech, you’re with Yaya?”

“Yeah,” he could hear the grimness in Om’s voice. “What’s happened?”

“Pope Surongtakul is here with Mr. Sakdecha. They want to see her. I told them that she’s getting checked up at a hospital because she was ill. What do you think?”

Glancing distressfully at Yaya, Nadech answered, “Stick with that. She was registered there for our Doctor’s care anyway. I…I’ll let her decide if we should come back.”

“They refuse to leave. Sakdecha is demanding that we have her sent back immediately.”

“Just…try to occupy them for now. I want her to decide what she wants to do. Thanks P’Om.”

Nadech coughed softly. “Yaya, your cousin and…his friend are at the house.”

She visibly tensed, fear clenching her fists. It was hard to believe people like P’Pope existed when she had gotten used to the careful sheltering inside the Theerada house. “And? They want to see me?”

“If we go back and they force you to return, I’ll do everything in my power to make sure you aren’t taken against your will. I promise.”

And she believed him.

-------------
The atmosphere was nothing short of hostile in the Theerada living room. Although there was one person who certainly felt comfortable. Pope eyed Nadech and his cousin as they entered the room. He hoped this wouldn’t take long, since there was a lot of business to get back to at home.

“There you are,” he said, before Sakdecha beside him could open his mouth in outrage. “Come back home now.” His droll voice did not sound overeager to welcome his cousin back.

“As I have said before,” Mother announced coldly and with a strong presence that commanded respect, “We will be happy to have Yaya stay here.”

Pope had noticed this new name for his cousin, but he was unconcerned about what these people called her. It had nothing to do with him, and he wanted nothing to do with her. His expression stared through Yaya, who stood slightly behind Nadech. “So? You are unwilling to return? Are you sure?”

“She’ll be well-cared for,” Nadech said. He could tell Pope had no interested in this matter, but it didn’t hurt to at least make that clear.

Pope smirked. “She has nothing to offer you. What would you want her for?”

Nadech’s eyes narrowed to slits at this selfish question. “Yaya is my friend, therefore, I am willing to look after her. I hope that clarifies everything.”

“Sure.”

“Hey!” Sakdecha began. “What about—“

“It can’t be helped,” Pope cut him off. He was tired of Sakdecha’s ranting anyway. Whether his cousin went to Sakdecha or someone else, it didn’t matter as long as she was out of his way. “I have only one more thing to speak to you about.”

Mother glided towards Yaya and led her out of the room. She threw one last glance at Pope, which confirmed his indifference to her, and she left feeling empty. There was no doubt Pope didn’t care about her, but now, Yaya felt like she truly had no connection to her family anymore.

“Is it about the lawsuit?” Nadech asked, once he was alone with Pope.

“Yes. I just wanted to confirm that you won’t be changing your mind. Both our lives would be easier if you simply settle for monetary compensation. I assure you I will not be stingy, as I understand that it was…slightly unfair on your behalf concerning the broken contract.”

“Sorry, but I won’t settle for anything less.”

“Then if you lose, you have no regrets? We could end this now and you can still make a profit.”

Nadech returned his stony eyes with a shrewd look. “Profit is meaningless in comparison to the value of that land. I’ll do whatever I can to win it. That’s my final word.”

“Suit yourself,” Pope replied, rather bored, and without further inquiry, he exited, not taking a single look back at the house.

-------------
Nadech sat himself next to Yaya and he set one hand on her shoulder. She relaxed after having sat there for a while, her breath bubbled up inside her.

“He’s gone,” Nadech murmured.

“I don’t understand why he hates me,” she said. “I knew he wasn’t the friendliest person, but I just thought he was a serious man. And then I lived with him for that time after the fire and it’s weird because I didn’t even see him that often but…that was the thing. Like he couldn’t even stand to be in my presence.”

“You’re not the one who’s done anything wrong,” Nadech said. “But you don’t have to worry about him anymore, I’m sure. He can’t make you do anything anymore.”

She looked at him then, with the expression of someone who was searching for the flaw in something too good to be true. “I don’t know how to thank you.”

He glanced down with a smile. “I could think of a way.”

Yaya waited for everyone to settle into their seats before sitting too. Mother wore an approving smile, looking at the table of dishes that Yaya prepared for them.

“Um,” she began, “I’m afraid I’ve been out of practice so please excuse me if the taste isn’t satisfying.”

She felt Nadech nudge the side of her head. “No excuses. I expect this meal to be the best of your skills.” He helped himself to some food, as Mother and Om also began eating. She watched their faces and was relieved to see no one was disappointed.

“You don’t give yourself enough credit dear,” Mother said. “You’re a natural.”

“Thank you for this meal, Yaya,” Om also commented pleasantly. She nodded, not even sure how to reply that it was nothing compared to their help.

The meal progressed smoothly, none of them tainting the atmosphere with mention of the earlier visit from Pope.

“Where did you take Yaya this morning?”

“To dad’s cabin.”

Neither Nadech nor Mother noticed, and Yaya wouldn’t have either if she hadn’t coincidentally looked up, but she saw Om’s face grow blank and for the rest of dinner, he seemed to have a hard time swallowing. As soon as the others finished, he excused himself from the table.

“Nadech, have you heard Waneesa is returning? I’m going to see Mrs. Borirak tonight.”

“Really? So Bee will be here too!” He explained to Yaya, “Waneesa, or P’Nee, is our cousin’s wife, but unfortunately, P’Win died, so now it’s just P’Nee and her son Bee.”

Yaya nodded as Nadech continued to jubilate over his little nephew.

Later, she was joined by Nadech again in the living room. Yaya asked, “Why did Om look upset today?”

“When?”

“When you said you took me to your father’s cabin. He seemed troubled by it or something.”

Nadech’s face showed understanding. “Ah, I know now.”

“Is it because he misses your dad?”

“That’s part of it, but even bigger is that…” He frowned, face shadowed. “I should start at the beginning.”

“No,” she interceded hastily. “If it’s personal to your brother, I don’t want to pry.”

“It’s personal to all of us in this house. Don’t worry, it’s better if you know. As you’ve seen, my family’s not that big, but our house is big because my parents always wanted a lot of children. That couldn’t happen, but then my brother got engaged and they were filled with hope again. We were all excited. P’Om was engaged to one of our family friend’s daughters. Her name was Araya and she grew up with us so we were naturally very close. P’Om was…well, he was very deeply in love with her and they were engaged for a year and,” he took a deep breath, clearly affected by what happened, “and then she died. P’Om was the one who found her in the woods where dad’s cabin is.”

“How…?”

“She committed suicide.” He recognized the shocked sympathy on her expression. “Even now, we don’t know why. She didn’t leave any clue for us to understand what she was unhappy about, not even in her farewell note. I find it one of my biggest failures to not have noticed anything wrong. She was one of my closest friends…” He shook his head. “After, her parents moved to the north. P’Om took a lot of time to recover and of course, it doesn’t end easily.” And not for him either. He had been ecstatic that his best friend was going to become a sister to him and then cruelly, she was taken away from all of them.

For a moment, Yaya recalled telling Mother that her fiance was dead, and Mother’s face had registered sadness. “I understand. It can’t be easy to live after something like that.”

The following silence gave them time to fight each of their own melancholy.

“Anyway, P’Om doesn’t go there but I do. The memories of dad are too strong to resist.” He awarded her a look of appraisal. “I didn’t get to tell you I liked your food.”

“Really?”

“Mhm.”

“What did you like about it?”

He cocked his head thoughtfully. “It tasted like a thousand years.”

She drew her head back. “That’s like saying it tasted rotten.”

“No,” he laughed. “I mean aside from being tasty, it was savory. Like a taste familiar with the past and it’s like, even in my next life I could remember this taste, or the person who made it.”

As if by accident, their eyes met and some greater power clicked a switch so that it was impossible to look away. Before either realized it, they could feel the other’s breath upon their own cheek, having drawn closer.

And then, Nadech broke the spell. He blinked away, stuttering silently to recover the casualness previous to…to the nothing that happened. “It’s getting late. Let’s go on to bed.”

Side by side, they ascended the stairs, footsteps matched. Yaya’s room was nearest and so he paused to bid her good night. That was when she took the opportunity to fill in the nothing that happened, by initiating a hug. There were many things she wanted to tell him; that she felt thankful, that she felt free for the first time. That she trusted him. She hoped he understood these. Then Yaya turned away quickly into her room and closed the door, almost afraid of his reaction.

Nadech stayed where he was, her embrace having left him surprised and…thrilled? Why should that be? It was probably because everything turned out okay. Yaya was safe now. She was with him.

-------------
jjinxx

You saved my day jjinxxy!!! Thank you for the wonderful update na ka. Everything about it was beautiful. Love the idea of them being in the woods together alone. xoxo

ukepearl

sarNie Hatchling
jinxyyyyyy :) so glad theres a new update!! :D
i love your writing seriously.. are you normally a writer??
ohhhh they're getting closer!! i like the style of your writing.. and im trying to like experiment with the way i write inspired by you :) anyways
that definitely made my day- wish you a merry xmas and a happy new year!
can't wait for your next update!
xx

Vimalee

Live Love Laugh
Thanks for another great update, jjinxxy!

You made my day!

Want to wish everyone a very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.

May this holiday brings you lots of love, much happiness and good health.

:beer: :xmas: :beer: :xmas:

shengvang

sarNie Adult
Awwww this was such a nice chapter! I love it when they enter the house and she was hiding in back of nadech cause she was scared of pope. It remind me of when nangfah was scared of the villager at koh min, and was hiding behind saichon back and holding on to his hand. Mannn how i miss saichon gub nangfah so much! Anyways they are both building there relationship with eachother as days goes by! I like the fact that they are both opening up on each other personal life. Now I can't wait to see how they are both going to share there feeling toward each other. I'm so eager to read the next chapter!

Thanks for the update na ja jjinxx! And Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to you na!

jjinxx

Chapter 9

Yaya parted the curtains the next morning and thoroughly welcomed the sun for the first time since the fire. There was still one thing though that she was bothered by.

Yaya nervously waited while the phone rang. When the voice that answered was the one she’d wanted to hear, she sighed with relief. “Mint?”

A moment of silence. “Rassa? It’s you right?!” Mint glanced around her house, then lowered her voice, which began to quiver with tears. “How are you? What happened? Why did you run away?”

Things were too complicated to make sense over a phone call. “I had to. I’m okay right now but I just really needed to know how you were doing, and…” she gulped, “Have you heard anything about Mark?”

“No. I wasn’t allowed out of the house so I couldn’t visit him. I have no idea how he is.”

Yaya gripped the phone hard. Was there anything she would be able to do? “Do you think they’ll allow him to be bailed out?”

“Maybe…But even if that was possible, how could the two of us achieve it? I’m stuck here and you’re…Rassa, where have you gone?”

Pope had not bothered to inform Mint where she was. “I’m—“ Yaya stopped, the tone interrupting her. “Hello? Mint?” Had someone made Mint end the call? She was about to redial when Kat called her to have breakfast.

Arriving at the table, Yaya noticed she was not the only one whose day was grey-casted. “Om?”

He was the only with her at the moment.

“Yes?”

“Are you feeling ok?” Whether he was distracted by the past that Nadech had recounted to her, or worried about something new, she wasn’t sure.

Something about her soft expression accompanied by the sincere concern in her question made him feel better. “Yeah, thanks.” And he was able to greet Nadech and Mother with a smile.

After finishing breakfast, Nadech turned to Yaya and opened his mouth but was cut off by his cell phone’s ring. Away from the table, he talked with Boy, who informed him about a certain matter he was looking into.

Sitting back down, Nadech said, “I was hoping to take Yaya around the city today but something came up. Om, could you take her? I’ll be at work, so you don’t have to worry.”

“Does Yaya want to go?” Om had not forgotten her lack of enthusiasm from before.

But she responded, “I’d like to go.”

After some sight-seeing and street-hopping, Om and Yaya arrived at a park. They claimed one of the benches beside the pond and took to watching the ducks float in groups across the water.

“Thanks for this. Am I keeping you from anything important?” Yaya asked.

Om replied, “You don’t have to worry. Every day is the same for me anyway.”

At that, she side-glanced him. “I heard from Kat that I look like her.”

He looked up, brow puckered. A few moments later, eyes on the pond, he said, “Hardly, but more so than anyone else we know. Maybe it’s not all in the looks, but more in your mannerisms. Araya was always in the kitchen too.”

Yaya took her time responding. “I won’t be as pretentious as to assume my presence has any effect on your family because of my…slight resemblance to the woman named Araya. I don’t think it’s imaginable to take someone’s place. But I don’t want any of you to accept me unwillingly if it has to do with her.”

He was about to protest but she went on. “And I’m not going to use the people I lost to build an image of myself as someone pitiful. But, simply with my impression of you as a person who loves and cares for his family, I hope you and I can help each other make small steps towards…letting our scars fade.” She met his confused eyes and smiled. “Things are not so hard when you have other people with you. Even if they don’t completely understand you, sincerity is hard to dismiss.” Her smile grew at the thought of the other gentleman she was living with who was not with them here.

For the first time in a long time, Om took notice of a woman’s smile. The curve of her lips along with the warm color took his breath away momentarily.

“So?” she asked. “Can you welcome me as a friend, and not someone who is replacing anyone or as someone who needs to be taken care of?” Yaya chuckled. “Nadech is doing enough of that already.”

Om answered with a nod of his head.

“How was your outing?” Mother asked.

“Nice.” Yaya was beginning to appreciate concise simple answers, where before, she would have spewed a thousand little details. But Mother was a native to this city, so she knew just about all the good places that Yaya must have liked.

“I’m glad you got some change in environment. Actually, that goes for the both of you. Om barely goes out so I’m always worried that he isn’t living his life to the fullest.”

“But it can’t be easy to see beauty when he lost someone so important.”

“You’ve heard?”

Yaya nodded.

“Yes, it came as quite a tragedy to everyone in this house. I try not to push him too hard, but I just want him to start living again. He was never very out-going in the first place. Nadech on the other hand, I had to keep my eye on always. He was too adventurous. You know he had more than one nearly fatal accident,” she chuckled weakly. “Nearly killed me each time too.

“He told me about the tractor one.”

“I can never forget that day, even the exact date. June ninth, nineteen eighty-three. Each year the day brings back horrible memories. He lost so much blood they thought it would only take a miracle for him to live normally.”

“Someone like Nadech can’t escape a miracle,” Yaya said, then her brow puckered. “June ninth? That was…”

Yaya was out in the back yard, mulling over her incredible thoughts. June ninth. Eighteen years ago. Was she remembering right? And when she thought of that day she first met Nadech in the woods…

“The heavens don’t seem to want me on earth without you…”

Suddenly, she felt something cover the top of her head. Peering from underneath the hat’s brim, Yaya saw Nadech’s broad grin. She lifted the hat away to look at it; golden straw colored with a precise roundness wrapped with a navy blue ribbon.

“Mom mentioned when you and P’Om had left that you should’ve worn a hat to shade your eyes. I passed by the store and saw this.” He saw the delight in her eyes which facilitated his own pounding heart.

“Thank you!” she replaced it on her head. Turning her eyes on him, she tilted her head. “What?”

“There’s something…” he looked off, “something I’m trying to get done. I hope I can do it.”

“What is it?”

“A surprise.”

Kat appeared with the news, “Miss Nee is here for a visit with Mother.”

“Hey, come on, I want you to meet P’Nee.”

“How is little Bee doing?”

“He’s gotten so big. I’ll bring him here next time because he wouldn’t stop talking about…” The slender woman with her soft hair pinned up gracefully looked up when two people entered. She noticed their hands were held loosely and unconsciously. “Nadech!”

“P’Nee, so there you are. Mom said you were back home.”

With a natural poise, Nee stood up to welcome them. Her eyes slid to Yaya. “And who might this be?”

“This is Yaya. She has become a member of the family.”

“Nadech has gotten…married?” She gave an uncertain smile. “Or Om…?”

“No, no, nothing like that,” Mother said, “We certainly would have informed you if anything like that had happened. No, Yaya is…well, a friend of Nadech’s whom we’ve welcomed permanently.”

Yaya wondered how many other relatives they would have to fumble through explanations with, and felt uneasy about giving the Theeradas yet another burden.

“Well it’s very nice to meet you.”

“Nice meeting you too.”

“Is Om around? I’d like to see him before I leave.”

“He should be back soon, but you must stay for dinner,” Mother said.

In a short time, Om joined them and dinner was set. Nee finished telling them about her trip to Europe, then informed them that she had returned to find out that her home chef had resigned.

“One of the maids is doing the cooking but I hope to find a replacement soon so she won’t have so much workload. And you remember how picky Bee is? It might take a while.”

“Well good luck,” Nadech said, “Fortunately for us, if Sita decides to take a break, we have Yaya to depend on.” He looked pointedly at Yaya with a grin.

“Is that so?”

“Yes, Yaya cooks very well,” Om commented.

Nee glanced his way. “You’re all going to have to visit the house some time. And I’m planning on throwing an anniversary party for my parents too.”

“How sweet. We’ll surely attend,” Mother said.

When it came time for her to leave, Nee offered a friendly handshake to Yaya. “Again, nice meeting you. Since you’re a family friend, I’d be happy to give you help if you ever need it.” She handed a business card to Yaya, who accepted it with a “Thank you.”

Nee asked Om to see her out.

“She’s very nice,” Yaya said while the two disappeared out the door.

“It’s so sad that my nephew had to die young. They made a lovely little family and Nee is a wonderful woman.”

Before going to bed, Yaya was given a small package from Kat.

“This is from Mister Nadech. He said it is medicinal tea and to have some in the morning.”

“Thank you Kat.” Yaya mumbled, already warm to the tips of her fingers and toes even before drinking any of the tea. She already knew Nadech was a caring person but how was it possible that she was lucky enough to have met someone who was always thoughtful of her? And how was she supposed to just sit around and let everyone else take care of her life? But she had no way of making herself useful, since the Theerada house had everything it needed. There had to be at least a way to make her less of his responsibility though.

A few days later, Nadech ran home from work with something he wanted to tell Yaya but surprisingly, she wasn’t home.

“But,” he frowned, “Where could she have gone?”

“I’m not sure, she wouldn’t tell me.” Kat winced apologetically.

Mother was also gone and Om was at work and Nadech had no way of contacting Yaya.

-------------
Nee couldn’t have been more surprised when the new girl living with the Theerada family contacted her. Sitting across from her in Nee’s living room, Nee raised a brow at Yaya’s request.

“Do any of them know you’re here?”

Yaya shook her head.

“So you’re really trying to apply for the position of cook in my house?”

“Yes. I’m not sure how you want to do this, but I can make something for you if you’d like.”

Nee hesitated. It had been obvious to her even during that first visit that Yaya was someone the Theeradas considered important, though Nee had obtained only limited information from Om that night. And yet, here she was completely unabashed about asking for a small cooking job.

“Sure…why not?” Nee led the way into the well-stocked kitchen and with her permission, Yaya proceeded to washing, cutting, and cooking a dish.

Surprised by her efficiency, and again when she tasted the food, Nee slowly commented, “You’re very good, just as I heard the other night.”

“Thank you. I’m not a professional or anything, so please don’t feel pressured to hire me. Um, but if you choose me I’ll make it my duty to learn a broader range of dishes, like foreign foods, if that’s what you like. I’m a fast learner,” she added eagerly.

Nee still hadn’t convinced herself she should hire the girl. “I would hire you immediately…”

Yaya held her breath.

“…except, since you’re under the care of Mother and the others, I really don’t feel uncomfortable doing so without their knowledge. Don’t you think it will be best if we inform them first?”

Yaya nodded. “I understand. I’ll tell them when I get back, I promise.”

“Why don’t I give you a ride back? That way, I might be able to help convince them if they have any objections.” She offered a smile. “I really do think you’d be perfect for the job.”

“Thanks.”

Yaya was hoping they wouldn’t oppose to her decision. But when Nadech turned his stern eyes on her, she thought she’d have to fight for this one.

Mother was first, “But Yaya, you really don’t need to be working.”

“But…I feel useless.”

“Why should you? Your duty is to keep this old woman company.”

She smiled gratefully. “You know I’ll do whatever you want, but I’ve completely recovered, so shouldn’t I, I dunno, be helping more?”

“If Mother needs her here at home, that’s for the best,” Nee said.

Mother shook her head. “Well, I wouldn’t want to hold her back from something she clearly likes doing.”

Nee looked at Om. “What do you think?”

Om half-smiled. “If Yaya wishes it, and things work out, I don’t see who we could trust more than Nee.”

This gave Nee the warmest feeling. Immediately, she agreed with him. “Yes, I assure you all, she’ll have no problems working at my house.” Nee gazed particularly earnestly at Om.

Yaya was still waiting for Nadech’s approval. She glanced sideways at him. He sighed. He didn’t really have an excuse to tell her no, but he hadn’t expected for her to find a job so fast. It was too sudden when he had gotten used to thinking about coming home to her. “I suppose…if this is really what you want,” he looked at her, “then we can give it a try. P’Nee was close to our family at least.”

Yaya’s lips stretched in a triumphant smile. “I won’t disappoint you all.”

“But you can’t start work until next week.”

“Why not?” Yaya had already begun putting together many considerations for her job.

“I have something important coming up that concerns you. I’ll need you here this weekend.”

“That should be fine,” Nee said. “I’m so glad you all approve. This is going to be fun.”

Yaya was trying to wait patiently for this important matter from Nadech, but it wasn’t until three days later that Nadech finally exposed his surprise.

“What is this?” Yaya wondered, opening a box left on her bed. Inside was a cell phone. She’d just picked it up when it rang, nearly making her drop it. Glancing at it warily, she pressed the talk button.

“…Hello?” she said slowly.

“What took you so long?”

“Nadech?”

“Of course. Who were you expecting?” he joked.

“H…how did you call…?”

“That’s your phone from now on. Keep it with you at all times, especially if you plan to sneak out of the house again.” She could imagine his eyes narrowing. “Okay?”

“Kay…?”

“Go out and wait in the garden for me. I’m bringing something home for you.”

He ended the call with just that.

Yaya’s hands grazed the rose bushes, lost in thought. She had no idea what she could be involved with now that P’Pope had agreed to let her stay here.

Something sharp pricked her. She brought her hand up close to see a bead of blood grow on her finger. It seemed like thanks to Nadech, this was the extent of pain she had felt since coming here.

From nowhere, someone wrapped a handkerchief around her bleeding finger. Yaya looked up to an incredible face. “Mark?”

-------------
I know. I know this is a terrible place to stop at but I just can't go on further until I've got more writing down. I'm sorry! >< And I don't know when the next update will be, since I'm going on my trip and when I get back, the semester will have started already which means busy, busy, busy. Thank you all for reading! Love you, happy holidays and Sawatdee Peemai!

jjinxx

@lakornkiki, hehehe, yes I hope I'll achieve more Yadech alone time once I get this story back on track. Thank you dear for everything!

@ukepearl, uh...555 I don't think I qualify as a writer in the sense that you mean. But thank you for your warm words and I'm glad you're enjoying it! Keep up the good work, I love your story!

@Vimalee, right back at you dear! Thank you for always supporting! Hope you have a wonderful holidays and new year! xoxo

@kenann fan, yes Yaya trusts Nadech completely now muahaha. I know I'm being so cruel by not just giving them a makeout session in the woods, but Nadech's gotta uphold his guardian duties well, right? Pfft, we'll see how long that lasts. Thanks!

Sneak Peeks for Yadech Geeks
“The hard thing is knowing when you’ve met that person who is your soulmate, isn’t it?” Nadech asked.
“Or knowing if you’ll meet them at all.” The hope, the insecurities, and the yearning in her words were clear.
Nadech looked from her to the stars and then back. He then leaned towards her, “Don’t worry. If that person doesn’t come to you, I’ll walk with you back to the stars.”

"Then I'll marry her."
Pope saw this, saw the confusion and the dismay in their eyes. And it amused him. So he said, “I have no further objections. From now on, my cousin is yours.”

“Do you really think any power in the universe will keep us apart? As long as you’re standing on earth, not even heaven can force me to leave. Therefore, the only way for me not to die is for you to keep being strong. I know you can do it.”
She shook her head. What was she but one woman without anything to protect the people she loved?
“Yes, you can,” he said sternly. “Do I have to convince you?” He shifted and she lifted her chin, not expecting for his lips to come to a rest right on top of hers.
In her own right, Yaya was a chef. But she’d never tasted anything more exquisite than his lips. And she finally understood what he meant when he had told her of a taste so savory that even in her next life, she would remember the person who made it.

shengvang

sarNie Adult
Thank you so much jjinxx for another great and wonderful chapter. And wow mark is back, what a surprise! Any who, I love the sneak peek. Finally, lip to lip scene so can not wait for the next it! Excited.

And have fun going on your trip! Be safe and may God be with you and guide you through your trip! Ill be here waiting for your next update!

jjinxxy - Merry Christmas and thank you so much for the update. You know me, I skim through the other people lines to Yadech's and then re-read their lines some more. hehe I know you are developing characters but i am a certified Yadech addict so I skip around when there are others in the scene. Once I get enough of their scene then I read the entire chapter. AND your spoiler is great.... I can't wait to see it in the story na ka.

Have a wonderful holiday jjinxxy. Maybe you'll have more ideas on the plane na. : )
Be safe and have a great time on your trip ka.

Edit - I hope by seeing Mark again that Yaya realized her feeling for Nadech. She thinks she loves Mark but now she has known Nadech, she will have to know the difference in the way her heart beats. SHE'S GOT TO KNOW - that her heart and soul belong to Nadech.

I was also thinking of Nadech and Yaya last night (haha... they do occupy my thoughts) when a friend who was doing some magic tricks (he was bending spoons with the energy from his finger tips) and reminded me that we are magnetic. Our bodies are made of energy and there are some feelings that are more attracted then others. (am I making sense?) Anyhow, I was wondering how they feel when they touch each other (in real life na). Is it as electrifying as it is on the screen? So funny that I am reading this FF and thinking - that's it. They are being pulled together by their magnetic energy.... and they are going to explode. hahaha.

Oh, I can't wait to find out what happened 18 years ago na. I am guessing that she was born that day????

jjinxx

Chapter 10

He looked ruffled and tired, but none of that was too apparent once he saw her. His smile was endless. “Rassa!”

“Mark!” They were in each other’s arms.

Mark pulled back and looked her over. He couldn’t believe she was really in front of him when he thought he’d never escape that jail cell in his life. But here she was, whole and healthy. “What happened? Why are you here and who’s that man? The one who freed me?”

“He’s Nadech,” she smiled through tears.

Something in her voice when she said that name made him pause for moment. “Who is he? And how did you get here? I’ve been so worried!”

“I’m so sorry!” she said, “I’ll tell you what happened but, it really doesn’t matter anymore. All that matters is that you’re no longer shut away.”

Mark pulled her into his embrace. “Come with me. Come back home with me and we can go see mom and I’ll never leave you alone. I’ll protect you.”

He felt the shake of her head. “You don’t need to.”

“What do you mean? Rassa, please, we need to go back home.”

She stiffened and extracted herself once more. “I…I don’t want to. I want to stay here.”

“W-what are you—Rassa, why do want to stay here? It’ll be better if you return with me. Now that I’ve been cleared of being framed, I’ll be able to help you. Is it about Pope? I’ll make sure he doesn’t hurt you.”

She shook her head again, “There’s no need. I…everything is okay now. You’re free and I’m…I’m going to stay here. With Nadech.”

For the second time that she had uttered the name, Mark heard her voice filled with a strange happiness, as if simply that man’s name was all she needed in order to face the world. “Rassa,” his face was now set grimly, “When I was coming here, I heard him—that man, call you something. Why is he calling you that?”

“That’s…who I am.”

He stepped away in denial. “No. He’s done something…These people have done something to you, haven’t they?”

“All they are is kind and understanding and generous. I couldn’t have survived without them,” she replied softly.

“You mean HIM. What has he done to you?”

“NOTHING,” and this time there was an edge to her tone. “Look, you don’t understand what happened.”

“Then tell me.”

“If it wasn’t for Nadech’s help, if it wasn’t for his family, I might have ended my life already.”

These words struck him hard.

“I was alone, I felt unwanted, I missed everyone from home so much. But I was scared of my home too, because of—“

“Sakdecha,” he hissed.

She nodded. “I wanted to be far away. It was Nadech who helped me get away and yet kept me grounded on earth. I can’t…can’t leave him.”

“So you’re willing to change your identity to be with him?”

“I’m still the same person!” She grabbed his hand before he turned away. “Please listen to me Mark!”

“How can you say that when you’ve obviously changed?” He pulled away sharply.

“Mark! Don’t go.” She held his arm tight, and he heard her anguish.

He looked down at her tear-stained face, but it wasn’t the naive girl whom he had been friends with, had cherished the hope of moving past that friendship into something else. Yes, there was still the gentleness and beauty in her eyes, but she had been through so much. She looked…different. Older, or matured, and he hadn’t been there to witness it, but he knew he should be thankful for the man who had helped her survive when Mark had not been able to. Yet, a part of him did not want to let his Rassa go, even knowing how impossible returning to the past would be.

“Rassa, please don’t cry. I never like seeing you cry.” He hugged her. “I’m sorry. I’m sorry, I know you’re still you.”

“Yes, I’m just…”

“You’ve grown,” he said sadly, “and it hurts to know it was due to all the pain you suffered.” She looked up at him and he understood. “But the pain is not as bad anymore, is it? Because of him?”

“Yes. Mark, please don’t blame Nadech. I…I chose to become like this.” After they had calmed down, she said to him, “Mark, can you do something for me? Can you go back home and look after Mint?”

He frowned, “What’s happened to her?”

“I don’t know. I was only able to contact her once and that time, I think someone might have caught her on the phone with me. I’m afraid she’ll be punished. You know her family doesn’t like me.” There was no question about her not referring to them as her family anymore.

Mark answered with a heavy heart, “I…if you really want me to. Are you sure you’ll be fine here alone?”

She smiled. “I won’t be alone.”

Nadech watched Yaya with her friend and smiled. This was all that he had been able to succeed in doing for her. Just before reaching home, he’d been informed that he had lost the lawsuit against Pope, and so, the land he wanted was not going to be obtained after all. But at least Yaya looked happy. That was all that mattered.

Mother appeared at his side, eyes on the couple outside. “Is he…here to take her back?”

Nadech’s heart skipped yet again. “I don’t know. Maybe; if she wants him to.” I don’t want him to, was what he had actually thought.

“Well I don’t want him to,” Mother stated, verbalizing Nadech’s secret wish. “I’ve grown used to her. It’s strange to say it, but I feel that she belongs here. There was always an emptiness in this house that grew after your father’s and Araya’s deaths, but a little bit of it is being filled up with this dear girl.”

“Maybe she was meant to fill up someone else’s emptiness,” Nadech said, but didn’t truly believe. He made himself turn away from the window.

They went inside, where Nadech and Mother were waiting in the living room. It was very easy for Mark to feel like an outsider, as he observed their slightest interactions, from the immediate smile on Nadech’s face, to Yaya’s responding eyes, to Mother who held out a hand for Yaya to take and sit at her side. Yaya gestured for Mark to come closer and he sat down in one of the couches next to her. Mark told himself that Nadech couldn’t be all that bad, reminding himself of Rassa’s radiance when he first saw her look up into his eyes—she had actually glowed. He had nearly been eaten over by his fear of the hell she was living through, but however much he might resent this strange man, Mark was not enough of a bitter person to not admit that he was grateful for Nadech.

Nadech did not miss the rigidity in Mark’s posture, and apparently Mother did also.

“Make yourself at home here,” she said with keen kindness.

“Yes ma’am. Uh…” Mark cleared his throat, addressing Nadech. “On our way here, I was too confused to properly thank you. I honestly don’t know how I’m going to repay you.”

“Don’t worry about it.”

“But this is a big matter. I can’t just let it go so…” Mark glanced at Yaya, before saying seriously, “If there’s any way for me to pay back my debt to you, you have to let me know.”

Consenting, Nadech said, “Then in the future, I’ll count on you if I need anything.” Mark looked skeptically at him, as if he didn’t expect Nadech to keep his word, or as if the elder man was merely agreeing to keep him happy. “I promise.”

“Mark!” Yaya said, “Are you going to be leaving soon? Can you stay for a while?” She peered at Mother, who nodded in agreement.

“I need to get back to my mom. I’m worried about how she’s doing and she doesn’t know yet that I’ve been released.” Now that Yaya was cared for, he wanted to leave as soon as possible both for his mother’s sake and for his own.

“But at least stay for the night. Please,” Yaya persisted earnestly, one hand on top of Mark’s.

He sighed and nodded. “Only if you make me dinner,” his lips twitched in a smile.

She grinned and stood up. “Let’s see…I want to make nam tok…and eggplant salad!”

When Yaya and Mother left for the grocery store, as she wanted to do the shopping herself, Mark uneasily shifted in his seat, eyes wandering randomly around the house.

“What are your plans now?” Nadech asked.

“I’ll go see my mom first. I want her to move so that…” So that Pope or anyone else could not do anything to his loved ones. “I just want to make sure she’s safe. And then I have to check up on one of our friends.” Mark eyed Nadech suspiciously. “Why did you decide to take Ra--Yaya in?”

Nadech smiled, as he answered freely. “To be honest, I don’t know. It just felt right.” He glanced up at Mark’s questioning brow. “I know that as her friend, you’re worried about her. But all of us here have good intentions for Yaya. We care about her too.”

Mark drew in a deep breath. “What…what will she live here as?”

Nadech chuckled. “Does she have to be given a title? It seems everyone is concerned about that.”

“It’s a big deal,” Mark insisted, “Imagine being taken in by a group of people you never knew before. Even if you are the kindest people in the world, if she doesn’t have her own proper place to fit in, how will she feel that she BELONGS?”

This gave something for Nadech to ponder over. It made sense, and it fit in with why Yaya was so restless. “Then, she will be here as…my sister.”

“That’s impossible.”

“Why so?”

“Because anyone who is not the same blood will never be able to see her as a sister,” was the confident reply and it told Nadech how highly Mark thought of Yaya.

“This includes you?” Mark gave an honest nod. “So why are you not taking Yaya back home with you?”

“She doesn’t want to come. She wants to stay here,” Mark reluctantly added, “with you.”

Nadech’s heart performed a cartwheel. His eyes flickered to the vase set with roses that Yaya had placed there two days ago.
Mark’s eyes found the gleam that had betrayed Nadech, and he saw that Nadech had not known this truth but having heard of it, was thrilled. Sadly, Mark had no choice but to accept that he would be returning home alone.

The day after Mark left, Yaya rose with the sun. When she arrived for breakfast, she fidgeted and looked distracted. Nadech took in her appearance, a solemn white top with a closed collar, tucked into black pants.

“Nervous for your first day at work?”

She sipped some water before nodding. “I’ve worked in a restaurant before but this is so different.” She had liked to pretend before that she was an adult, but the responsibilities adults faced were suddenly unappealing.

“You’ll be fine dear. I’m sure Nee will understand if you are not in sync on the first day,” Mother assured her. “Don’t be afraid.”

Yaya beamed with gratefulness. And Nadech noticed her plaited tresses, her primary hairstyle, which had steadily built her a much more mature image. He suddenly wondered where that girl he first met had disappeared and when this woman took her place. Mother caught Nadech’s eyes on Yaya and hid a smile.

At the end of Yaya’s first week, she sighed.

“What was that for?” Nadech asked while they sat under a blanket of stars after dinner.

“It was in relief. I didn’t manage to mess things up,” she clasped her hands contentedly. “P’Nee and I get along real well too. Nadech I wanted to ask you; does P’Nee like Om?”

“What?” he snorted. “I doubt it. I’ve never seen them be anything more than friends.”

“Oh. I suppose so.” It was only that Yaya had seen Nee smile every time they happened to mention Om. Om himself was growing on Yaya. Not that she had disliked him, but there hadn’t been the same instant connection which she had found with Nadech. She always felt like she had to hesitate before speaking in front of him, whereas with Nadech, words flowed without thought or effort.

“And don’t you…have a girlfriend?” Yaya had gathered several days of courage to ask this question of Nadech. There had been no clues given that he DID have a girlfriend, but that was even stranger to her.

He laughed. “Not me. Guess no one will have me.”

“Or are you just too picky?” she joked.

“The heart has to be, because it wants to be spared pain.” He took a deep breath. “I’m surprised that you didn’t leave with Mark.”

Yaya smiled. “I love him, but it is only as a friend.”

“Are you sure?” Why had he asked? Did he WANT her to regret not going with Mark? Nadech grimaced at himself.

“I’m sure. I used to hope differently but Mark and I will remain friends. He is one of those who only accompanied me part of the way, I guess.”

“What do you mean?” he asked curiously.

“My mom used to tell me that before being born, we all travel from the stars to earth. Along the way, we meet the souls of the people who will become our friends in life. Some of them walk beside us for a while, and then leave in a different direction. Only the one soul who accompanies you all the way is your soulmate.” She hugged her arms. “It sounds foolish, but also reassuring doesn’t it? To think you’ll have someone destined to be with.”

“The hard thing is knowing when you’ve met that person, isn’t it?” Nadech asked.

“Or knowing if you’ll meet them at all.” The hope, the insecurities, and the yearning in her words were clear.

Nadech looked from her to the stars and then back. He then leaned towards her, “Don’t worry. If that person doesn’t come to you, I’ll walk with you back to the stars.”

A peculiar feeling rose in Yaya’s chest. It was as if a hole she hadn’t realized was there was being filled up a little, quenching her aching heart.

When she lifted her face up to Nadech’s, it was his turn. The feeling wasn’t unlike the heart spasms he’d experienced lately, except apparently every cell in his body was beating to the rhythm of her breath.
She managed to resist some sort of temptation and laughed gently. “And what if the journey keeps you from your soul mate?”

“She’ll understand if she really is my soulmate.”

Yaya turned narrowed eyes at him. “Don’t regret it if I take your word for it. You might become my prisoner for life.”

The heavens wouldn’t be cruel enough to keep this girl from her soulmate, he was sure. “Bring on the shackles,” he murmured quietly. Yaya gulped as he came closer still, their noses nearly touching, before the lawn lamp in front of them flashed on brightly. She lowered her head away, feeling short of breath.

-------------
jjinxx

Dal

***LOVE, LOVE YADECH***
I must die...I can not write my thoughts at the moment. Welcome back, my dear friend. I've missed you, Jjinxxy. THANK YOU.

ukepearl

sarNie Hatchling
what dal said ;DDD
hahahaha welcome back jinxxy :)
how was SEA? right? ahhhh this chapter is leaving me.... ajfafhgbgajfbgjah spazzing :)
i am going to use that soulmate star thing now hahaha its so... :DDD
glad you're writing again.. everyone has been updating except for me im so stuck!!
anyways don't keep us from these two soulmates too long naja ;)

I am so happy that you are back jjinxxy! You know I missed you while you were away too. : )

You sure know how to keep my heart raising. That was a great update ka. Thank you!

shengvang

sarNie Adult
BREATHLESS...this is such an amazing chapter! I love it. Nadech and yaya are getting closer and closer! Thank you so much for the update na ja!

And welcome back jjinxx, miss you na!