Soulmate's Path| Complete

jjinnxxy - Just dropping by to send you some love ja. Hope school is going good na. I've been stalking Noy's smooth operator FF lately... but I am here too. Miss your writing and I totally understand - school is more important na.

Write again when you can na ka.

*hugs!*

jjinxx

Is your "nom" Fai-approved?
Chapter 11

Mint looked up as her maid, Jen crept in. Jen was Mint’s sole comfort during this time that she was basically being imprisoned in her own home. “What is it Jen?” She noticed the slight paranoid look in Jen’s eyes.

“Mint, there’s someone here.”

“Who?”

“Shh,” Jen motioned, and came close so she could whisper. “Go down to the back of the house, right where the fence ends. Mark is here to see you.”

Mint’s eyes grew round. “How—“

“I don’t know. But be sure no one sees you, understand?”

Downstairs, Mint paused at the foot of the stairs, surprised to see Pope sitting in one of the leather lounges. He spared her a piercing glance before continuing to read what he had in hand. She took a shuddering breath and casually crossed the room to the glass patio doors.

“Where are you going?”

She couldn’t keep the dislike out of her voice. “Outside.”

Once outside, she cautiously glanced over her shoulders, and seeing no one follow, her footsteps grew quicker. As she neared the border of their yard, she saw someone’s head peek out from the fence.

“P’Mark!” She ran to him. He took her hands in his.

“Mint, how are you?”

She was crying already. “Me? How are you? What happened? How in the world did you get out? And,” she swallowed back her tears, “Does your mom know? Oh gosh, Mark, it’s terrible! I miss P’Rassa so much!”

“It’s okay. I saw her, she’s protected. She wanted me to check up on you.”

“That’s not your duty.”

They whipped around just as Pope and some of his workers approached. Mint said, “P’Mark go!”

But Mark pulled Mint behind him and faced Pope fiercely.

“Interesting,” Pope commented, “Looks like you have better connections that I thought. You can get off my property now.” When he saw Mint holding Mark’s arm, Pope’s face darkened. “Now,” he repeated with a load of venom.

“Go P’Mark. Please, I’ll be okay.”

Mark glared at Pope. “What are you doing? Isn’t it enough that you took everything away from Rassa, your own cousin? Why are you torturing your sister too?”

“That, is none of your business. She’s mine, and I will teach her what’s proper however I like.”

“Just stop hurting people already!”

“How are you going to keep me from doing what I want?” Pope’s hand twitched, and the workers surrounded Mark and Mint. “Now let go of Mint before I have to redefine the word ‘pain’ to you. Did you forget the last time we saw each other? Let go of her, pathetic boy. Don’t make me angry.”

“I’m not afraid of you. You can’t do anything to me,” Mark had already made his mom relocate. “And Rassa is out of your reach also.”

Pope sighed. “I see now. So that’s how you got out. Looks like Rassa knows how to take advantage of—“

“Don’t you speak badly about her!” Mark interrupted. “You can’t do anything to the people I care about so I don’t care what you do to me but I won’t stand to watch you hurting Mint!”

“I’ll give you a choice. Leave now, or you’ll find yourself back where you came from.”

“No!” Mint stepped out and implored Mark, “Just go. Don’t worry about me! Go now P’Mark.”

“Mint, come here.”

“No,” Mark held Mint back.

“I’m getting tired of this,” Pope’s hands clenched. He motioned for the workers to move in, but Mint didn’t want Mark to get hurt again, so she pulled away from Mark to stand in front of Pope.

“No P’Pope, please don’t! I’m here, don’t do anything to him.”

Pope’s glared at Mark, “Don’t let me see your face again.” He grabbed Mint’s wrist and dragged her back to the house.

Pope stood outside Mint’s door, listening to her cry. He was steaming with rage. Not only had Rassa been able to free Mark, she had sent that bastard to mess with him. Even though the thought of Mark trying to do anything to interfere with Pope was laughable, it still pissed him off. And now Mint was angrier than ever at Pope. Someone was going to have to pay.

-------------
It was a few days since their last conversation outside. And strangely, Nadech noticed that he’d seen even less of Yaya than expected. He called her phone.

Yaya caught her breath as the id on her phone indicated who was calling. She waited until the call ended then listened to the voicemail.

“Yaya, I know you have break right now. If you don’t call back, I’m going to assume that you’ve been abducted and begin a search with the police and national guard.”

She speed-dialed him.

“Hello?”

“I’m not abducted!”

He choked back a chuckle, appreciating her gullibility. “Well I’d rather be safe than sorry.” She grimaced hearing the amusement in his voice. Obviously he had been joking.

“I’m picking you up when you’re done.”

“Actually, I’m going to be here kind of late. Nee has a dinner party and asked me to help her prepare for it.” Nee didn’t eat breakfast, and usually ate at work, so Yaya’s main job was dinner, along with feeding Bee on the weekends, so that she didn’t actually end up staying at Nee’s house all day. Therefore, she always welcomed the opportunity to be useful.

“How late?”

“We’re not sure yet.”

“Well then call me when you’re done. I should be home by eight.”

“I’m so thankful for your help Yaya. My friend fell ill so suddenly and we just couldn’t let our colleagues down with this meeting.”

“Don’t worry, just let me handle it,” Yaya said to Nee. She was supposed to be cooking a lavish dinner but throughout the day, Yaya came to hold more and more responsibilities, from cleaning to decorating. But Nee was such a generous person that Yaya couldn’t help wanting to do everything to be of assistance.

While everything was getting ready, Yaya took a short break to go up to Bee’s room. “Hey buddy, you’re not too bored are you?”

“No way, I’m reading this cool race car book!” A seven year old was seldom bored, so when he had been instructed not to leave his room until the dinner meeting was over, Bee obeyed. Yaya tussled Bee’s already messy black hair and got down by his chair.

“Since you’re being such a good boy, I brought you a snack until your dinner is here later.”

“Wow!” Bee’s eyes widened at the giant cupcake. He immediately began wolfing it down. “Thank you so much Yaya. You know just what I CRAVE for. That’s a new word I learned today. But I’m not pregnant,” he added seriously.

“Why would you think that?”

“In class, Yai said only pregnant women CRAVE for things. Is he right, Yaya?”

She laughed. “No. Everybody has cravings. And it doesn’t just have to be food either. It can be a craving for feelings, or other things too.”

“Ooooh, I knew I was smarter than Yai.” She waited for him to finish so she could take the plate down. “Yaya, I have another craving.”

“What is it?”

“I crave for mommy to be with me.”

This was obvious to Yaya, but she knew Nee was a busy woman who just wanted good things for her son. “Well, you know that she loves you very much and is always trying her best to spend time with you right?”

He nodded.

“Then next time you feel lonely, just think of how wonderful it is that she is here in your heart and that she is always thinking about you. And if you want, I can always spend time with you too. Deal?”

“Yeah!” They pinky promised and she returned to work.

Guests had arrived, the dinner carried on smoothly, and much to Nee’s dissatisfaction, Yaya had actually carried through with her word. Even her guests complimented the setting and food, when Nee had expected Yaya’s inexperience to cause setbacks which she would have swept in to fix as the gracious host. She had even invited Om over, using business as an excuse, but there was no denying that he had just as much appreciation for Yaya’s efforts as everyone else. Then again, not everyone in the world was agreeable.

“Nee dear, thank you for the invite. But I just had to say, the flowers were a little…tacky.”

“Pita, thank you for joining me. I know, it was the work of my new cook and I just couldn’t hurt her feelings, so I allowed her to decorate.”

“Oh,” Pita was a woman of high class and superior attitude, “You mean that girl you were telling me about? The one Mrs. Theerada adopted?” It was clear that she thought very low of ‘that girl’.

Nee nodded, while smiling at Pita’s younger sister, Mai.

“Who is she, Nee?” Mai asked. “I thought the food was delicious. I’d love to meet her.”

“Hmph, why don’t we pay her a visit and put her in her place? I saw the way Om looked when the girl passed by the door,” Pita shook her head. “I’ll look out for you Nee, darling.”

“Wait, what are you going to do?” Mai asked in concern, knowing her sister could be vicious.

Yaya looked up when the kitchen door swung open and in walked two dolled-up ladies, one with a decidedly unpleasant attitude.

“So, how did you meet Mrs. Theerada?” the older one asked.

“P’Ta,” Mai hissed, “What are you doing? Sorry,” she smiled at Yaya, “we’re guests here. By the way, I think your—“

“Well, don’t you know that it’s rude to keep people waiting? How did you meet her?” Pita interrupted with impatience.

Taken aback by this, Yaya replied slowly, “I’m…friends with her son.”

Pita swept a skeptical look down at her. Sure, Yaya was a looker, but she was barely what would be considered a grown beautiful woman in Pita’s opinion. “How is it possible that a girl like you became acquainted with either Om or Nadech?”

For reasons not apparent to strangers, Yaya would rather avoid talk of her past. “Circumstances.” She continued cleaning the counters.

“Well wouldn’t everyone want to be in your circumstances?”

“I don’t think so. My parents died and my relatives disowned me,” Yaya said.

Mai gasped quietly at such a tragic fate. Her sister however, had no sympathy. Pita crossed her arms, her gold watch and bracelet glinting.

“So you decided to accept some charity. I’m just warning you not to hope for anything more. Keep in mind that you should know your place.”

“P’Ta,” Mai reprimanded in shock. “Stop it. Let’s go.” She glanced apologetically at Yaya, tugging Pita away.

Yaya sighed, but even that was interrupted again when the kitchen was breached once more. “Om,” she smiled in relief that there was a kind face. “I didn’t know you were here too.”

“Nee said you did a lot of work for tonight. Everything was splendid. Do you have anything I can help with?”

She looked at his impeccable black suit. “No, I don’t think so…”

He laughed. “Don’t judge too quickly. I have as much elbow grease as anyone else. You want me to sweep? Mop? Scrub the dishes?”

She giggled. “No, the others will take care of that. I’ll just wait until everyone is gone and help them out.”

“I’ll wait for you and we’ll go home together.”

“No, it’s fine,” she said, “I don’t want to keep you here too late.”

“Hmmm, I think you’ve worked hard enough tonight. And it’s past your usual shift hours already. I’ll tell Nee that you’re going home now.”

“Wait—“

But he’d already left.

As Nee watched the two leave, she crumpled a bouquet of flowers until they were unrecognizable. Never had she felt threatened like this before. She was thankful when everyone was gone and threw herself on her bed.

“Mommy? Can you read me a story tonight too? I was quiet for the whole time that the guests were over,” Bee asked after coming in.

Nee was in no mood. “Go to bed. Aren’t you old enough to sleep without people there with you? Go now.”

Startled by her angry voice, Bee ran down the hall to his room and buried himself in his bed under his blue rocket blanket, crying softly.

-------------
Nadech tapped the arm of his chair distractedly, then looked down at his watch. It was late now. Why hadn’t Yaya called? Maybe he should just head over there.

He was just outside in the driveway when Om’s car pulled in. Om and Yaya got out, talking and laughing, but he couldn’t hear what it was about. He saw Yaya’s face grow solemn as she realized he was there.

“Is mom asleep?” Om asked Nadech.

“Yes. Yaya, I wanted to see you about something.”

“It’s pretty late,” Om noted, “shouldn’t you both go to bed?”

“This won’t take long,” Nadech simply said.

He handed her a mug of tea before they retreated to their corner in the yard.

“How did the dinner go?”

“Great! There weren’t any problems at all.” She peeked at him from the corner of her eyes. He spoke normally, but she sensed something was troubling him.

“So you really like cooking at P’Nee’s house?”

“It’s easier and better now. And Bee is the most precious child I’ve ever met. Whenever Nee is busy, I get to play with him!” She clasped her hands in a gesture so reminiscent of youth that Nadech couldn’t help the twitching of his lips forming a smile.

“Well he must be a real charmer, seeing as you hardly wait for breakfast before leaving for work now. You’re not becoming a workaholic so you can save up and leave us, are you?” He laughed.

Yaya silently followed him. Ever since ‘something’ had almost happened, again, she felt like she couldn’t trust herself around Nadech. This was not part of her resolution when she decided to stay with the Theeradas. She knew she had feelings for Nadech, but she in no way wanted to act on them. And especially not after the call to reality from Miss Pita. Of course, that was easier said than done when his eyes and laughter and gentleness were so hard to resist.

“One day I will leave this place and its miraculous warmth. I want to go out into the world worthy of everything you’ve given me.”

“So you still don’t truly consider this a home?” His mouth tightened grimly with disappointment.

“It’s not that,” Yaya frowned. “But I’ve had to leave even the home I was born and raised in. There’s no guarantee that I will remain rooted here forever either. That would be too greedy.”

“Then it would also be greedy of me to do whatever it takes to keep you here.”

Yaya swallowed hard, not daring to look up. She distracted herself by taking a sip, yet, her disobedient eyes wandered over the rim of the cup and found Nadech looking at her in the same way that caused her stomach to twist.

“How come you didn’t call?”

“Om was there and, you know, since we were both about to come home, it just made sense to come back with him.”

He trailed his hand on the row of bushes in the yard. “Next time, let me know too, okay? I was getting worried.”

“Um, about that. I’ve been thinking lately. It would be more convenient for everyone…and since I’m already working there, I thought it’d be a good idea if—“

“No,” he shook his head firmly.

“But I didn’t get to—“

“I know what you’re about to suggest, and I don’t approve,” he said, his expression like when he was serious about his decision and not about to change his mind. But Yaya persisted.

“But think about it. I’m part of Nee’s household staff. It would be better if I lived with her.”

“Better than what?”

Yaya paused, not having expected this question. “Better than…” Than being reminded that it wasn’t her place to want anything from Nadech.

“You do realize that aside from me, Mother wouldn’t want you to go either? What’s gotten into you?” Nadech sighed. “These thoughts, these ideas of you leaving, they mean you don’t respect me, or P’Om or mom.”

“It has nothing to do with that. I just don’t want…”

“What don’t you want?” He feared the answer as her eyes met his.

“I don’t want to get used to you any more than I am.” Yaya walked past a stunned Nadech, who recovered fast enough to catch up to her.

Impeding her, Nadech asked fiercely, “What’s that mean?”

“Nothing. I’m—I’m tired. I’d like to be excused now.” She hurried past him, not answering his calls.

Nadech continued to soak up the silvery moonshine that seemed to make him glow with discontent at how he had failed to understand why everything about Yaya made him so restless. Even seeing her come home with Om had made him momentarily unhappy.
He was a grown man; yet why was that little woman fast conquering all of his daily thoughts.

Was he right? Was she disregarding the generosity and care she’d received from everyone in this house, all for her own selfish desire to not be hurt from her own feelings? Because they existed more clearly than ever. She knew it herself, Yaya didn’t have any excuses. Waking up, her first thoughts traveled to the man who had become entangled in her life at the moment death had looked in. And falling asleep was always accompanied by the yearning of a tomorrow with Nadech.

“After the luck bestowed to me by coming here, this must be my burden. I can’t run away from it.”

Yaya decided to apologize to Nadech the next morning. But he had left early, so that she went to work disheartened.

In the afternoon, her attention turned to a commotion.

“What should we do?”

“Call Nee right away!”

“What’s going on?” Yaya asked.

Nee’s driver answered, “I went to pick Bee up at school like usual but he was nowhere to be found. The teachers said he was in class, but they haven’t seen him since school was dismissed. Nee said that she will come home as soon as possible, and not to call the police. She thinks we’ll be able to find him soon.”

Yaya paced the room, heart skipping with worry for the little boy who had become her precious friend and always adorably accompanied her in the kitchen. If he was lost, people might harm him.

Yaya told the others, “I’m going out to look for him too. We’ll split up.”

“She did what?!” Mother exclaimed.

Nadech anxiously got up. “I’m going to look for both of them.”

“Calm down,” Om advised, “Running around looking for each other isn’t a good idea.”

“I’ll be fine. It’s Bee and Yaya who might get in trouble. She doesn’t know all of the town’s places, if she gets lost too, it’ll be even worse.”

“Fine, but I’m going with you.”

They stopped at Nee’s house first. As soon as she saw Om, Nee burst into tears.

“I don’t know where he could have gone.”

Nadech thought she would need to be comforted, so she suggested for Om to stay here and help in case they heard any news, and he would go out to search.

Yaya was trying to think of places that a young boy would go. Where had she heard of an amusement park before? But surely it was near closing time. She asked around and found directions, arriving at the small park that indeed had a thin crowd. Suddenly, her eye caught a bright blue and yellow structure—the fun house with mirrors. She recognized it from a drawing in Bee’s room.

Searching through the house, she peered into a room and impossibly, there was Bee curled on the ground. “Bee!”

“Yaya!” he rubbed away his tears and ran into her arms.

“Why are you here? Everyone has been so worried! Are you okay?” She wiped his face clean.

“M-hm. I didn’t mean to be naughty. I was just sad because mommy was angry with me. Will she be even madder now? I meant to come home fast, but then…” he looked down, embarrassed, “the sun was going down and I was scared.”

“Your mom won’t be mad. She’s misses you very much. Don’t be afraid, I’m here now. Why did you come here alone?” Miraculously, he wasn’t hurt. She hugged him and carried him outside.

“It’s been a long time since I got to come here. I didn’t have any money for the rides, but the mirror funhouse is free. I like sitting in the big one that has all the glass because it looks like there are lots of me around, so I’m not lonely. Yaya?”

“Yes?”

“I’m hungry.”

No one was selling food this late in the park, and she didn’t want to keep the others waiting. “As soon as we get home, I’ll make you whatever you want, okay? Can you wait just a liiitle longer?”

“Mm!”

It finally occurred to Yaya that she should inform everyone she’d found Bee. Taking out her phone, she saw that she’d missed over twenty calls.

After everyone had settled down, Yaya fulfilled her promise and fixed a full banquet all for the little guy.

“Thank goodness you’re both okay,” Mother sighed.

“I’m sorry for worrying everyone. I was just scared something would happen to Bee.”

“Yaya, I’ll never be able to thank you enough,” Nee said.

“I’m just glad he’s back now.” She watched Nee hug her son as he happily ate his dinner.

-------------
“He was so distressed over her too,” Mother commented, as Nadech and Yaya appeared through the window outside.

Om was becoming more and more sure that Nadech thought more of Yaya than his previous claims. “He’s become very attached to her, it seems.”

“It’s not surprising.” She approved of the two of them.

“I just hope he knows what he’s doing,” Om continued on to his room.

Like déjà vu, they were back in the yard again. Yaya timidly looked up from her perch on the wooden bench as Nadech sighed and stood beside her. “What you did was too rash.”

“But I couldn’t help it,” she explained earnestly.

“I know. But you really shouldn’t have acted without informing us first. What if you had gotten lost too?” Nadech had driven at a dangerous speed to Nee’s house when she called to tell him she was taking Bee back in a taxi.

“But…I didn’t?” She caught his narrowed eyes and lowered her head.

“Looks like I’ll have to keep an even tighter eye on you. Just because you saved my life, doesn’t mean you get to take away a few years now and then by worrying me.”

“I’m sorry.”

“Can you stop being sorry for things that aren’t your fault? You’re not just some random person. You’re part of our family.” She met his eyes in surprise, as he had read between her lines again. She was apologizing for something else. He knew simply by looking at her, that she was sorry again for being extra baggage, and feeling like a burden again, and it drove him crazy.

He sighed again. “I don’t want you to hold on to these thoughts that you are obligated to leave, or that this is a temporary stop in your life. You belong with all of us here. You said you didn't want to get too used to me; well, I won't give you a choice. And if being a friend doesn’t give you enough of a sense of belonging, then we’ll just have to change our relationship.” She tried to hide her trembling hand by forming a fist, but he continued, knocking the breath out of her with his next words, “Remember when you told me about soulmates? Since we haven’t found either of ours yet, let’s be soulmates.”

-------------
@Dal, don't diiiie! lol

@ukepearl, SEA was sa-weeet! I honestly...didn't want to come back. :eyetwitch: Just hook me up to some reliable internet and I woulda started my life there as an illegal resident lol tho I would have been able to blend in perfectly. Thanks! Oh! And-- you keep writing and I'll do the same, deal???!

@kiki, Missed ya! I appreciate the love sooo much *hug!* Thanks for the uber warm posts, makes me always want to strongly keep up my writing for sure!

@kenann fan, 555 So happy to hear from you! you all sure can make a girl smile! I missed you too lol Thanks for reading

jjinxx

It's FRIDAY jjinxxy! Thanks for updating on a GRGR day. hehe
Reading on the phone na... I am out. I am trying not to look silly......

k, will read again later ja. LOVE the "let's be soulmates" part na.

xoxoxo

ukepearl

sarNie Hatchling
OMAGAADDD soulmates?? SAY YES SAY YES!!!!! :D
deal ja!! :) hehehe , will be writing as soon as i can..
im glad you had fun!! come back again! :) purposely to try stalk nadech >:D hahaha jk
thank you for writing! can't wait for more
xx

Vimalee

Live Love Laugh
Awww jjinxxy, you have some of the most sweetest lines in this fan fic.

"Don't worry, if that person doesn't come to you, I'll walk with you back to the stars"

"Remember when you told me about soulmates? Since we haven't found either of ours yet, let's be soulmates."

:thanks: dear, we really appreciate your time and effort and good luck with your school na!

shengvang

sarNie Adult
This is such a good update! And like everyone, I also love the line, lets be soulmates! nadech is taking a small step by step into opening his heart and feeling to yaya. I love it!

Thank you so much for an absolutely great update. I so cannot wait for her answer!!! And good luck with school na ja.

chubbycheeks

imma kick ur-ass-aya !
I'm finally caught up now. Awhh at the last scene! So cute! I'm really enjoying this 3rd story of Yadech na Jjinxx! Thank you!

Dal

***LOVE, LOVE YADECH***
I am all tingly inside from this story. Breathless...

Thank you, Jjinxxy!!! I hope you're doing well, hon. I miss you!

ukepearl

sarNie Hatchling
hey jinxyy! i did as we agreed ;) newest chap of a little love.. is up!
your turn! hehe jk take your time gurl.. can't wait for the next part!

jjinxx

Chapter 12

What felt like a thousand years were actually several tongue-tied, heart-racing moments. “But,” she managed to stutter, “what about our real ones?”

It was on the tip of his tongue to dismiss the possibility of anyone else. He didn’t know what he should call it, but just as he had told Yaya before, there had to be some kind of divine intervention in the crossing of their paths. The stars reflected in her brown eyes that still hid herself from the world and its cruelty. As he had promised, if Nadech was not fated to be hers, he would hold her hand until she found her destination. “They seem to be running late. In the meantime, you and I, we need each other. That snake proved it.” The snake that never knew it had succeeded in tying their lives so tightly together. “So what do you say?” He extended a hand to her formally.

She unfurled her fingers and slid her hand into his.

Nadech smiled. “This makes us mutual prisoners to each other then. At least…until the others show up.” He stopped her from releasing her grip. “Promise me you’ll stay with me.”

There was a different kind of light in his eyes tonight, which she wouldn’t ever forget. If only he had rejected the thought of their other ‘real’ soulmates, Yaya would have believed then and there that he truly intended to keep her as his forever.

The next day, Nadech dropped Yaya at Nee’s house.

Yaya smiled at the scene of Nadech swinging Bee in his arms.

“Are you behaving at school?”

“Uh huh, just like I promised you, Uncle!”

Nadech continued, “What else did you promise me?”

“That I’ll never run away again,” Bee nodded. “Because my elders love and worry about me. Oh! Yaya, you have to promise too.”

“But I have no uncle to promise it with,” she said, wiping a smudge from his nose.

Bee pondered solemnly until Nadech whispered in his ear. “What’s that?” Bee asked. Nadech whispered again, and the little boy nodded in understanding, looking back up at Yaya. “Then you should promise to your soulmate.”

She froze, catching Nadech’s twinkling eyes.

Bee leaped from his chair. “I’m gonna go get us something to eat!”

Nadech leaned against the desk behind him casually. “I hope you take Bee’s advice.”

She glanced at him reproachfully. “You’ve already made me promise that.” She grudgingly thought of her moment of defeat back when she had fallen from the balcony.

Nadech replied, “Ah, but that was then and this is now.”

“What’s the difference?”

“We weren’t soulmates then.”

“I…I still don’t think it’s necessary.” She crossed her arms. “If I have to promise twice, you have to promise something to me too.”

“Okay, what would you like?”

Not having been prepared, Yaya was momentarily stumped. What could she ask of him? It was then that she remembered Mark telling her about his conversation with Nadech when he came. She chewed on her lip before turning back to Nadech with determination. “Promise that you’ll never be my brother.”

She didn’t care if it sounded weird, or that she was setting herself up for something hopeless, because nothing could be more hopeless than becoming his sister.

Nadech felt his heart against his chest as the young woman before him slowly and unknowingly continued the spell she had cast into him ever since their first meeting. “I promise.”

Yaya was spared getting lost in his eyes by Bee’s re-entrance, bearing a platter of sweets.

“Yaya, can you read me a story before you go home? Mama seems too busy to.”

-------------
“Whoa, not so fast.”

“We’re going to be late for work.”

“We’re not going today.” Ever since their pact, Nadech had implemented a carpooling system, making sure that Yaya was dropped off and picked up with him every day. He explained, “You’re going to help me bake a cake.”

“For…?”

“My dad’s birthday.”

Yaya saw a hint of sadness in his eyes that was overshadowed by the brighter light of happiness for all the memories of his father he had. She nodded.

Yaya pressed her lips together but in the end, could not hold in her laughter. Barely five minutes in the kitchen, Nadech had opened a bag of flour, which had puffed out at him so that his face was powdered white.

He pouted at her, “A little help?”

“I thought you were asking to bake with cake mix.”

“No way, we’re making from scratch today,” he wiped his face with a towel while she laid out more ingredients and tools for them.

“Okay, let’s measure out the dry ingredients.” She talked him through the steps of measuring and mixing everything.

After the cake was in the oven for a few minutes, she began to cut up some fruits while supervising him mixing a frosting.

“I had no idea you could MAKE frosting too,” he swiped a taste with his finger.

“Did you think it just grew on the cake?”

He smiled sheepishly, telling her that actually was what he thought.

“You’ve never made a cake before?” It wasn’t as surprising as the fact that she could actually do something he couldn’t. Nadech eyed her smug smile with amusement, loving her confident movements and the loose lock of hair that framed her profile. She caught him admiring her, and lowered her eyes, feeling her cheeks color. Then Yaya hissed in pain, the knife sliding across her skin.

“Yaya,” Nadech rounded the table to get to her. He frowned, holding her hand. “You’re so clumsy.”

“I’m not,” she denied.

“I’m not…” he gently mimicked, making her frown, but she let him rinse off the cut.

“That’s the first time I’ve ever cut myself in the kitchen,” she told him with pride. “I’ve never done it before.”

“Before what?”

Before he was there to distract her. To avoid the question, she shrugged and felt her shoulders brush against him. “Um, so do guys celebrate your father’s birthday every year, even though he isn’t…here anymore?”

“M-hm. It’s mom’s favorite day of the year. She says without this day, she never would have found so much happiness in her life.”

Yaya smiled at the romance of it and noticed he had kept his arms around her, and she wished more than ever that she could stay in his arms like this. As she shyly faced away from him and her eyes fell on the spot on his arm where that snake had bitten him, she remembered so clearly the sight of him leaning into the pond, clutching the lethal creature. Then as mere strangers, he’d barged in to rescue her again.

“What would my life be like without the day you were born, Nadech?”

This close, he could not resist laying the shadow of a kiss on her hair. “I’ll never let you find out.” He closed his eyes as her gentle scent made his senses tingle. Their bodies gravitated closer and Yaya pleasantly laid her head on his chest, not feeling any of her unworthiness at the moment, simply absorbing his warmth.

Too soon, she was forced to remind them that they were on duty. “Our cake is calling.”

Nadech reluctantly let her pull back. “Smells nice.”

She tucked a strand of hair behind her ear, feeling that the kitchen had grown stuffy suddenly. Together, they frosted and decorated the cake. Mother was mighty pleased when she saw it.

“Since you’ve done this much already, I’m not letting you work today,” she said to Yaya. “I’ve already bought food for everyone. We’re going to the cabin for the day. I’ve invited Nee too, she will join us later.”

“Ah! Good ole cabin,” Nadech stretched his arms. After arriving in the woods, Mother had left the two of them to walk around and have time for her own reminiscences.

“Is Om not coming here?”

“He’ll be here in a bit.” Nadech looked around, then slyly nudged her. “Let’s play something.”

She looked at him with suspicion. “Play? What are you, twenty-eight? Aren’t you a little too old for that?” she teased.

Mouth dropping open in offense, he replied, “Okay, now you HAVE to play whatever I want. Here,” he held out his hand, “follow the leader.”

“How does this work exactly?” she asked. “I just follow you?”

“Oh, there’s a rule. The person following has to close her eyes. It’s a game of trust.” He scooped up her hand without hesitation. “Close your eyes.”

She obeyed, felt his forward tug, and didn’t feel the slightest urge to peek. She didn’t wonder where he was leading her, whether it was into a tree or off the edge of earth. On and on, they walked together. Nadech only took his eyes off of her to make sure their path was clear. He grew mesmerized at her smooth face that never wavered, eyes that never peeked, completely leaving her safety in his hands.

She felt him open up her hand, the gentle pressure of his thumb on her palm made her want to curl her fingers and not let go of him.

“What is it?” She composed herself. “Trying to read my fortune?”

His lips quirked. “Yeah. Let’s see…Your life line is long…there’s a break here, for sadness,” he stole a look at her, “but here is a smooth uninterrupted line that says you’ll endure without fail. And this…” he puckered his brow, “is an interesting curve, probably the result of your clumsiness again.”

She giggled. “I got that when I was two,” she knew he must have seen the very slight scar on her hand. “I climbed onto the counter and slipped. A glass fell and I cut my hand but even scarier was that I stopped breathing when I fell.”

“Wait, what? What happened?”

“They don’t know. I was told that I was blue before they finally got me breathing again. It wasn’t from the fall, I don’t have any known health condition, and it hasn’t recurred ever. It was just a really weird experience.”

“Strange.”

What she didn’t tell him was the time of this near-death experience. Mother’s voice resounded in her head, recounting Nadech’s accident eighteen years ago. Strange indeed.

Nadech had tightened his grip on her hand, then finally, he came to a stop. Yaya simply stood still waiting for further instruction. The wind lovingly teased her hair. She was so vulnerable and completely trusting of him; she was so strong and had not let her suffering defeat her; everything about her at that moment took his breath away, and right there, he swore to himself no one would ever be able to draw him away from the side of this young woman who had shared life and death with him. Nadech took one step forward and kissed her cheek. Only then did Yaya open her eyes in awe. She looked at him once, his eyes exactly the same as the night they’d made their pact, and the thrill of seeing the feelings he had for her was almost too overwhelming, so that she ran back towards the cabin, her pace matching the speed of her beating heart.

Nadech smiled, quite pleased with himself, before going after her.

Stopping to catch her breath, Yaya fought against floating away from earth. Nadech had kissed her. Oh, if this was a dream, let her never wake up.

Suddenly, his arms slid around her from behind. She wasn’t sure if she was ready to confront him, but then, a strange feeling stirred in her, and Yaya was even more surprised to hear, not Nadech’s voice, but Om’s.

“Araya?”

Yaya whirled around in confusion. “What…Om? What are you doing?”

“It’s you,” he hugged her tightly, “Why did you leave me?”

“I’m Yaya,” she pushed away, “Om, don’t you remember?”

He looked at her clearly as if only just realizing the truth. Then, he swayed on the spot, stepping away from her. “…Where did she go?”

“Om!” Yaya hurried to his side when he stumbled and fell back. “What’s wrong? Are you okay?”

Someone pushed her away. “Om!” Nee held him with concern. “Are you alright?!”

“What’s going on?” Nadech arrived on the scene. “P’Om? What happened?”

“I saw him and Yaya…” Nee frowned deeply as she looked at Yaya, who wasn’t sure what to do, “I don’t know why but he just fell all of a sudden.”

“I’m…I’m fine,” he shook his head and slowly stood, gaining his balance. “I was just...thinking too much. I’m okay now. Yaya,” he looked her apologetically, “I’m sorry if I startled you. I didn’t mean to do that.”

“It’s okay. Are you sure you’re feeling okay? We should—“

“I’ll help you inside,” Nee said.

“Dear, you’ve been working too hard. I feel like I hardly see you relax,” Mother said to Om as he sat back in a chair.

“It’s nothing mom. I’ll take things more slowly. Sorry for the commotion, can we begin now?”

“Look at this gorgeous cake that Yaya and Nadech made.” Mother smiled dreamily. “Your father would have loved it. He always liked cake.”

Watching the three of them talking about their lost one made Yaya miss her parents too. A heavy cloud rained over her heart, but the threat of tears halted when she felt her hand wrapped in Nadech’s fingers. He continued to laugh and smile with Mother and Om, but she knew he was thinking of her too, so that Yaya’s loneliness receded and she joined them in singing the birthday song and silently thanked Mr. Theerada for the wonderful family he had created.

-------------
Reaching her house that evening, Nee was experiencing a racing heart that was unsimilar to Yaya’s. She fell upon her bed, filled with a vicious anguish from the sight of Om hugging Yaya—HER Om, whom she’d harbored secret feelings for even while her husband was still alive. She had kept her passion for her dead husband’s cousin hidden, until the right moment when she felt everyone would be able to accept her being with him. But there was no way for her to keep acting if some girl from nowhere suddenly snagged him from her clutches.

Fist clenched, Nee counted to ten before turning answering to her son calling for her.

“Mommy, can I have some milk and the cookies that Yaya baked?”

“No snacks this late, okay honey? I’ll read you a story instead. How bout that?”
After her son was asleep, Nee entered the kitchen and threw the cookies away. She detested the thought of Yaya being close to the man she loved. There was no way she was going to let that girl come into their lives after all the work Nee had been doing to make Om forget his dead fiancee.

-------------
Hey all! Anyone listening to Palmy or Paradox? I'm currently in love with those two. *sigh* I dunno, but I feel like this is almost a filler chapter. My method of writing is usually to write waaay in advance but lately it's been write-post-write-post and I'm paranoid I'll make a mistake in the story. Anywho, hope you enjoy reading! Keep warm na! MISS YOU AND THANK YOU FOR THE COMMENTS!
@ukepearl, 555 here it is! Thanks dear!

jjinxx

shengvang

sarNie Adult
Awwww nadech kissed yaya. I was so not ready to see that coming. And OMG, jjinxx you totally trick me into thinking nadech was the one that wrap his arm around yaya. Screaming my lung out during that part! Lol.. I love that way nadech explain himself. Seems to me like he knew for sure yaya was gonna say yes.

The baking cake scene melted my heart. Nadech cares so much about yaya. This is such a good update, besides the fact that now we know, nee is jealous of yaya. I hope she doesn't do anything mean to yaya and I hope she knows that nadech like or should I say "LOVE" yaya! Lol...

Thank you so much for the update! I can't wait for the next chapter. It is getting so good. Update soon na ja.

ukepearl

sarNie Hatchling
Great update jinxxy! Poor om! Nee better not do anything bad to yaya! And nadech he's so sweet! :) ahh this story makes me smilee :) thanks jinx!

Vimalee

Live Love Laugh
jjinxxy dear, you have been so good to us na. You still come here to give us another great update even though you have school.

Take care and thanks again!

jjinxx

Chapter 13

Yaya absentmindedly hummed to herself, her smile permanently attached as she thought of Nadech’s kiss. Nee had returned from work and said she already ate with coworkers , so Yaya was free and she was helping the maid sort through some old belongings that Nee wanted to separate and throw out.

Picking up a small photo, Yaya looked at it curiously. “Is this a friend of Nee’s?”

“Let’s see,” the maid made a face, “I’m not sure…”

“Yaya…” Nee’s footsteps slowed seeing the photo. Then she snatched it away from Yaya. “That’s…that shouldn’t be there. Enough for today, you should get ready to go home. Excuse me.” She hurried up the stairs before Yaya could say good bye.

-------------
“Yaya…!” Nadech called for her. He found her organizing the books in his small library. “Mom has something for you.”

“Oh, just a second.” She stacked up some volumes and tried to quickly push them together. He came over and caught her hand.

“Come on.”

Halfway to the living room, she only just realized they were holding hands. His kiss lingered on her skin, and she tugged her hand away nervously. He looked at her in surprise and took her hand again. She stopped and pulled away again.

Breathing a short laugh, he asked, “What’s the matter?”

Her mouth formed words that didn’t quite work as excuses. “…W-well, I know where the living room is.”

“Yes I know.” He took her hand again. “Why, are you scared of me now or something?”

“Yes,” she said and escaped quickly. He knew she had said it simply for the sake of not knowing how Mother would react seeing them like that. Yaya herself wasn’t sure if she was used to Nadech’s touch after the day before yesterday. It still seemed like a dream and he hadn’t explained what he’d meant by kissing her either.

“What did you want to show me Mother?” Yaya seated next to her, and was followed by Nadech.

“I have a gift for you. What do you think?” She opened three jewelry boxes that encased glittering gemmed necklaces of diamonds, rubies and gold.

“They’re breath-taking.”

“Good. Then they’re all yours.”

Stunned, Yaya immediately objected.

“No, I refuse to take them back,” Mother said.

“But it would be a waste. Really, I’ve not opportunity to wear something like this. I really do appreciate your thought Mother, but I don’t think this is such a good idea.”

“Excuse us.”

They found a woman the same age as Mother in their midst, along with a younger woman, whom Yaya was able to recognize as the obtrusive lady at Nee’s dinner party. She snobbishly sat down on Nadech’s other side, looking at Yaya with dislike.

“Yaya, this is Mrs. Angsawn, a friend of mine. Pitta is her niece.”

“Nice to meet you.”

“The pleasure is mine dear, I’ve heard much about you. I was in the neighborhood and couldn’t resist dropping by. How are you?” Mrs. Angsawn asked Mother.

“I couldn’t be better. I was just trying to convince Yaya to accept my gift.”

“Isn’t that the necklace you wore to Siriann’s wedding?”

“Yes, it’s one of my favorites. Don’t you think it would match Yaya?”

Mrs. Angsawn nodded. “My, she has a wonderful complexion. Try it on dear.”
Yaya yielded.

“I’ll help,” Nadech volunteered and fastened the ruby necklace on her.

“Perfect,” Mother sighed with satisfaction, both at the scene of her son with Yaya, and at Yaya’s resulting image in the necklace.

“Mother, I really can’t accept these,” Yaya urged apprehensively. She’d never possessed things of such value before.

“Nonsense,” Mrs. Angsawn said, “You’ll hurt her feelings. Yaya, it’s not good manners to refuse elders’ gifts.”

Nadech agreed and said, “She’s right. It looks nice on you,” making Yaya smiled shyly.

Pitta was of a different opinion. “The necklace is beautiful but unfortunately, you have to born to wear such a work of art. I’m afraid someone with Yaya’s breeding can only look mediocre in it, not a hundred times more beautiful like I might. But, uh, it doesn’t look too bad. No offense honey,” she gave a sweet shrug.

Yaya’s lips formed a little smile. “You’re absolutely right. We must show everyone the difference.”

Before anyone could say anything, Yaya picked up the diamond necklace and fixed it on Pitta’s neck.

“So? Does it look pretty?” Pitta asked them smugly.

Yaya answered, “You were right. You look so much more beautiful in it than I could hope for. In fact, none of these are suitable for me. I suit the plain things that are threaded by hand with beads and stones, the kinds of stones that are on the road which people like you aren’t greedy for or pay for in order to deceive others into thinking you’re a hundred times more beautiful than you really are. I’m sure you’ll find these jewels useful, since unfortunately, you weren’t born a work of art yourself.”

She took off the ruby necklace and laid it in its case before leaving for her room.
How dare anyone insult her “breeding.” To Yaya, her parents were the most beautiful people in her life, and she would not sit still while anyone degraded them, whether directly or not. Yaya had barely calmed down when Nadech came in without knocking.

“Yaya, I want you to go downstairs and apologize to Pitta.”

Having expected anything but this, Yaya was dumbfounded. “But why?”

“Now.”

“Didn’t you hear what she said?”

“I did,” he crossed his arms.

“Then how…how can you tell me to apologize?”

“I don’t like what she said, but that doesn’t mean you were right to insult her back. Besides, you shouldn’t be talking to Mother’s guests like that.”

“So you wanted me to stay silent while I was being insulted to my face?”

“I want you to pick your battles. Pitta is egotistical, but she can’t do anything to you. I didn’t think it’d be so easy for someone like her to get to you.”

Yaya was almost too appalled to argue. Anyone would have agreed she had the right to defend herself. “Excuse my lack of judgment but I haven’t done anything wrong. She should not be allowed to say such things to people. It’s not something an adult should do.”

He calmly replied, “If you believe you’re a mature woman, you’ll do as I said and show her how an adult should act.”

Too angry, Yaya turned her back on him. Surprised that she was disobeying, Nadech marched over to stand in front of her. “Yaya,” he used a warning tone.

Still, she didn’t back down, casting him a cutting look.

“I’m sure I’m not the only one displeased. Mom—“

“For someone who’s a grown man, you sure use Mother as an excuse a lot.”

He paused, then narrowed his eyes down at her stubborn face. “Oh? So you want me prove how much of a man I am?”

Suddenly, the tense atmosphere became charged with electricity, as Yaya’s heart started pounding hard in response to the devilish spark in his eyes.

“What do you mean?” she found herself backing away while he slowly traced her steps.

“Well I have to protect my reputation.” He loosened the button at the top of his shirt.

“I didn’t-didn’t mean…” She lost her balance at the foot of the bed; her hands reached for something to stay steady, which turned out to be Nadech’s shirt and they both ended up hitting the mattress. Opening her eyes, she found him a mere hand’s breadth away.

“Are you okay?”

The tenderness in his eyes had her at a loss for words, so she simply nodded.

“Good. And now, brace yourself my little lady.”

Kat was passing down the hall when she heard a high yelp and loud voices from Yaya’s room. Getting closer, she could hear more distinctly, “Stop Nadech!” Kat’s jaw dropped. What was Mister Nadech doing in her Miss Yaya’s room that would make her shout like that? She was just about to find out when…

“Ack! Nadech!” Yaya laughed, “Stop tickling me!” She was overcome with uncontrollable hysteria from the giddiness induced by tickles.

Kat sighed with relief and embarrassment at her own silly thoughts, and went on her way.

“Not until you give in!”

“Okay, okay!” She gasped breathlessly when he finally laughingly gave her mercy. She sat up, “That wasn’t fair.”

“Life isn’t fair.” He caught himself and turned to her seriously, “I’m sorry.” How could he say that to her so insensitively when Yaya had experienced more injustice than many could bear.

“Hm?” She asked, not understanding what he meant.

“Nevermind…” She was about to get to her feet but he held on to her elbow so she turned back. “Are you upset with me?”

Yaya pursed her lips before reluctantly shaking her head with a smile. “Honestly, I understand where you were coming from.”

He sighed inaudibly. He hadn’t liked the way Pitta spoke to Yaya at all, but he would much rather she learned to deal with something like this in a dignified matter, so she wouldn’t have to be hurt by their judgments. “Truthfully…I don’t think you were in the wrong, but I don’t want you to be affected by people who don’t appreciate you for who you are. You’ll meet plenty more people like that.”

“I know. And when I do, I won’t talk back to them with the same attitude…in front of you,” she said under her breath, but not quietly enough for him to not catch it so that she was earned a gently threatening glance from him. “So…do I still have to apologize?”

“Mm, it’s up to you. But…if you don’t, I’ll hold your hand the whole day.”

She bit back a smile, “What a horrible fate that would be.”

Back downstairs.

“Yaya, I’m so sorry about my niece’s behavior. I’ve already lectured her, but I’m afraid she’s always been stubborn. I hope you won’t begrudge my own apology,” Mrs. Angsawn said.

“Oh no, it was my fault. I’m sorry for my temper. Is Pitta still here? I’d like to apologize for losing patience.”

Mrs. Angsawn smiled, “You’re such a dear. She’s sulking in the car. Pitta is your senior by many years but she is much more temperamental, it’s not as lovely at all.”

Yaya caught Nadech’s eyes and accepted he was right after all—at least partially.

Yaya approached Pitta in the car and knocked on the window. The glass lowered. “What is it?” Pitta haughtily asked. “Keep it short, and I’ll have the heart to listen.”

She took a deep breath. “I’m very sorry you had to hear me speaking so rudely. I meant every word of it, but I’m sorry that I spoke it out loud and got in trouble. Have a nice day.” Yaya waved and walked back inside with a bounce to her step, having kept her word to Nadech without giving Pitta any of the satisfaction.

Back inside, she kneeled before Mother and gave a low wai for apology. “I hope you aren’t angry. I didn’t mean to offend your friends.”

To their surprise, Mother gave a jolly laugh. “Dear, if you hadn’t said something, I would have. Pitta’s parents spoil her so much. If you met their family, you’d think her younger sister was the elder, they have very different personalities. Mai is much more agreeable. I hope you can meet her soon because I think she’d be a good companion for you.”

“I think I’ve met her, at Nee’s house.”

“Well, in any case, these still belong to you.” Mother placed the jewelry boxes in her hands. “Don’t worry about a thing. I’m not angry and I want you to have them. But you were right in every sense that these little pieces can’t compare to the real person underneath them. I am proud that you know what it is to be beautiful on the inside more so than the outside.”

“Thank you so much.” She rested her head on Mothers shoulder gratefully.

“Don’t mention it. You are just like my daughter.” Mother sighed heavily. “I can’t help but think you’d also have Araya here as a friend if not for what happened. But that’s in the past now, I should let her sweet soul rest in peace.”

“What was she like?” Yaya asked.

“She was very lady-like and naïve. Everyone loved her. Have I shown you her picture?” Mother retrieved a photo album from a shelf nearby and opened it up to the middle. “There. On the engagement day.”

“Om looks so happy. She’s beautiful.” Yaya didn’t think she’d ever seen Om smile the way he did in the picture before. Taking a closer look, she mumbled, “She looks familiar…But where have I…” Then she remembered. “Ah! I found her picture at Nee’s house yesterday. They must have been close.”

Nadech and Mother exchanged glances. He said, “Not that I know of. I don’t think they met more than twice.”

“Oh,” Yaya found it strange. Nee had taken Araya’s photo away as if it was something she didn’t want anyone else to touch, so Yaya had assumed they were friends.

-------------
“How is Om? I didn’t talk to him today much but he looked exhausted,” Yaya mentioned.

“Om gets a bit depressed this time of the year.” Nadech explained more seeing her curious look,” It’s nearing Araya’s death anniversary.”

“Ah…”

The two were in the library later that evening, with a downcast night sky delivering rain. Yaya had snuggled in one of the couches while Nadech worked at his desk.

“Have you heard from…”

“From who?”

He was going to ask about Pope Surongtakul, but decided not to bring him up. “…from Mark?”

She nodded. “He’s working in a different province, and everything seems to be okay. Except, he told me that when he went to visit my cousin, Mint, P’Pope was very angry.” She sighed. “I miss Mint a lot, but after my failed calls, I think it’s obvious they don’t want me to talk to her. But there’s nothing to worry about because her parents love her a lot, even though she’s not Aunt’s real daughter.”

“She’s not?”

“No. My Aunt’s husband passed away when P’Pope was only…ten, I think, then she remarried a year later to Mint’s dad, whose first wife died when Mint was only a baby.” Just missing her cousin, who was her age and had grown up with her, could make Yaya almost wish to be back on her parents’ farm.

“Oh, I heard from someone else today too. Bee called to tell about his day at school, and then guess what he said to me?” Yaya giggled, “He said ‘Yaya, look outside, the stars are crying’. It’s funny because my mom used to describe it the same way too.”

“And why do the stars cry?”

“She said it’s because two soulmates got lost and can’t find each other.”

He looked up in thought, then sipped his coffee and stretched. “Can you hand me some of the fruit on the table?”

She brought over a plate and forked a strawberry for him. Nadech glanced at her then opened his mouth for her to feed him. “Ahhh…”

Amused by this, she purposely tricked him, pulling the fork away twice until he grew impatient and got up around the desk to her. Escaping, she weaved her away but he caught her waist, pulling her down beside him on the sofa. With a demanding look, he opened his mouth again and she timidly fed him. Nadech chewed leisurely, setting the fork down and in no hurry whatsoever.

She was completely in his grasp, closer than they’d ever been. “Nadech, let go…”

“Of?”

“…Me.” She said sternly.

He looked like he was really thinking of the pros and cons. “I’m tired,” he yawned and relinquished his arms, only to settle down with his head on her lap. “Let me borrow this for a bit.”

Unable to move, she planted her hands at her sides and peered down at his relaxed face. Time should just stop right here. The room fell silent. She thought he had dozed off but heard him say quietly. “Yaya?”

“…Yes?”

“I think the stars are crying because two soulmates are so close that they don’t know it.”

She stayed perfectly still, breathing shallowly. “That’s very sad.”

“Do you know what makes me sadder? The thought that we might be the cause of the stars’ tears…Yaya?”

“Yes?”

“I have a confession.” He rolled on his back so he could look up at her. “I don’t want someone else to come claim you as theirs. I don’t want to be free from our agreement ever. I don’t want to give up my place beside you to anyone.”

Did she dare respond? Yes, she dared to wish for happiness, for happiness with the man who had the biggest heart imaginable. No matter where this night led them, no matter how unpredictable life was, she wouldn’t resist her fate. “What would you think if I tell you that you don’t have to?”

Her words encouraged him to lift his hand to caress her face.

“But…” she continued seriously, “I can’t compare to others. I have nothing except scars.”

He looked into her round eyes. “Yaya, you are beautiful. It doesn’t matter what anyone says. You are the true work of art, and your scars do nothing but prove how rare you are, how pure you are, how strong you are. So don’t ever doubt yourself. Do you understand what I’m saying?”

“I…I think so.”

“I want you to know so.” Nadech rose, braced himself on one hand and placed the other beneath her chin. Yaya closed her eyes with a small intake of breath as he came within a millimeter of her lips. He smiled, seeing her waiting with an ounce of nervous tremble, and tilted his head to peck the corner of her lips, before touching his cheek to hers affectionately, so that he didn’t have to say it, but did anyway—
“You are precious to me.”

His lips pressed against her forehead felt like a blessing, so that Yaya realized that she would never be able to refuse anything Nadech gave her, whether it was happiness or pain, she would welcome her imprisonment to him just as she’d promised.

-------------
THANK YOU for reading and leaving encouraging comments and Thank you for having patience, I love hearing from everyone <333

jjinxx

shengvang

sarNie Adult
Awwwww I'm speechless!!! JJINXX you just made my day. I love this update! Both nadech and yaya are getting along so well and they are slowly opening there feeling to each other which I love so much. Yadech are definitely soulmate! And I especially love nadech's mom. She is such a sweetheart and love yaya for who she is.

I seriously can picture everything as I was reading. You're such a good writer jjinxx. Thanks for the update na ja!

Starstruck

sarNie Egg
Thanks so much for the update! Awwwwww......at the part he says the stars are crying because two soul mates were so close but didn't know it and then the confession that is making their relationship grow. Love Nadech's mom she is such a loving person and knows her rights and wrongs. I'm curious though on Nee's character......I feel something bad is going to happen.....keep it up jjinxy!

aaahhhh Jjinxxy! You are precious to me! : )

Thanks for such a sweet update na ka. Soooo Gooood! I am so happy to see them spend time together and getting to know that they are made for each other na. All butterflies in the belly now...... I can just see Nadech putting his head on Yaya's lap and telling her those words.

Big big hug na. Please update soon ka. :kiss:

jjinxx

Chapter 14

‘You are precious to me…’

Yaya opened her eyes to what felt like a new life that next morning. Just thinking about Nadech’s words gave her the courage to face the new day fearlessly. She sprang out of bed, and when Kat came in to hand her some clean laundry, she pulled the lady in by her hands and danced with her around the room.

“What has gotten into you?” Kat asked as she was whirled by Yaya.

“Today is a beautiful day, isn’t it?”

Kat was mercifully released and she replied, “Indeed, and what’s even better is that it’ your day off.”

Yaya looked at her, confused, “What do you mean?”

“Nee is downstairs right now and wants to meet with you. She said you are not to go to work.”

Rushing to dress, Yaya suddenly worried that something had happened. Or possibly, she wasn’t wanted anymore?

“I want to hold a party in Yaya’s honor.”

More confused than ever, Yaya shrunk low in her chair. “But why...?”

“As a thank you for everything you’ve done in my household,” Nee said.

“Oh no! That’s not necessary. I’m just doing my job.”

“Of course it is. You saved my son,” Nee said. “I don’t know what would have happened to him without you. I want to thank you. Please allow me to do this for you Yaya.”

Yaya looked for help from Mother, who felt it would be rude to object to the idea. “How wonderful. In fact, it would be the perfect opportunity for me to introduce Yaya as a member of our family. We’ve waited far too long to show off my daughter.” Mother was quite aware that Yaya might become her daughter in another meaning also, having seen the shift in the way Nadech and Yaya looked at and talked to one another. But until the two children confirmed it to her, it was enough for Mother to see the two happy.

“You really don’t have to. Really, I don’t want it. It’s not even my birthday or anything special. We don’t have to do this.”

“Well when it IS your birthday, I’ll make it extra special. But we can’t refuse Nee’s good intentions, so even if you don’t want it, I must insist that we hold this party in honor of you, dear.”

Yaya continued insisting that they shouldn’t bother, but neither of the ladies would agree to let this opportunity go, so plans were put into place.

“How exciting!” Kat exclaimed. “It will be such a memorable event for you Yaya. I can’t wait for the day of the party. And Mother said we are all to dress up, so I must go look for a mask.”

Somehow, through the discussions, Nee had come up with the idea of a masquerade theme for the party, which added to the weight of Yaya’s anxiety. The more she heard of the planning, the more she feared that she’d end up embarrassing everyone.

When Nadech was informed, his eyes lit up. “Good thing it won’t be held a day later.”

“Why’s that?” Yaya asked, leaning against a tree.

“I was requested for a meeting out of town. I’ll be leaving for a few days right after the party.”

The book in her hand slipped. “You’ll be gone?” she asked, picking up the book. She had not gone twenty four hours without seeing his face before, so the idea that he would be away for a few days startled her.

Nadech’s hand landed on top of hers, and he gently guided her back up. “Just for a few days. You’ll have plenty to keep you company.”

Someone cleared his throat. Seeing Om, Yaya quickly took her hand back. Not having been around the house much, this was the first time Om had noticed the development in their relationship. He smiled.

“Uh…I heard about the party.”

“It was a good idea huh?” Nadech said, teasing Yaya with his eyes.

“It’s a marvelous idea,” Om declared. “It’ll be great to introduce Yaya to everyone.” He noticed her distressed face and laughed. “Don’t be nervous, I’ll look out for you. I’ll see you two later.”

“Wait Om, shouldn’t you be resting today?” Nadech asked.

“I’ll be back in a bit,” he replied and left swiftly.

She sighed. “I hope they aren’t planning to make it too big.”

“Of course we have to make it fit for the new daughter of our family,” he said with a playful smile, swinging her hand in his as he led her around the tree to the bench. He laid her book down and grasped her other hand too and lifted them to his lips, making her glow with pleasure. “You have nothing to fear. I’ll be with you, remember?”

She nodded.

“I think mom is getting suspicious.”

Yaya blinked away shyly. “What should we do?”

“Shall I announce at the party what we are?”

“No!” she gasped, making him chuckle.

“I know. One step at a time,” though he’d be lying if he said he wasn’t eager to let the world know she was his. But they would have plenty of time to let everyone know. He would have his whole life to protect her.

Birds chirped in the distance as Yaya let her head rest on his shoulder.

-------------
The date rolled around much quicker than Yaya had expected.

“Are you sure about this?” Yaya asked, peeking at herself in the mirror, a small protest bubbling inside of her when she saw her reflection.

But Nee replied, “Of course dear. You look fabulous. You’ll be the envy of every woman in the room. See? No one will be able to take their eyes off of you.”

Finally, Yaya allowed both eyes to take in her full appearance. The long dress that loosely hugged her body all the way to her feet was of gold thread. Yaya had never worn anything so conspicuously eye-catching before and would have refused Nee flat out because of the low cut front, if it wasn’t for the translucent neckline that assured her the dress would not be falling down easily.

“Nee,” she pleaded, “Can’t I have a jacket to cover my shoulders?”

Nee pursed her lips but consented and produced a little black jacket for Yaya. “There, and don’t forget your most fun accessory.” She held out a white feather fan, which Yaya held and claimed ready for the party.

“But shouldn’t I have a mask also?” Yaya asked, feeling that she would be less shy if something was covering her face.

“No,” Nee shook her head, “You are the guest of honor. We must make sure everyone knows who you are. We will not cover up your pretty face with a mask tonight.”

Arriving at the top of the stairs, Yaya felt her heart speed up. There were so many people she didn’t know downstairs and she would feel terrible to make a fool of herself. But she had to trust Nee’s judgment and so she descended with a gracefulness that successfully hid her anxiety. She easily drew the eyes of the guests, as a transformed beauty, who could hardly be recognized from her usual girlish simple clothes. Here was a full grown woman with a halo of soft wavy hair that seemed to suggest she had come to be the heart of the party and indeed the relatives that she feared so much were more than happy to be acquainted with her.

She stayed by Mother’s side as the lady introduced her for everyone to know as the daughter of the Theerada family. There were people to be greeted and small talk to made as well as plenty of compliments. Finally, Mother excused herself to go check on something, leaving Yaya very self-conscious. Just then, she spotted Om standing before her, looking at her with a transfixed expression as if he were almost dreaming. He wore a black tuxedo with a silver mask that hid the upper half of his face.

His lips moved, “…raya…”

“What was that?” she asked, confused.

Om blinked behind his mask and shook his head. “Oh, it’s just…Yaya, you look beautiful.”

She brushed back her hair. “Thanks. I feel…I’m not sure, this is the first time I’ve attended a party like this.”

He nodded. “You’re doing fine. Here, I’ll get you a beverage.”

“Have you seen…” she didn’t get the chance to ask him about Nadech when he was gone, but almost instantly replaced by Nee.

“Here hon,” Nee gave her a glass, “It’s punch. And I just saw Mother. She said she’d like for you to go meet her by the pool.”

Wondering why Mother would want to meet her out there, Yaya accepted the glass and slipped through the crowd of masqueraders; she was quite overwhelmed at this point by the friends and extended relatives in the house and kept sipping her drink as an excuse to not have to talk to people, who were sending her curious glances, even the ones she’d met already.

By the time she reached the pool, her glass was empty and a strange lightness was flushing through her veins.

By the pool was a man wearing a black jacket like Om, so she asked, “Om? Have you seen Mother—“

Suddenly the man turned to her and jerked her towards him by her wrist. “What are you doing?” she gasped, instantly trying to free herself from him. But for some reason, her muscles felt loose; her feet were dizzily unstable. She wasn’t aware of the man holding her by her waist until all of a sudden, he was gone and a great splash turned her attention to the pool.

“Get out of here,” a voice demanded coldly.

The drenched person quickly escaped. All of this was happening too fast for Yaya to comprehend, for she was still floating in her own cloud.

“Yaya—“

“Oh,” she gasped she nearly stumbled into the pool but was caught by a man—a gentleman, her hazy mind thought. He dragged her away to the side of the house that was much more secluded and hidden.

“What are you doing here?” he asked, pulling her steady and eyeing her in concern.

The black and white stranger before her looked familiar. The arms that encircled her echoed with belonging. His dark eyes shone through a butterfly mask, searching over her, eyes trailing from her crown of flowered hair, to the little jacket that toned down her gold dress but which also drew the eyes straight to her beautiful waist and chest. Her downcast eyes showed him creamy blue lids that finally lifted and looked back at him, mirthful and unfocused.

“Are you drunk?” he asked.

“No way. I only had punch,” Yaya replied, giggling at how silly the idea was. “Um, who are you?” She couldn’t remember the reason why she had come out in the first place.

His sigh was cut in half when she glanced skyward and laughed a bell-like laugh, squeezing his shoulder. She had already forgotten her own question. “Stars! I never thought I’d be able to see so many in the city. I wonder which one is the one I came from, and who is the person that walked to earth with me.” She pouted. “Nadech said that if I never find my soulmate, Nadech would walk me back to the stars. I hope he keeps his promise. I…” She leaned in close confidentially, and her breath felt like a delicious breeze on his cheek. “I’m afraid I’ll get lost along the path, otherwise.”

How he yearned to tell her that she had no fear of being alone, just as he had told her from the start. Nadech tightened his hold around her, instinctively wanting to make sure no other man but he would walk by her side. He drew her close and whispered, “I promise,” and sealed that promise with a kiss.

If Yaya had felt light-headed before, it was nothing compared to the commotion the lips of this stranger stirred in her heart. His mouth was warm and molded to hers softly, inviting her to pucker in response, which encouraged him to sweep her mouth open to taste her fully, never losing that gentleness. Both attentively let their souls intertwine at their lips until they felt that they had traveled light-years to their destined star in heaven.

Nee paced in anger in the bathroom, after leading a group of Mother’s friends outside to witness a scandal, but found the pool area empty. Where had that girl sneaked off to and why had her worker not reported back to her?

-------------
His lips kissed her over and over.

Yaya sat up in bed. Her hand lifted to cover her mouth in shock as she realized the dream she had had, was not a dream at all. “Oh my gosh. What was I doing last night?” Her breathing was coming heavily now, not unlike in her dream, and her face felt as warm as the color maroon. Suddenly, a horrible thought struck her as memories of Nee’s last words to her came back. What had happened?

Kat came in to find a very distraught Yaya all rolled up under her blanket. “What’s wrong Yaya?”

“Kat!” Yaya swallowed hard and forced herself to ask, “How did I get back to my room?”

“Nadech helped me bring you up.”

Yaya’s mouth opened in horror. Nadech had been there? What if he had seen…? “The party…when did it end?”

“Oh well into the night. Mother said you fell ill though so she told Nadech to send you promptly back. The party went on just fine though, so don’t you worry. I heard many of the relatives say that they really liked you and wanted to meet with you again.”

Yaya sighed with relief. But then she panicked again at the very scandalous idea of kissing someone she didn’t know. The feeling was coupled with yet more confusion at the vivid memory of feeling that he had NOT felt like a stranger at all. But how could that be? Just the thought of him, Yaya could feel the feathery pressure of his lips again, and her heart pumped violently with glee.

“Is she awake?”

Yaya’s eyes widened and it took all of her will power not to dive under her bed and hide.

“How are you feeling?” Om asked as Kat passed him to go out.

“B-better. Um…you were there too? Did you…see me with anyone?”

“No,” he answered. “Nadech said he saw you fall asleep in one of the chairs by the pool.” He shook a finger at her, “Eh, who told you you could drink?”

She spluttered an explanation that she had thought the drink was just punch but Om just chuckled.

“I guess it was just a mistake. Be more careful next time. You were gone all of a sudden and…” he trailed off in silent memories before directing his attention back at her.

She restlessly nodded. “Y-you’re sure though, that no one was with me, or…or saw me?”

“It’s okay, I don’t think anyone saw you. Nadech sent you back home. He already left for his meeting though.”

“Oh.” She’d completely forgotten that Nadech had to leave. What she felt most guilty about was that she was relieved she wouldn’t have to face him after what had happened last night. How could this happen to her, Yaya groaned inside. She had unintentionally betrayed Nadech. She looked up at Om and just then noticed how haggard he appeared. “Are you feeling okay?”

“Me? I’m fine. Why?”

She got out of bed and lifted her hand to feel his forehead. “You feel kind of warm. Have you not been resting like Mother asked you to?”

For a moment, he simply looked at her, then quickly turned away. “I’m fine. Thanks for your concern.” He left Yaya anxious as she recalled Nadech telling her that it was nearing Araya’s death anniversary. Would he continue being like this until it passed?

Yaya let her cell phone ring until the tension inside her snapped and she answered. “Hello?”

“Hey.”

She gulped. “How are the meetings?”

“They’re going well. How are you doing? Hungover?” Nadech teased.

She replied without humor, “No…”

He exaggeratedly sighed. “I never would have expected this from you Yaya. Imagine my surprise when I went out to look for you and discovered you unconscious. Tsk, I have to say, I’m a bit disappointed.”

“…I’m sorry,” she hung her head in shame.

Nadech chuckled, “I was kidding. Do you really think I’d be mad because of something like that? But seriously, next time, don’t drink unless I’m around. Okay?”

“Okay.”

His brow puckered. “Are you alright? You sound tired. Go to bed early tonight and don’t go to work if you’re not feeling well. Yaya?” he asked when she remained silent. “I really was joking. Don’t feel bad.”

Unable to hold it in any longer, Yaya burst out, “What would you say if I did something really bad b-but it wasn’t intentional and I never wanted it to happen?’

So it was this. Of course, Nadech thought, she didn’t have a clear memory of last night. A smile appeared as his own vivid recollection of their kiss touched his lips. Currently, he was imagining how Yaya would react when he revealed who the stranger that was eating at her guilt was. She would be shocked, be shy, she would pout, then, while she had her senses about her this time, he would convince her to let him kiss her senseless all over again.
Biting back a grin, he gently assured her. “If you didn’t do it on purpose and you feel remorse, then there’s no reason you shouldn’t be forgiven.”

She held her breath. “Really?”

“Really. Hey, I didn’t get to tell you this but, you looked lovely last night.”

Still slightly pensive, she let her guilt subside for the moment. “How come you showed up so late?” Yaya quickly added, “But good thing you came at the right time. I don’t know what I would have done if all your relatives saw me like that.”

“They love you already, I can tell.” This got a small giggle out of her. “Don’t worry about whatever it is for now.”

“Okay.” She was pleased enough to hear his voice and the gentle tone he always spoke with, so tentative to her feelings like he knew everything about her. “Nadech…I miss you a lot.”

His chest fluttered with affection from her words. “Soon I’ll be back home and you won’t be able to get rid of me. Oh, Yaya. Can you do me a favor?”

“Guess what?” Boy said, coming in to see Nadech.

“Yes?”

“Interestingly, while you’re here close to Yaya’s hometown, I heard from an assistant that Pope Surongtakul is doing business near our town.”

Nadech looked up briefly. “I’m sure he won’t be stopping by for a visit any time soon.”

Boy scoffed, “I’m still sore over the lost lawsuit. At least he doesn’t gloat over his victories….”

“We’ll just have to let it go,” Nadech said.

“Yeah, easy for you to say. You got the girl.” This earned Boy a questioning look, making him roll his eyes. “Just couldn’t help noticing a change of attitude in you lately.”

“How so?”

“Oh I dunno, like how happy you are, like how when we’re out, you look at the food like it can’t be compared to the food made by someone else, and do I have to mention the cheesy smiles?”

Nadech laughed. “Seriously?”

“The question is, how did it happen?” Boy quirked a brow.

Nadech got up and straightened his jacket, shrugging. “Maybe, just maybe, the stars wrote it.”

“Okay, stuff like that should only be said by people who read scripts for a living,” Boy followed him out of the office.

-------------
Hey guys! Thanks for reading, I always look forward to seeing your comments. Gosh I miss you all, and hope you're having a great weekend!
THE MASQUERADE PARTY WAS INSPIRED BY KIKI AND THESE:

jjinxx

ukepearl

sarNie Hatchling
wait wait... what was the favour??? ^__^"
thanks jinxxxyyy!
oh yea can you help me abit? i am SOOO stuck on my ff.. inbox me??