Updates on Various Couples: Anne, Ken, Chakrit, Chompoo, etc.

Thookatha

sarNie Elites
Mahalo said:
Girly, I'm not even Thai. Lol. I picked up learning Thai from watching subbed lakorns. It took me about 4 years to learn. I was born and raised in the States. As for translating, I use a phonetic translator that writes out all of the Thai pronunciations into English. Since I can speak Thai now, I can decipher their meanings. So the translator just writes out the article in karaoke format. Lol. It takes awhile to translate long articles, but I enjoy doing it because it also improves my Thai vocabulary.
freakin' genius!!! i bow down to u!!

Mahalo

sarNie OldFart
Aww thank you Thookatha :) But honestly, anyone can do it if they're just as driven. I love learning new languages so it's not a surprise that I'd invest so much time into learning Thai. I do the same for Spanish, but I haven't been practicing at all, so I had forgotten most of it. Bummer.

Mahalo

sarNie OldFart
CR: Sanook/ JANIENINEELEVEN
Paula Taylor and Edward welcome their new baby boy Luka. Paula gave birth in England on February 5th at 5 am. Both the mother and son are healthy. Congrats!

lenlin

sarNie Juvenile
Mahalo said:
Girly, I'm not even Thai. Lol. I picked up learning Thai from watching subbed lakorns. It took me about 4 years to learn. I was born and raised in the States. As for translating, I use a phonetic translator that writes out all of the Thai pronunciations into English. Since I can speak Thai now, I can decipher their meanings. So the translator just writes out the article in karaoke format. Lol. It takes awhile to translate long articles, but I enjoy doing it because it also improves my Thai vocabulary.    
Wow, I don't even know how you can read karaoke format. It's easier when they have the accent marks and stuff to indicate tone, but otherwise, it's a lot more difficult trying to make out which word they're referring to. I guess it's because I can read Thai so I find it easier just looking at the Thai writing. Transliteration leaves room for ambiguity, but if you're reading the article, context helps a lot in figuring out the word being used. When I'm reading a Thai title in transliteration form, I sometimes mistake the meaning. Take Pope Rak for example. The first time I read it, I thought it meant "pope" as in "to find" and "rak" as in "love." So I thought: "Oh, it's about a couple who finds love (which lakorn isn't, by the way)," but it was "pope" as in "world," so in this case, it's more like "Otherworldly Love," or something like that. But maybe it was also a play-on-word?

Either way, thanks a lot for all these translated articles. Personally, I would prefer separate posts for each article (unless they're small blurbs then it's okay to put them altogether) because articles tend to get lost in the midst of all the comments and pages, but it's up to you how you prefer to do it. I just appreciate all your hard work since I don't have time to keep up with news anymore.

Mahalo

sarNie OldFart
lenlin said:
Wow, I don't even know how you can read karaoke format. It's easier when they have the accent marks and stuff to indicate tone, but otherwise, it's a lot more difficult trying to make out which word they're referring to. I guess it's because I can read Thai so I find it easier just looking at the Thai writing. Transliteration leaves room for ambiguity, but if you're reading the article, context helps a lot in figuring out the word being used. When I'm reading a Thai title in transliteration form, I sometimes mistake the meaning. Take Pope Rak for example. The first time I read it, I thought it meant "pope" as in "to find" and "rak" as in "love." So I thought: "Oh, it's about a couple who finds love (which lakorn isn't, by the way)," but it was "pope" as in "world," so in this case, it's more like "Otherworldly Love," or something like that. But maybe it was also a play-on-word?

Either way, thanks a lot for all these translated articles. Personally, I would prefer separate posts for each article (unless they're small blurbs then it's okay to put them altogether) because articles tend to get lost in the midst of all the comments and pages, but it's up to you how you prefer to do it. I just appreciate all your hard work since I don't have time to keep up with news anymore.

Awww. Thank you Lenlin :) It's definitely much more difficult for me to translate articles since I don't read or write Thai. However, I enjoy doing it because it's fun. I have a passion for learning new languages. I find joy in learning about other cultures and it's super awesome when a native speaker hears me speak their language! Haha. I can't possibly have done this without determination to learn Thai. My goal was set ever since I was 10 years old to learn Thai when I grow up. 12 years later, I did it! And I started out a couple years ago by watching Thai lakorns with subs.

I unknowingly learned the language by ear. Of course, I'd research and picked up the basics, but subs really helped me in familiarizing how words are used and how they are pronounced. Knowing the grammatical Thai structure really helped aid me in translating because even though I may not know the written tone, I know how to speak it, so yes, I use the context to help figure things out. It's true that some words sound alike and can be interpreted as two or more separate meanings, but I try my best to decipher them. The translator also helps by giving definitions of multiple possibilities with accents on the words. I just narrow it down to the word that best fits the description.

As for the articles being merged into one thread, I thought about creating separate threads for each article, but I've realized that most AF members are not as active when it comes to commenting on Thai entertainment news. It'd be a waste of space to have a single thread with just one post, which is mine. Lol. Sometimes, the articles get lost in all the other threads that involve polls or random discussions on favorite stars and such, so I wanted to group certain ET threads into one thread so it'd be easier to keep track of them. This thread is made for updates on Thai couples, the happy ones. Lol. If an article is big enough to stand on its own, I'll create a separate thread for it. I'd definitely love for AF to have its own entertainment section so it'd be easier to post up new translated articles about the Thai ET, but right now, it gets mixed up with other survey discussions.   

lenlin

sarNie Juvenile
You're right, it would get mixed up. I love learning new languages, too, but I haven't had time to try and pick up a new one. I've been trying to learn both Chinese and Japanese, but I think I should pick one and stick to it, master it, them move on to the next one.

I support AF having their own news section, but I don't know if there are many who will have time to translate articles besides yourself.

Mahalo

sarNie OldFart
I try to learn languages that would most benefit me. Thai is an exception. I wanted to learn it because I wanted to. However, where I live, there are no Thai's to be found. There are plenty of Laotians though, but they don't understand me when I speak Thai. If they watch Thai lakorns, some probably can, but a majority can't understand me. Lol. I'd love to learn Mandarin, but in the U.S., there are more Cantonese speaking Chinese Americans. Mandarin would be the correct choice to learn since more people on the planet speak it, but considering how I'll never live in China or Taiwan, learning Mandarin would be of no use to me when everyone around me speaks Canto. Lol. It's such a dilemma.

That is true that not many people will translate articles except for me, but it'd still be nice to have a section of its own. Lol. Since I'm busy with school, I won't be able to translate as much. However, once the semester ends, I'm almost positive that I'll be translating a lot when summer comes. Haha. When I first became a member here, it was kind of difficult to navigate the site. I think it can use a little bit more organizing, but I appreciate the hard work that Darvil has put in.  

Thookatha

sarNie Elites

[/quote]
Mahalo said:
Awww. Thank you Lenlin :) It's definitely much more difficult for me to translate articles since I don't read or write Thai. However, I enjoy doing it because it's fun. I have a passion for learning new languages. I find joy in learning about other cultures and it's super awesome when a native speaker hears me speak their language! Haha. I can't possibly have done this without determination to learn Thai. My goal was set ever since I was 10 years old to learn Thai when I grow up. 12 years later, I did it! And I started out a couple years ago by watching Thai lakorns with subs.

I unknowingly learned the language by ear. Of course, I'd research and picked up the basics, but subs really helped me in familiarizing how words are used and how they are pronounced. Knowing the grammatical Thai structure really helped aid me in translating because even though I may not know the written tone, I know how to speak it, so yes, I use the context to help figure things out. It's true that some words sound alike and can be interpreted as two or more separate meanings, but I try my best to decipher them. The translator also helps by giving definitions of multiple possibilities with accents on the words. I just narrow it down to the word that best fits the description.

As for the articles being merged into one thread, I thought about creating separate threads for each article, but I've realized that most AF members are not as active when it comes to commenting on Thai entertainment news. It'd be a waste of space to have a single thread with just one post, which is mine. Lol. Sometimes, the articles get lost in all the other threads that involve polls or random discussions on favorite stars and such, so I wanted to group certain ET threads into one thread so it'd be easier to keep track of them. This thread is made for updates on Thai couples, the happy ones. Lol. If an article is big enough to stand on its own, I'll create a separate thread for it. I'd definitely love for AF to have its own entertainment section so it'd be easier to post up new translated articles about the Thai ET, but right now, it gets mixed up with other survey discussions.
mahalo, what translator do u use??

byebye

sarNie OldFart
My husband can speak 4 languages and I can't even speak one properly. Those that can just pick up on a language is just smart.

x0unerthanlater

`my dragon's blood is blue`
To translate Thai I just pop the paragraph into google translate and press the talk button. It will read everything in Thai and I just translate it from what I hear. I can read only a little. I haven't learned the alphabet yet so some characters are hard to make out. It's so similar to Lao and that's how I was able to read a bit of it. Learning new languages is certainly fun!

Thanks Mahalo for all the updates on the couples! This is a great way to see who's dating/marrying who. I don't watch the Thai ent. news all that much anymore so this is a great alternative.

Mahalo

sarNie OldFart
Translated Article from Sanook
Angie Hastings Prepares to Wed Her Handsome Millionaire Fiance

Once more, another woman is met with true love. For more than 9 years, Angie Hastings has been dating a wealthy petroleum oil businessman from Kuwait. Angie has previously revealed about her, then, boyfriend surprise proposal to her, which had her shocked and screaming in joy. The atmosphere was very romantic as well. Recently, Finale Wedding Magazine posted an image of Angie and her future groom's romantic pre-wedding photoshoot. One must say, if the jewelry and wardrobe are already this extravagant for the pre-wedding photoshoot, how fancy will the actual wedding be? Will the groom's wedding for his future bride be suitable of his status? You will have to wait and see.

See more:

Koy123

sarNie OldFart
Congrats to Angie! Just finished rewatching Bow See Chompoo the other day. She was so funny in that lakorn

phatman

POPE's #1 MIA LUANG
I thought Angie was already married that's why she disappeared from the small screen. HAHA. Well, her groom looks handsome.  

bubbles8

sarNie Adult
Woah so much effort in translating, that's why i have always been very appreciative of those who does translations and esp subbing!! I love learning new languages, but brain is getting old and too cramped, not much can squeeze there anymore heheh

You're doing a great job mahalo!!

x0unerthanlater

`my dragon's blood is blue`
Angie's shoot looks extravagant. Congrats to her. I thought she was already married too. How are all these Thai ladies meeting these rich foreign men? 555