lakornblog

sarNie Hatchling
Chapter Twenty Eight

“Gun isn’t talking.” Can said as he reached for his drink. “It means he’s listening.”

“I think it’s because he opened his mouth and Pream shushed him by jabbing a finger on his lips to zip it.” Turning her attention back to him, Ploy slapped Can in the back of his head, “you don’t talk, but you also don’t listen when I yell at you.”

“That’s because I’m trying to stay awake. You bore me to death.” Can said and scooped up his noodle. Ploy reached for Kim’s bowl of noodle and waited for Can to speak some more. “I don’t know why you keep yelling at me for. You hit me more than an abusive girlfriend too. If you were my girlfriend, I’d let you hit me for free. You don’t even need a reason to yell or hit me-- as a boyfriend I would let you. But you’re not my girl…” Can sighed as he felt the broth pour down the neck of his shirt then down his forehead, dripping off his brow. Then the plop of the noodles landing on his head.

Pream still had her finger on Gun’s lips when he and she turned their head to fully look at Can. “Why were we arguing?” Pream asked as she felt Gun grab her fingers to tug them off his lips. “We both want what’s best for Charlie.” Gun nodded his head still with his hand holding on to hers. “You can let me go now.” Gun shook his head at her and held on to her hands still.

“Gun, I want to go home.” Can said as he turned his head slowly from dropping the noodle everywhere.

“We’re so busy arguing, we forgot about the biggest kids we have here.” Pream tried to tug her hand away from him again as Gun said as he nodded at Can and Ploy.

Can pointed his finger up at Ploy as she crossed her arms at him and stuck her nose up in the air tauntingly, his other hand went to the noodles on his head and that’s when Gun and Pream heard the loud thwack and a long silence. They both turned their head to see Ploy with noodle strands stuck to her face. The two just turned back to look at each other and started laughing. They didn’t see Ploy squinting her eyes at them as she leaned over to grab Can’s unfinished meal and tossed it their way.

Pream gasped as the broth dripped down her neck and into her shirt. Gun adjusted his shirt collar when the liquid rolled down the side of his neck and loosened the first button finally releasing Pream’s hand as she yanked it to grab a nearby bowl to toss back at Ploy. She ended up hiding her face behind the bowl when it landed on Can instead. Gun was laughing harder now when he saw the look on Can’s face, also how his cousin looked with noodles all over him was hilarious. Can glanced over at Pream and grabbed the noodles remaining on the table to throw at his cousin. Being that Gun’s mouth was wide open from laughing he had choked a little and had to spit it out himself-- bending over to breath while spitting out whatever was in his mouth. Pream was laughing now as she patted his back and handed him some water. Smiling, he took the water to drink some, then turned back to toss the rest in his cousin’s face.

“Oh my god!” Pream said grabbing her vase, “the security is coming!” Laughing she ran from the table as Ploy also fell into step behind her.

Can was still sitting there until his cousin slapped his face, “come on!”

“I can’t run anymore!” Pream panted as she leaned against a tree and placed the vase down. Ploy plopped down next to her.

“I think I see why Charlie enjoys food fights.” Gun laughed holding onto his stomach, he too was out of breath.

Bending over on his knees Can rolled his eyes, “easy for you to say, you weren’t on multiple ends of something being up-ended at you.”

“I’m seeing spots in my vision.” Can said as he fell over on the grass.

Looking around Pream asked, “where are we?”

Ploy glanced around, “this place looks familiar.”

Realizing he recognized the gate they were nearby Gun scratched his head and looked over at his cousin, “you might be really comfortable right now, you know trying to breathe and catch your breath and all, but I just thought I’d let you know that we’re near a cemetery.”

Can rolled over on the grass to get up and run again.

Ploy placed her hands on her hips, “you know, he’d be the first to die in a horror movie.” Pream thought about that a moment before her friend continued, “the one running first always dies in the movies.”

Hefting up her vase again Pream got up to dust herself. “Come on, let’s go home. It’s getting late.”

Gun extended his hands for the vase, “here, I got it.”

She smiled and handed him the vase before turning around to help her friend up from the tree root. Ploy twined her elbows with Pream as they walked behind the guys. “You okay?”

“I think I’m good.” Pream smiled lightly, “I’m still a little confused. But I think I see where Gun is going with this.”

Ploy frowned and patted her hands, “let’s go ahead and finish our night bundled in PJ’s and a bottle of wine.”
“Don’t you think we’ve had enough to drink tonight?”

Ploy snorted, “wait until you’re in my shoes, you might need a whole case of wine.” All these close calls with Gun, Ploy felt like she should get life insurance for herself-- and Pream can be her beneficiary should she expire or Gun kills and hides her body somewhere in the short future.

Ploy unlocked the car door and when he heard the click, Gun placed the vase in the back seat of the car. “You ladies going to be okay heading back to the condo?”

“Please, this is nothing.” The little girl beamed and hopped into the driver’s seat, Pream waved at the guys before going into the car herself. Can tapped on his car window, repeatedly until Ploy rolled hers down. “What?!”

“Return my car tomorrow.” Can said pointing a finger at her.

“If I wake up early enough, sure.” Ploy said waving her fingers at him and rolling the window back up.

Pream rolled hers down without being asked when Gun walked around the car to her side. “Let us know when you make it safely.” He leaned into the car and pointed a finger at Ploy. “Call us when you make it back.”

“I’ll call Can.” Ploy said as she took off her foot off the brakes.

“My phone is dead.” Can said looking down at a black screen.

Ploy tsked, “all that check-in and Instagram.”

“No, it’s more like all that broth drowning it.” He said flicking a piece of food at Ploy.

Gun looked down at his phone, “if your number still the same Ploy?”

“Yea, why?”

“It’s going straight to voicemail.” Gun said clicking his phone shut.

Ploy pulled hers out of her purse and pouted. “Crap.”

Can mocked her, “all that check-in and Instagram.” She glared at him before rolling her windows back up on his fingers.

“I’ll call you when Ploy get us to the condo.” Pream said waving her fingers at him and started to roll up her windows too.

“I don’t think you have the same number anymore.” Gun said stopping Pream.

“Oh yea, I got a new phone when we were at the beach.” Pream remembered ducking into the car to look at the driver’s side. “I thought you told Gun already?” He was supposed to bill Gun for the phone, wasn’t he?

Can scratched his head, “Ploy, FaceTime me on the iPad when you get back.”

Pream reached her hands out for Gun’s phone, “it’s okay, I’ll just put my number into his phone.”

“I have to pee!” Ploy said releasing the brakes one more time. “I’ll FaceTime you Can, bye!”

Gun’s hand was still stretched out with his phone as Ploy sped off.

“What was that all about?” Gun asked as he smelled burnt rubber. “Your girlfriend is a headcase.”

“For the millionth time, she’s not my girlfriend.”

“Do you have Pream’s number?” Gun asked as they made their way to the car. “Ploy scares me with her behavior.”

Can cleared his throat, “of course.” Thank goodness the phone wasn’t working right now. He gave his cousin a weak smile as they walked back to their car.
 ​
Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ ---------- Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ
 ​
“Ploy.” Pream said looking around the living room waiting for Ploy to pop another bottle open. “Why don’t you redecorate this place? I don’t live here anymore with you.” She picked up a picture frame of them smiling into the camera. Then placed it to look at another one of them at the beach. “It looks like I just moved out and you just left it in the past.”

She had just finished pouring the wine for them when she eyes the bottle in her hand and chugged some of it. It’s going to be a long night, and she plans on giving Pream the largest hangover so that she won’t be able to roll over in bed and move. She shook her head and she felt the room spin for her.

“Yea, well, I like it this way.” She said handing over the glass, “we’ll never know when you’re coming back.”

Pream frowned at her friend, “what a weird thing to say.”

Ploy shrugged, “who cares, let’s drink.” She clinked her glass with Pream. Seriously, who knows when Pream would come back to her real home.

“Aren’t you going to call and let Can know we made it home? We’ve been back for a few hours now.”

Ploy reached around for the iPad and dialed out.

Can was stretched out on the guest bed when one of his devices started ringing. “Oh my god.” Can growled as he didn’t bother to turn on the light.

Pream peaked over at the iPad screen. “Are you in one of our guest rooms?”

He let out a drunken laugh, “can’t drive. You guys have my car.”

“Can’t drive. You’re too drunk.” Ploy said poking at the iPad screen.

“How’s Charlie?” Pream asked placing her wine glass down, “she didn’t wake up in the middle of the night did she?”

“Why do you ask?”

“She did that when I first returned home, to make sure  was really there.”

“Oh…” Can said as he smacked his head a little. The room wouldn’t stop spinning. “I’ll double check in a little bit.” He heard a knock at his door. “Yea?”

“Here.” Gun said tossing a set of pajamas when he opened the door.

With the light spilling in Ploy screeched at what she saw on the screen then tossed the iPad onto the couch. “What is wrong with you!” Gun froze as he realized the light was showing that his cousin was sleeping without anything on.

Can grabbed the clothes Gun tossed at him and handed the iPad to Gun, “what happened to my clothes?”

Pream was to the side of the screen covering her mouth trying not to laugh as Ploy was heard yelling still in the background about her eyes. “He puked on his clothes.”

“I see.” Pream said looming over the iPad camera. “We left you guys sober though.”

“We got home and broke open another bottle.” Gun shrugged.  He saw Pream reach over for something and when she returned to the camera’s line of vision he saw her sipping on a glass of wine. “And I see you ladies popped open a bottle of your own.”

Still not picking up the iPad from where it laid on the couch Pream gave him a dreamy smile, “girl’s night out. Why not?”

Can grabbed the iPad from Gun, “will you stop screaming already Ploy?” Gun saw that the iPad was picked up and Pream was no longer in sight. He leaned against the door jam and crossed his hands. “Shut up. I don’t remember when I fell asleep.” Jamming her fingers against the iPad Ploy continued to berate him. “My head is still pounding, can you yell at me later?”

“Fine, goodnight.” Ploy said handing the iPad over to Pream, “I’m going to was up.” She growled when she heard Can ask her to take the iPad into the shower too.

Pream looked into the camera shaking her head, “if you guys aren’t dating as you say, why do you keep doing that to her?”

“It’s fun.” Can shrugged as Gun loomed over his shoulders now, “what?” His cousin pointed at the iPad. “Fine.” He rolled his eyes and made his way back into bed with the borrowed pajamas.

“Good night.” Gun said as Pream’s face was fully on screen.

“Kiss Charlie goodnight for me.” Then she raised her wine glass up to him and cheered. “Sweet dreams Gun.”
The screen turned off when he felt a pain in his chest again. It was starting to get a little bothersome now. It constantly hurt when she smiled at him. He tossed the iPad back on to the bed with Can. Frowning at the iPad Gun walked out of the room without a see-ya-later to Can. He picked up his iPad and placed it somewhere on the nightstand near him.

Gun walked down the hallway and poked his head in to see Charlie sleeping with of of her dolls. He leaned down to kiss her forehead. “Goodnight.” He smiled stroking her hair and pulling those out of her face. Laughing to himself he bent down and gave her the kiss Pream asked of him.

“Daddy?” Charlie murmured sleepily.

“Pream wanted me to kiss you good night.” Gun explained.

His daughter yawned, “that’s nice.” She was asleep in no time after that. Chances are, she wouldn’t remember if he did come into her room tonight at all. He looked around his daughter’s room and noticed some new addition to her wall. There were more drawings and paintings she’s done and he took a closer look at one of them. She had drawn herself with another woman. The sun even had a smiley face and sunglasses on. He also noticed that there was only one picture she had drawn with him in it. It looked like the beach. He was grilling. she was building a sand castle, Can and Ploy were in the water--Pream was sitting near his daughter. It looked picture perfect. He sighed. She did need a mother in her life, doesn’t she?

lakornblog

sarNie Hatchling
Chapter Twenty Nine

Pream walked into Ploy’s room and sighed. It’s almost noon and her friend was still unconscious and snoring into her pillow. She glanced down at her watch again, she really had to go. Charlie would be wondering where her mother is. She wrote a quick note down and walked downstairs for a taxi.

Once they arrived home Pream saw the staff members surprised to see her. “What’s wrong?” She asked as she noticed Jim running to the driveway. “Jim, I didn’t have any cash on me, can you please take care of this, thank you.” Jim nodded his head and walked up to the driver to ask how much the fare was. Pream waltzed up the stairs with a shower goal in mind when Jai jumped seeing her walk up the steps. The housekeeper was also acting weird. “Has lunch been started yet?” The older woman shook her head, “great, I’ll be down in a moment to cook.” She nodded her head holding on to her chest as if she couldn’t breath, “Jai, did you need to lie down and rest?”

“Maybe a little, ma’am.”

Pream smiled, “then please, go rest. I’m home. I’ll see what there is to take care of. She patted the old woman’s hand. Take the rest of the day off. I insist.” She walked away with an extra bounce in her step.

Jai was holding on to the banister for support. She just might not want to wake up again if the boss comes home and noticed that he had a fake wife living with him.The older woman walked down the stairs slowly to let everyone else know that their mistress is home when she wasn’t supposed to.

Noun jumped when Pream opened her door and entered. “Noun! Great, you’re here. Can you tell Sonny that I’ll be down shortly. There’s chicken wings that I left to the side in the fridge.” The servant with her mouth opened walked out slowly and backwards until she hit the wall.

“What’s wrong with everyone today?” She wondered then popped out of the door to ask, “have you seen Charlie? It’s been quiet since I’ve gotten home.”

“She’s out with her dad.” Noun stammered, “Mis-Mister Can needed t-to replace his ph-phone.”

Pream nodded her head, “that’s right. I forgot Ploy broke his phone last night when we were eating.”

“You guys were together last night?” Noun asked shocked.

Pream nodded her head. “Yes. Oh yea, that reminds me. I left a vase near the foyer entrance, can you find some flowers to place in to it.”

“Where would you like the vase placed?”

She thought a moment, “let’s place it in the center of the dining room table.”

Noun nodded and took off down the hallway. Pream smiled shaking her head, “these staff members. Something sure has gotten them spooked.” Pream pulled out her phone as she looked in her closet for something to wear before heading in to the shower. It went to voicemail after a few rings. “Ploy.” Pream lectured though her phone, “I’m home now, and you’re still asleep? I placed your phone on the charger already so you can’t use the ‘my phone died’ excuse. Call me when you wake up and realize I am gone.” She laughed and dialed another number but this one went straight to voicemail. “Can, I’m home already. I took a taxi. The staff just told me you went out with Gun and Charlie to get a new phone. Make sure you get a good case on it so that it won’t drown again or break proof in case Ploy throws it.” She sighed and found a dress with a price tag still on in. Pulling it out she eyed the price. “Oh my god. Where did I shop at?” She ran her hands through the clothes and which ever one she found with a price tag she tossed on to her bed. They were new and the tags were still on? She grabbed those with a tag and stuck them the furthest away from the door.

Pream stepped into the kitchen after she showered and found Sonny and Noun looking down at the fish they had prepared. “I thought I asked you guys to bring out the chicken wings?”

The girls smiled sheepishly, “we had already marinated this in the morning.”

Shaking her head Pream looked at the fish, “tell you what. Take it out of the marinade and paper towel dry it by patting on the fish. I’ll make a bland batter for it so that it wouldn’t be too salty.”

“Is the boss going to eat it?” The girls asked surprised.

Pream shrugged, “I hear that most anyone eats things fried more than it’s cooked any other way, right?” She laughed, “but I think we should also bring out the chicken wings.”
 ​
 ​
Once his new phone was set up the device’s notification went off. Charlie crossed her arms, “you need to turn off that Instagram alert.”

Can frowned, “I didn’t install it yet. But thanks for the reminder twerp.” He ruffled up her hair and ran to hide behind her dad. He glanced down to see that it was a voicemail message. He placed his phone to his ear and waited for his voicemail prompt.

“Dad.” Charlie said as she looked around at the other ladies eying her dad as they stood outside the phone store. “May we eat at home instead for lunch?”

“Sure,” Gun smiled, ‘was there anything else you wanted to do before we head back home?”

“I wanted to see the new toys.” Charlie smiled.

They headed to the shop and started browsing.

Can tried to call Ploy again. Pream is at home? Ploy was supposed to keep an eye out on Pream. “Answer your phone!” He shouted for his voicemail.

Charlie frowned when a lady asked her dad for toy suggestions then when she noticed some ladies were wheeling their strollers closer towards her dad to stare at him she stomped her little feet. The ones who caught her eyes avoided her when she made a face at them.

They eventually made their way pass them but when one stopped to ask if she had a mother Charlie’s eyes slowly squinted at her. Sighing, Charlie nodded her head, “she’s really pretty too.” Then she pinched the woman who screeched.

“Charlie,” Gun said worriedly as he turned away from the shelf. “Are you okay?”

“Stranger danger.” Charlie said holding on to her dad’s leg.

“Your daughter bit me!” The woman explained.

“I’m sorry…” Gun said slowly then asked, “why were you so close to my daughter?”

The woman blushed then quickly rushed away.

Gun squat down in front of his daughter, “I thought you wanted to look at the new toys…” Charlie shook her head, “you changed your mind again?” She pouted and repeated that she wanted to go home. “Okay, okay.” He waved Can over, “Charlie wants to go home now.”

“What?!” Can said pulling the phone away from his ears. “We can’t go home now!”

“Why not?” Gun asked, “if you want to stay here, I’ll ask Jim to pick you up. Or you could catch a taxi…”

Can shook head head, “no!”

“Then what do you want?” Gun asked.
 ​
 ​
Pream was finishing up the garnishment for the wings when her phone rang. “Noun, can you place this out on the table please?” He licked her fingertips, the sauce was good. She was proud then reached to answer her phone. “Hey Ploy, you’ve risen!”

Ploy mumbled with her eyes still closed, “have you seen the keys?”

“Keys?” Pream repeated, “let me go upstairs to check.” She laughed as she heard Ploy groan, “still in bed?”

“No.” She grunted. “I woke up and saw a bunch of miscalls from Can, I figure he wants his car back, but I can’t find the car keys. So I’m plopped on the floor in the living room right now.”

Gun pulled up into the driveway and Jim helped to open the doors. The man’s hand was shaking. “Are you okay?” Gun asked as he got out of the car. “You’re shaking pretty bad.”

“Y-Yes sir.” Jim said wiping the sweats off his forehead. They are al going to get fired now.

“Why don’t you take the day off? If you need to go to the doctor’s then you have my permission.”

Jim nodded his head and went to move the car into one of the garage.

Can was biting his nails when they all walked in. Gun was the first to notice that the house smelled delicious. This morning's breakfast was burnt toast with smoked salmon with his cream cheese. He almost threw it up but swallowed it down with some coffee. The coffee itself was drowned in salt.

He walked by the dining room table and saw the chicken wings. He nabbed one on his way upstairs. “Come on Charlie, let’s wash up before lunch.” He laughed as Charlie challenged him for a race upstairs.

Can stayed behind. “Where’s Pream?” He asked when Sonny came out with another dish. She pointed upstairs and went back into the kitchen as Can wanted to poke his eyes out.

Pream laughed, “found it! I’ll be over in a little bit.” She opened the door and saw Gun going into his room. “They’re back!” She smiled, “I’ll see you shortly Ploy!” She popped into Charlie’s room. “Mai,” she nodded in greetings when Mai went into the bathroom. “washing up without my asking to?” She laughed as Charlie bounded into her arms. “How was shopping?”

Charlie pouted, “I didn’t have fun.” She tilted her head at Pream, “I thought you were still with Ploy? Shouldn’t you still be at Ploy’s?”

“Actually, I didn’t realize you guys returned, I was going to head over to Ploy and give her the keys to your uncle’s car.”

“You have my car keys?” Can asked hearing Pream in the hallway. He poked his head out to see if Gun was out too.

Pream shrugged, “I think I tossed it into my purse when Ploy had trouble unlocking the door.” She made a face, “I actually have her house keys too.” SIghing she hugged Charlie again, “you don’t mind if I miss lunch with you do you?”

Charlie shook her head and hugged Pream, “better leave soon in case P’Ploy needs to be somewhere.”

Can agreed quickly, “she’s right. Better go quickly!”

“Excuse Gun for me please.” Pream said going downstairs with Can as Charlie went in to shower.

“Why?”

“What do you mean why?” Pream asked, “he’s expecting me home.”

“Oh yea.” Can laughed a little. “Yeah…”

Jim was walking pass when she asked if he could drive her to Ploy’s place. “Right away ma’am!” He ran to grab the car.

Noun came by with the vase, “oh! That’s pretty!” Pream grinned, “good job!” She waited a beat, “the fish that we fried, can you actually pack that to go with a little rice?”

“Yes ma’am.” She rushed away.

“What are you doing with the fish?”

Pream chuckled, “Gun doesn’t like it, so why not feed Ploy?”

“That’s true.”

“Besides, she sounds really horrible on the phone.”

Can scoffed, “I hope she has a crazy hangover that will last until next year.”

“Why so hostile?” Pream thanked Noun for the bag of food and walked down the steps waiting for Jim. “She mentioned a lot of missed calls from you was what woke her up.”

“She didn’t even call me back.”

“Ploy didn’t check the message yet, she assumed you wanted your car back.” She waved bye to Can when Jim pulled up with the car.

Gun walked out to find Can as the house gate closed. “Did Jim go to the doctor’s office?”
“What?” Can asked jumping to find his cousin looking over his shoulders.

“Jim left with the car, he went to the doctor’s right?” Gun asked as Can scratched his head, “are you okay? You’re sweating bullets.”

“I’m fine, just really hungry.” Can said ducking into the house. “Come on, let’s eat!”

Charlie was pulling out her chair when the adults arrived. “All set?” Gun asked as he helped to push his daughter’s chair in. “Lunch looks good.” He smelled the aroma again savoring the one piece of chicken he ate while he walked up to shower. He sat down and looked at the flower arrangement on the table. “Who decided to decorate the table?”

“You don’t like it?” Noun asked as she brought out the rice.

“It’s nice.” Gun smiled, “where’s Jai?”

“She’s resting, not feeling well was what she said.” Noun scooped rice for Charlie first.

“Seems to be going around. How’s everyone else in the house?” Gun asked.

“We’re fine.” Noun smiled, “Just a lot of random stressors acting up.”

Charlie pouted as she ate her rice.

Gun looked at the flowers again, the vase looked like the one Pream had one last night. He shook his head smiling as he ate his lunch. Seriously, all the vases looked alike to him.
 ​

lakornblog

sarNie Hatchling
Chapter Thirty

Ploy woke up to the smell of garlic. She cracked her eyes open. “Who is there?”

“Finally, you’re awake!” Pream prepped the plate and added garnishment onto the fish placing it into the center of the table.

“How long have I been asleep?”

“I don’t know. You called me about an hour ago.” Pream waved her over, “come on, let’s eat.”

“Why would I call you?”

Pream laughed, “you were looking for the car keys, turned out I had your house keys too.”

“Where were you when I called you?”

“At home.” Pream said grabbing the rice then looking around for a glasses to pour the water. “You were looking for Can’s car keys thinking he might be looking for them?”

“Why would I think he’s looking for them?” Ploy said pulling the hair out of her eyes and face.

Pream shrugged as she poured the water, “you said you received a lot of missed calls from him-- that you didn’t check the voicemails either and just assumed otherwise.”

Ploy jumped off the couch, “Wait!” Pream looked up as she was holding the water jug. “You said you were at home?”

“I thought you read the note I left near your pillow?”

“What note?” Ploy ran into the room holding on to her head. “You went home?!” Ploy screamed from inside the room. “How did I sleep through all of this?”

“You did go through a few bottles last night.” Pream said as she sat down at the table. Ploy was crawling back out slowly. “Come out, some food in you can help.”

“How did you get here…”

Pream scooped some fish onto Ploy’s plate. “Jim drove me here.”

“And Gun?” Ploy dare asked climbing up onto the chair. She looked almost reptilian to Pream as she clawed her way to sit at the table.

“They just returned from shopping when I stepped out.” Pream shrugged, “I didn’t get to see Gun just Charlie and Can.” Ploy drank all her water before letting out a sigh of relief. “How dehydrated are you?”

She was going to kill Can when she sobered up. She sniffed the air, but goodness, the fish smelled so delicious! She’s going to eat first before she beats Can’s ass.

Charlie was running around with the water hose helping the gardner water the plants. More like she was watering the gardener instead of the plants, Gun smiled. This was the kind of weekend he wanted. Good food, his daughter having fun-- and his mind focused on someone else instead of work. Can was sitting next to him playing some kind of app game on his iPad, curious he asked his cousin. “How come you don’t live at your house?”

“Just because I crash here so often doesn’t mean I don’t live at home.” Can said swiping this way and that on his device.

“I don’t mean your apartment, your actual house.”

Can shrugged, “it’s such a large house, why would I stay there alone?”

He saw his cousin give a silent cheer, it must've been another new score. “I don’t want to start sounding like our elders, but don’t you want to find someone to live with in that house?”

Can shrugged again, “Eventually I’ll settle down. But I think I want to settle down with someone who won’t assume I have money.”

“You’re a trust fund baby, who doesn’t know that?”

“The people in your circles know I come from money.I like people assuming you’re the rich cousin and I’m just taking advantage of it.” Can said placing his iPad down, “you already go through a lot being known as the owner of a large company-- you don’t see anyone hunting me down and trying to get me to walk down the aisle with them or their daughter.”

“Does Ploy know?” Gun asked sipping his coffee. It was back to tasting kind of strange, he’d give his best guess at shrimp oil or some kind of seafood flavor oil in it as he could see the glisten floating above as well.

“She thinks I’m leeching from you.” Can smiled. “But I don’t think she’d care if I had money in the first place. She seems to turn her nose often whenever some guy tries to offer her things superficial.”

“Have you heard from them this morning? They can’t be doing well with more wine last night.”

Can scoffed, “Pream seemed fine to me. Ploy on the other hand…”

“When did you see them?” Gun asked surprised. He was with Gun all morning and afternoon. Can pointed at his iPad, he was getting better at lying. “FaceTime?” His cousin nodded his head. “Why don’t you FaceTime them and see what they’re doing for dinner?”

“Again?” Can said smacking his forehead with his hand. “We just saw them last night!”

“You’re tired of seeing them?” Gun asked, surprised his cousin would be annoyed at the suggestion. “I thought we’d catch dinner out tonight since Charlie has been good and Sunday is a school night for her.” Can placed his head on the table and handed the iPad over to him.

Pream was washing the dishes when Ploy’s iPad rang. Blinking rapidly as the sound was causing her head to hurt again she punched the accept button, “what?!”

“Uh…”

“Gun?” Ploy asked picking her head up and pulling the iPad to be fully in front of her. Pream glanced over her shoulders from washing the dishes when she heard her husband’s name. “Do we have plans tonight?” She parroted then looked over at Pream who was wiping her hands, “I already have this weekend off-- slow week.”

Gun watched as her friend walked over and leaned over behind the couch and smiled at him with a wave. He waved back, unsure of what one really did when FaceTiming. He only video conferenced for work and saying goodnight to Charlie, back when she was accepting his video calls.

“Did you have something in mind?” Pream asked still leaning over the couch.

“Just dinner.” Gun smiled, “nice night to go out, it’s going to start getting cold eventually.”

“It’s not fancy is it?” Pream made a face. “I feel out of place in one of those restaurants.”

Ploy wanted to scratch her eyes out. “I second that, lets go somewhere that’s low key please. Aren’t you tired of seeing us all the time though?”

“Sure we could do low key, did you want us to pick you ladies up?” Gun asked frowning, “are you tired of seeing us?”

Pream shrugged and gave the iPad to Ploy, “you’re the one with Can’s car. And I don’t think I could get enough of the family.”

“My head is still killing me.” Can interrupted. All this talk might get her to say something they’d regret.

Charlie flounced over to her dad as he was chatting on her uncle’s device. Curious she went over to him to see Ploy with her pale, pale face. “What happened to P’Ploy, is she sick.”

Pream held her hand over her mouth and laughed. “No sweetie, she’s just a little… tired.” She reached again for the iPad and sat next to Ploy. “How was lunch?”

“The chicken was good!” Charlie said taking the iPad away from Gun as well. “Why are you and daddy FaceTiming?”

“Daddy suggested dinner tonight.”

Charlie’s eyebrows pinched together and looked at her Uncle’s beaten form over the table and saw that her own dad was studying her. “Sounds great!”

“DInner is in a few hours, I’ll be with Ploy, can you get ready without any fuss for your dad?”

Gun tilted his head at the iPad, again, what a weird thing to say. Or is it? No, it’s not that weird.

“Of course. Are we picking you up?”

“Not sure yet. We still have your uncle’s car.”

“Then we’ll pick you up!” Charlie smiled waved and signed off.

“You didn’t let us finish talking Charlie.” Her dad said as she gave him the iPad. “We haven’t decided where to go for dinner yet.”

His daughter shrugged. “I don’t think it matters to them. They mostly eat at home.”

“Smarty-pants.” Can said finally picking up his head. He watched Charlie run in to the house calling for her nanny. “She’s getting ready now. It’s amazing what can be done with your daughter after a few exchanges with Pream.”

“It is…” Gun said staring at the iPad on the table. “What did Pream mean when she said she couldn’t get enough of the family?”

Jan was looking out her car window when she noticed Gun was driving next to her Can was in the driver’s side. “Where are they off to now? Going out everyday?” Dao had reported back to her that Gun had a new beau. Pim didn’t say anything about her and Gun calling it off. She reached for her phone and called Can as Gun was driving.

He dropped the phone back in his lap. “Oh my god, it’s AUnt Jan.”

“Answer it.” Gun forgot he hadn’t called her back yet.

“Who knows what can of worms she’s going to unleash into my ears. I just want to get to the girl’s place and call it a night!” Can said handing the ringing phone to his cousin. Gun shoved it back to him, praying the light would turn green soon so that he wouldn’t have to answer the phone.

Charlie rolled her eyes from the backset, unbuckling her belt and grabbing the phone from the squabbling adults. “Charlie speaking.”

“Buckle your belt Charlie!” Gun and Can breathed out in relief.

She snapped her belt when the grandma asked why didn’t her uncle answer the phone. “He’s busy giving daddy directions.”

“Where are they going?”

Charlie pulled the phone out to look at it. “WE, she corrected are going to dinner. I have to go now grandma, we have to save the battery for Uncle Can’s Instagram.” She clicked to hang up but didn’t hand the phone back to them.

“What did I say about lying Charlie?” Guna lectured.

“Only for the greater good daddy.” Charlie leaned back in her seat and waited to arrive at the condominium.

“She has a point.” Can agreed, “I wasn’t going to answer the phone, if you’d answer she’d follow us to dinner, Charlie answering the phone was the better option.”

Gun’s phone rang now. “Oh my god. Make it stop.” Charlie screeched extending her hands out to him. Gun handed the phone to Can and Can handed the phone over to Charlie. “Grandma.” She said looking at the screen before answering. “We are trying to drive to dinner. You calling and scaring us in the car like this will cause daddy to get into a car accident. DO you want us in a car accident? Do you want Charlie to lose another parent?” Can held his mouth to cover his laughing out loud as he heard his aunt stammer on the other end. “Daddy, Uncle Can and I want a night of peaceful dining. You’re ruining our mood if you’re going to call and yell at daddy!”

The older woman pulled her phone away and blinked multiple times as a six year old continued to berate her.

“Now if it’s nothing important, I’d like to hang up again.” Charlie got ready to press the button when she heard the older woman yell out wait. “Yes ma’am?”

“Where are you having dinner at sweetie?”

Charlie rolled her eyes before answering, “grandma, I’m a kid, but I’m not a stupid kid. Why would I tell you so that you could follow us? Good-bye.” Charlie hmphed at the phone and also held on to the phone. She dared the adults to say anything to her when they turned to look. The little girl looked out the window and saw that the lady’s car was right next to them. “I’d do some crazy driving if I were you dad.”

Gun laughed, “and what makes you think I’d agree to that?”

“Your aunt’s car is to the side of you.”

Gun didn’t look but he asked Can to take a peek. “Your daughter is right.”

Charlie started giggling when her dad sped off once the light turned green.

Pream waited outside the door when Ploy checked the security system before locking up. “Why do you have so much security up in a condo?”

“I didn’t do it, Gun did.” Ploy answered tossing her keys into her purse as they walked down the hallway towards the elevator.

“That’s nice of him.” Pream said thoughtfully, “What made him do that? When I married and moved out?”

Ploy coughed then cleared her throat, “a few months before you left and got married.” Not a lie, but something like that. Ploy sighed. “I wonder where they’re taking us for dinner?”

lakornblog

sarNie Hatchling
Chapter Thirty One

“I don’t have a clue either.” Pream pouted. “It would be nice if I remembered  an inkling of something.” Her friend patted her back as they stepped out of the elevator. And once they stepped out of the elevator their wind was knocked right out of them when Charlie rushed them for a hug. “Hey darling.” Pream said running her hands through Charlie’s hair. “You act like we haven’t seen each other in a long time.” She laughed as Charlie hugged her again. Pulling some of Charlie’s hair strays out of the way, “goodness, your mane is a mess.” She adjusted Charlie’s barrettes. “Let me fix this before we get back into the car.” She gave Gun a side glance before walking Charlie over to a lounge chair in the lobby, “I don’t understand how your father can let you out of the house like this.”

Gun blinked multiple times unbelieving what he just heard. He pointed at Pream as he and Can followed the girls to the lobby, “did she just admonish me?” He was taken back a bit, “I’m Charlie’s dad, not her.”

“I’d say mother, not dad myself.” Can chuckled and went to stand near the girls as Pream braided Charlie’s hair into a waterfall braid. “Man, she’s good.”

“Why didn’t Mai do her hair like at the beach?”

Can looked over his shoulders, “with your daughter hyper than any kid on sugar, you think she’d sit still hearing she’s going to have dinner with two of her favorite people in the world?”

“Me and you?” Gun smiled.

Can rolled his eyes, “wrong.” Then pointed to Ploy playing with Charlie’s clip like an airplane as Pream finished up the braid for Charlie. “Those two.”

“Well now that’s just not right.” Gun said holding on to his chest again. That little pain is back. Seeing Charlie on Pream’s lap as she took care of his daughter’s appearance made his heart skip a beat, maybe even two. But then again, he might’ve been holding his breath. He came to when Ploy clapped him on the back and said they’re hungry. He shook his head and cleared his throat. “Great, me too.”

“So, where are you taking us?” Ploy asked as Charlie hopped on her back and gave her a piggyback ride to the car.

“Don’t worry, it’s not fancy.” Charlie smiled and bounced on Ploy like she was her horse. “You’re going to love it!”

Pream was trailing behind the group, “will I like it?” Everyone turned to look at her and just shrugged. “Thanks everyone.” She sighed as Gun unlocked the door. He opened the door for her in the front. “Can could sit in the front, I don’t mind sitting back there with Ploy and Charlie.”

“When a guy opens the door for you, you just take it.” Gun advised with a smile. “Chivalry is dead, it won’t be often a guy opens any door for any woman.”

She stuck her tongue out at him and got into the car as Can loaded Ploy into the back with Charlie in the middle for protection.

“Hey, isn’t that Pim’s boyfriend?” Someone asked as Gun pulled a chair out for Pream then Charlie to be in between them. Ploy was shoving Can so that she got the better seat for the view. The other girl said to take a picture and send it over to Pim.

“I can’t believe you brought us here!’ Ploy clapped her hands, “I’m so excited for the show!”

“Mermaids?” Pream whispered leaning over Charlie to ask Gun, “what makes you think this is low key?”

“You don’t have to dress up. That’s low key isn’t it?” He winked at her when Charlie started pointing out the new seasonal decorations. “Charlie loves anything mermaid right now.”

“She does?” Pream pondered, “I didn’t know that.”

Gun placed his arms over behind Charlie’s to better his lean towards Pream and whispered, “it’s fine. I’m sure you’d know it if you were yourself.” He released the back of the chair when the menu was brought over to them and the waitress introduced herself to them.

Ploy was leaning across the table to help Charlie with her kids’ menu word search and tic-tac-toe when Pream eyed the waitress checking Gun out, “Do I need to put my foot down again?”

Gun followed her line of sight to the waitress who was giving him a larger than usual smile and he cleared his throat. “Most of the time I don’t notice it.” He waved his hands dramatically, “but if you want to cause a scene, then by all means.” He grinned widely.

“You’re incorrigible.” Pream sighed flaring her nose at the waitress who had by then walked away.

He laughed as Pream stuck her nose into the menu. He was liking that someone was getting jealous for him, better yet, of him.

Pim looked at her phone when she received a text message from one of her friends. They asked if it was Gun-- she zoomed in on the picture and noticed Charlie was in the middle but they were leaning and talking to each other behind Charlie and they were both looking into each other’s eyes. “Who…” She looked closer and realized it was the ‘employee on medical leave’ girl from the beach. She quickly dialed Air, “he’s out having dinner with her right now!”

“Who is out with her? Who is her as well?” Air asked.

“Gun, he is out having dinner with that satanic daughter of his and that girl from the beach!”

“Carnival girl?”

“NO!” Pim shouted, “her friend!”

“Why are they having dinner together?”

Pim screamed, “I don’t know! Probably because they knew we would be out of the public’s eyes for awhile!”

“Well, who told you that they’re out together?” Pim explained the text message and picture. “Then why don’t you ask them to run interference?”

“Oh, you’re genius!”

When the salad came out Ploy scooped out her carrot bits to place onto Can’s plate. Can in turn scooped out his bacon bits to place onto Ploy’s. Gun frowned as they seemed to do this everytime. He looked between the two until Can noticed him. “What’s up cuz?”

Gun shook his head as he looked down into his salad plate and began eating. Charlie had her fruit bowl and was eating it as she whooped Ploy on the tic-tc-toe games. Pream looked down at her salad. Something wasn’t right, she flipped the lettuce leaf up and saw some rotten tomatoes in it. She pushed her plate a little to the side and called the waitress over. “Excuse me?” The girl was all smiles at Gun. He was still looking down at his salad bowl. “I’m sorry.” Pream snapped her fingers and waved her hands in front of the waitress. “Hi, yes.” Pream apologized, “I’m sorry, I didn’t mean to stop you from staring at my husband, but my salad is bad.” She showed her the rotten fruit and the waitress went to grab Pream another one.

Pream looked over at Gun who was shaking in his chair. “Gun, what’s wrong?” She leaned over behind Charlie to see that he was laughing, “I don’t see what was so funny.”

“You,” Gun said now laughing and holding on to his stomach, “you’re just so assertive.”

“Well, all I wanted was a good salad, she was too busy looking at you.” Pream pouted. “She could bring me my salad first then ogle you all she wanted, I wouldn’t have minded at all.”

He leaned back in his chair to smile at her, “are you going to be telling everyone that I’m your husband tonight?”

Pream shrugged, “if they act like they don’t see that you’re not the only one here at the table, then yes, I will tell everyone here at the restaurant, including the mermaids in the fish tank that I am your wife, your very angry and jealous wife.”

Ploy looked at the two from across the table, “what are you guys whispering about over there?”

Gun laughed, “she’s going to tell everyone here that she’s my very jealous wife.”

Can choked on his salad, “what?” He waited for the girl to drop off the salad for Pream who gave Gun a sly glance but not unnoticed by Pream and thanked her loudly to interrupt her crushing on Gun. Gun just grinned at Can and pointed in Pream’s direction. “Now I get it… I think.” He looked over at Ploy who was warily eating her salad now.

When their appetizers arrived they noticed a few girls approaching the table. Ploy made a disgusted face, “oh my god, are you guys gigolos on the side or something? All these girls’ won’t stop checking you out. Unabashed too might I ask.”

“Actually we’re friend’s of Pim.” The tallest one said, “we noticed that she wasn’t here with you…”

Pream was looking at all the girls, they were all gorgeous and model-like in stance-- they were giants compared to her and Ploy. “Who is Pim?”

Gun glanced over at Can. “Uh…” He scratched his head momentarily, “one of the girls who got inked on when we were at the beach.”

“Oh.” Pream said looking now at Gun, “the one you yelled at Charlie about?” He nodded his head. “I’m sorry again for what had happened. I’m sure it’s taken care of by now.”

The tall one placed her hands on her hips and rolled her eyes, “she’s been in hiding since that incident. Gave her a horrible rash.”

“Oh no!’ Pream covered her mouth, “was she allergic to seafood?” The giant girls nodded. “Well then, why was she at the beach?”

Can covered his mouth with the napkin from spitting his salad out as Ploy let hers out freely. Gun, she could tell, was holding in his laugh as well by staring at the water pitcher on their table, but the corner of his lips were trembling-- he wanted to laugh too.

“We just wanted to come by and introduce ourselves.”

“Yes, as Pim’s friends.” Pream nodded her head slowly, “and thank you.” She pointed at the waiters behind them, “but you’re blocking our appetizers from us.”

They huffed and scooted to the side. “Did you want us to introduce ourselves too?” Pream asked confused. “Is it that important that we know you?”

Ploy thought about that for a second. “Oh crap!” Everyone looked over at Ploy. “You guys are models!”

That’s funny Gun thought, again, he was not interested in any way. Can seemed to be interested as well.

Pream helped Charlie to some of the fried calamari when she noticed the girls surrounding the table again. “This is getting really awkward.” She looked at them, “are you guys hungry? Do we need to feed you?” She looked at them, “all skin and bones--seriously, do you ladies want a salad or something if you’re dieting?”

The tall one seemed to be the leader as she was about to speak up again but the announcer was letting them know that the water show was about to start soon and to be seated. Ploy and Charlie waved them off as Pream huffed.

“Why is this Pim girl sending her friends over to introduce themselves?” Pream questioned. “That’s really weird, right?”

“Shh!” Ploy shushed them. “Show is about to start!” She dried her face with the napkin, sweating so bad over this. She made sure they both were quiet now before looking at the water show.

Pream smiled when their meal came and she reached over to take the fish sticks off of Gun’s plate to give him her shrimps instead. He looked at her in amazement and then thanked her for doing so. He saw that she had four fish sticks now and all her shrimps resided in the plate with his. He took a sip of his water as Pream helped to cut Charlie’s food into bite size pieces.

“How’s your pasta sweetie.” Pream asked as she also cut the fettucini into smaller pieces. “The white sauce is good?” Charlie smiled with her cheeks full of food.

They all ate quietly as they watched the show in the tank. Women were in their mermaid costumes swimming around performing for a good half hour before they announced the next showing was every thirty minutes on and off again.

“I need to visit the girl’s room.” Pream excused herself as the waitress walked off with their dessert order.

“Oh! me too!” Ploy and Charlie said scooting their chairs out.

Gun looked over at Can, “I guess we’ll man the table until you ladies are back.”

“You going to be okay Charlie?” Pream asked as Charlie closed the stall on her face.

“I got it mom!” Charlie called back through the door.

She smiled and waited though, just in case Charlie needed her. Ploy came out of her stall and frowned, “I thought you had to go?

“Of course, but Charlie might need me.”

Ploy ushered her into the stall, “I got it. Don’t worry.” She was washing her hands when the models stampeded in. Looking through the reflection at them she slowly shook the water off her hands then grabbing the napkin. “Stilettos and mascara? Pft. I’m not afraid of you ladies.”

“Who are you really?” Again, it was the tall one.

“Ploy.” It was a simple answer, she placed both hands on her waist.

Charlie opened the stall to the Pim’s friends. She walked out to stand behind Ploy protectively. “P’Ploy. What’s going on?”

“It’s fine sweetie,” Ploy said urging the little one to wash her hands. “They won’t do anything to us here.”

Pream walked out of the stall to see the doorway blocked to exit. There were some other women behind them waiting to come in. She looked around then proceeded to wash her hands. “It’s getting kind of crowded in here.” She looked at the tall one as she shook the water from her hands. “If we’re about to brawl, let me know now so that there’s no witnesses.” She pointed to the ladies behind them. Then she placed two hands on Charlie’s shoulder, “also, I’d like to not have my daughter witness this.”

“Daughter?!” They all repeated. Ploy covered her eyes with her hands. “This is your daughter?!” They pointed at Charlie who nodded her little head. “Since when?”

Pream frowned, “she’s six years old now, so I’m guessing at least seven years? Give or take a few months in uterus.”

The girl’s turned to whisper amongst each other then moved out of the way to let Ploy, Pream and Charlie through. They walked out quickly as the other ladies ran in to use the restroom. “Who is this Pim lady? No. Really.” Pream asked as they sat back down at the table.

Gun frowned,”what happened?”

“Her friends tried to surround us in the ladies room.”

He looked over at the table they were at. Why would they do that?

lakornblog

sarNie Hatchling
Chapter Thirty Two

“It’s not cool.” Pream said frustrated now. “She and her model friends would’ve attacked us in front of Charlie.”

“Wait…”

“No!” Pream said pointing her fork at him as the dessert arrived. “You need to tell this Pim girl to chill out.” Gun held his hands up as if her fork would shoot a bullet at him. “I’m serious Gun! If that’s how she behaves around Charlie, I don’t want her around. She’s a very impressionable child!”

“Uh…” His hands were still up looking at Can for help. “I’ll let her know.”

“Who is Pim?” Pream asked as she forked her cake and groaned. “Oh man, this is so good.” She waited for Gun to answer her.

He gripped his napkin as she forked another piece of cake and making sounds that she probably didn’t think was inappropriate for dinner. She was going to be the death of him. Hopefully it’s a good way to die. “Gun?” Pream turned to wave at him, “GUN!” He jumped in his seat, he looked slightly confused, “who is Pim?”

Choosing not to answer her, he reached out to wipe a little cream off her lips. “Oh,” she blushed and grabbed a napkin to wipe her mouth.

“Here,” Ploy said scooping some of her pie to Pream’s plate and grabbing some of her cake. She smacked Can’s hand away when he tried to get some of her dessert.

Pream smiled as Charlie took another large spoonful of ice cream in to her mouth. She laughed as the whipped cream fell off the spoon and back into her bowl. Gun watched as Pream used a napkin to help wipe Charlie’s face.

Ploy placed her hands on her face when the models arrived again. “Oh my god, someone give them a runway to walk on so that could strut their stuff somewhere else.”

“Are you really Charlie’s mom?”

Gun’s eyes popped open, wow, Pream is taking this faux wife thing in front of other girls seriously.

“Yes.” Pream said slowly, one word at a time. “My. Husband. My. Daughter.” She waved her hands in the air, “please let me know which word you don’t understand.”

The girl opened her mouth then stopped to look at Gun who wasn’t correcting Pream. “She’s your wife?”

Gun shrugged. “She’s whatever she wants to be.” He reached in to scoop some of Charlie’s whipped cream when the model pointed at Pream. “She’s your wife?”

Ploy slammed her hands down causing Can to jump, “he just said she’s whatever she wants to be.”

“And right now.” Pream said turning her head slowly to them, “I want you ladies to leave us alone. This is a family dinner, and you are hushing our vibes.”

Charlie agreed pumping her little fist in the air with her spoon. Sprinkles and whipped cream splattered here and there. Mostly on the tall one’s cleavage.

Gun watched as the models stormed off and smiled at Pream. Wow. This woman, wow. A little possessive and a little crazy. But WOW was all he thought. He was no longer amused when his phone rang. Pim’s number showed up. Oh shit. Can made eye contact with him and he excused himself. Charlie was taking a bite of cake from Pream’s fork when he left the table.

“Pim.” He answered as he waited for the entrance door to close behind him.

“Cindy just told me you’re out there with a wife?!” She screeched.

“It’s not what you think.” Gun tried to reason. “Pream does this to get girls who are flirting with me to back down.”

“There are girls flirting with you?” Pim yelled this time.

Gun sighed. “Pim…”

“You listen to me closely Gun, it’s either me, or this fake wife!”

He thought about it for only a second. “I like my fake wife.”

“You’re telling me that you choose her over me?” He nodded his head at the phone as if she could see him. “You are clearly under the influence.”

“I only had water tonight.” Last night, Gun laughed to himself, would’ve been another story.

“I’ll give you until our picnic this weekend to get over this employee.” Pim cajoled. “Hopefully after we marry, your indiscretion would be hidden behind doors.”

Gun frowned-- he had never spoken of marriage before with Pim. “I don’t remember suggesting that we marry.”

“Please, the elders are talking about it.” Pim said as she filed her fingernails and buffed it. “We only need a good announcement and a holy date.”

He shook his head, “I don’t think you understood me Pim.” He let out a large sigh and couldn’t believe he was saying this, “but I already told you. I choose Pream.”

“What!?” Pim shrieked. He held the phone away from his ears and a couple walked by to stare at him, they could hear her from where they stood.

He felt nothing but relief when he hung up on her. Grinning with a wide smile he walked back in to find his wife and daughter taking selfies. Gun sat down and watched the make faces into the camera lens. Pream eventually noticed he returned. “Was that a work call?”

“No.” He smiled.

“It looked important.” She said handing her phone to Charlie who continued to take her own selfie.

Gun reached out to tuck back a loose strand of Pream’s hair as she was called back by Charlie for another picture. “Uncle Can!” Charlie hollered as he and Ploy were trying to arm wrestle each other at the table. “Could you please hurry up and lose to P’Ploy and take our picture please?”

He got distracted and looked across the table losing to Ploy. She pumped her little arms into the air with the surrounding table clapping for her. He’s never going to live this down. “What’s up squirt?”

“Picture.” Charlie said handing the phone over to him.

Ploy leaned next to Can as the camera was still self-facing. “Selfie time!” They took a few silly pictures before Charlie reminded them it was supposed to be of her, Pream and Gun. They laughed and took a few extra shots before taking one of Charlie in the middle between Gun and Pream smiling above her little head. Ploy took the phone from Can when he he accidentally snapped the one when his hand hit the volume button. She looked up from the camera to Gun and Pream who were now back to eating their dessert.

“Can.” She said softly as Charlie reached for the phone. “What have we done?”

He looked up from his dessert plate, “what are you talking about?”

Pream looked over her shoulders and Can was playing on his phone and Ploy was playing on the iPad with Charlie. “Gun?”

“Yea?” He wasn’t taking his eyes off the road.

“Do you mind if Charlie stays the night at the condo?”

Gun frowned, “you want her to stay over?”

“If you don’t mind.” Pream smiled. “She looked like she could use some female companionship.” Pream smiled as Ploy tickled Charlie. “Ploy wanted some DIY mani-pedi tonight. We were talking about it in front of Charlie, we didn’t want her to feel left out as we planned it and she’s going home with you after we were chatting. So....” She blinked and batted her eyelashes at him.

It was odd as girl’s usually did that to flirt with him and get their ways. Yet this woman is using her wiles to get him to agree to let his daughter hang out with her. No other woman had done this. Now that he thought about it. Pream, before her accident had always put his daughter first.

“What do I get out of it?” Gun asked with a hopeful smile.

“You get another night out with Can. Hopefully, he’ll keep his clothes on this time.” Pream smiled. “And your nanny would be happy to get a night off.”

“You don’t mind taking her in for the night Ploy?” Gun asked as he stared at Pream stopping at the red light.

Ploy snorted, “heck no!” Charlie and she high-fived each other. “movie night, gossip and nail polish?”

“Gossip? She’s six, what juicy tidbits can she give you?” They pulled up to walk the girls back to the condo. “You promise to be good Charlie?” Gun asked as she raced Ploy to the elevator with Can right behind them.

“So.” Pream said as they closed in on the other three, “who is Pim?”

Gun smiled and tilted his head at her, “no one special.”

Pream frowned a bit but her smile remained. “If you say so.”

They got into the elevator and watch Charlie and Ploy prank Can. Once they got into the condo Gun went to check on the security system to the side.

“Does he always do that?” Pream asked pointing at Gun as he scanned the video setup.

Ploy shrugged, “he rarely comes here, I guess he’s just seeing if I messed it up.”

“Oh.” Pream said when Charlie ran into the room.

“P’Ploy! You got new nail polishes!” She squealed in delight grabbing a nail polish bottle in each hand. “Good night dad!” Charlie called out causing him to look away from the computer.

“I just got here Charlie.”

“I want girl’s night out too!” The little girl pouted.

Pream smiled and patted Charlie’s head, “how about we ask him to leave politely.” She then turned to see Can asleep on the couch. “And wake your uncle up nicely.” She squeezed her eyes shut when Charlie ran and jumped right onto Can causing him to grunt in pain. “I did try to tell her.”

Gun helped pull Can up and headed out the door. “Call us if anything.”

Charlie nodded her head jumped to give him a tight hug, then he leaned down to let her kiss his cheeks. “Goodnight daddy!” She gave Can a quick hug as well. “Bye Uncle Can!”

Pream walked them to the door, “you don’t need to worry about Charlie, we’ll swing by tomorrow when she’s good and ready to go.”

Gun leaned against the door jamb and looked down on her smiling. “We could always make the trip here for Charlie.”

“You could.” Pream smiled wider, “but we have Can’s car still and need to return it somehow.”

Can groaned at the reminder, “fill up my gas tank too Ploy!”

Laughing Pream closed the door, “good night guys, get home safely.

“So” Can asked leaning the passenger seat back and then down. “Who called you during dinner?”

“Pim.”

“Ouch. The models must have had a mouthful for her.” Can looked over at him, “what’s going to happen now?”

Gun shrugged, “nothing. Whatever we had together, it’s over.”

Can let out a, “WHAT?”

“She assumed we were getting married. I never once expressed any intent for marriage…”

“What got you to end that so quickly?”

“She mentioned elders and holy date.”

Can tsked, “whatever Charlie’s mother did to you, she sure did a large number to not want you to be committed to anyone anymore.”

“Who said I’m not interested in anyone?” Gun asked with a sneaky smile. “I am interested in someone.”

“No way…” Can said frowning as he pulled out his phone to look at his Instagram feed. Is it who I think it is?” Pream had posted a picture from tonight’s dinner.

The caption read-- Magic wasn’t only in the water with the mermaids.

The picture had Charlie smiling widely and innocently into the camera as Gun and Pream were looking at each other over her little braided head.

“Hey Gun?” His cousin glanced over quickly then back on the road. “If I did something really, really stupid. Would you forgive me?”

“Did you screw my company over or something?”

Can shook his head and pinched the bridge of his nose, “no, nothing like that. Nothing with money or work or anything way up there.”

“Then what is it?” Gun asked as he continued to drive home. “Did you murder someone?”

“Of course not!” Can said frowning, “I didn’t kill anyone. Never mind.” He gave up and closed his eyes as his cousin drove home.

Pream looked at Charlie as she was fanning her newly polished finger nails and watching Ploy paint her little toenails with pink polka dots. She stared at her photo with Charlie and Gun and saved the photo as her lockscreen and wallpaper. She was going to make this marriage work.

Bieluvr

XiaojuXiyou
Oh, my cheeks are hurting from all this smiling. Gun and Pream are getting so romantic and its funny that Gun thinks Pream is just playing. Update soon. :)

danounagirl

sarNie Egg
i just love her "My daughter. My husband" , she knows how to handle him and his daughter  and i'm glad to see that Gun is seeing that and gradually falling for her
and i'm dead curious to know how things are going to change when one of them will know the whole deception
will Gun know first? will he continue the charade or get angry with her?
how will she take the truth? and what will she do if she was the first to know?
i have a lot of questions and only u got the answers

lakornblog

sarNie Hatchling
Chapter Thirty Three

“I’m going to be up in my study.” Gun said looking at the clock again. Charlie and the ladies called Can and said they were going to grab dinner before they headed home. He had to prep for tomorrow’s workload. He’s ready to be near home again. Heck he was ready to be home again and debated on selling his condo across town. “Can?”

His cousin happened to be walking by with his iPad when his Gun hollered for him. “Yes?”

“Do you know where the girls are at?” Gun asked flipping through his documents and folders.

Can shrugged, “I’m not their keeper/” Gun just gave him a look of yeah-right. “What? I’m not!”

“Don’t you usually stalk them on Instagram or something?”

Slapping his head like he totally forgot, Can grinned and stood to the side of Gun. “Your daughter’s nail polish is now light pink.” He looked at his cousin then, “I thought she wasn’t allowed to paint her nails during school session?”

“Yeah, the rate we’re paying them, I’m sure Charlie’s nails are the least of their worry.” Can scrolled along some more and paused. “What?”

“Are you okay with your daughter getting a haircut?”

“What?!” Gun said grabbing the iPad from him. “Why didn’t she ask me for permission?”

Can picked up Gun’s phone. “When did you turn it off?”

He had forgotten that he had turned it off when Pim and his aunt kept tag-teaming him to find out who his ‘wife’ really was.

“Ploy probably called to ask and left you a message.” Can tossed the phone back onto the desk when he noticed Gun focusing his attention on the device. “What are you looking at?”

Gun didn’t own an Instagram account, but he had used Can’s enough to find a tagged photo. He was surprised that his cousin photographed him when he had caught Pream’s eyes over his daughter’s head during dinner the night before. She was looking at him adoringly in the photo as well. Automatically he placed his hand over his chest. There goes that little pain again. “Can?” Catching his cousin’s attention, “has Pream remembered anything since her accident?” His cousin shook his head, “have you guys tried reminding her?”

“Of course.” Can harrumphed, just been putting in some new facts here and there. Can avoided his cousin’s eyes. “I’m going to catch a nap real quick.” He faked a yawn and slipped out with his iPad.

Gun turned in his chair and went back to work.
 ​

“Hey Can.” Pream smiled and waved as Charlie ran into the house with her shopping bag and new, shorter hair cut.

“Gun liked her with long hair.” Can said scratching his head and yawning. The nap sure did feel good. His eyes bulged when Ploy slapped his stomach with his car keys. “Thanks. Did you fill the gas tank?” She rolled her eyes then looked around the house. It was quieter than usual. “Gun fell asleep at his desk.”

Pream frowned. “I’m going to make sure Charlie showers before bedtime.”

Can nodded his head pointed at the door for Ploy, “come on, I can’t be here all day. I want to sleep in my own bed too.”

“But…” Ploy pointed up at the stairs.

“When Gun sleeps, he’s out for the night.” He said ushering her out of the house. “Come on!”

Pream patted Charlie’s hair with the towel as the little girl read her a story from her new book. She’d help here and there when Charlie couldn’t say the word. Her daughter yawned loudly when she glanced at the clock. “Let’s get to bed, I have a meeting with your school tomorrow in regards to the field trip and seeing what they need help with.” Charlie hopped in to her lap and gave her a hardy hug. “I’ll give you ten more minutes before you have to go to bed.” Pream patted her head and smiled at Mai, “lights out in ten please.” The nanny also smiled and nodded her head then began rummaging with Charlie to look at her new toys. She closed the door behind her after a quick look to make sure that Charlie was playing with Mai.

Sighing she stretched her arms this way and that. Then looked down the hallway when she heard a loud thud. Poking her head in to Gun’s study she saw that he was indeed asleep on at his desk. His elbow might’ve knocked one of the folders down when he adjusted his arms to sleep with his head in the crook of an elbow. She looked around the desk at how messy the papers were and picked a few up, minus the ones under him and the folder that fell from the ground. Shivering a little she looked down and saw there was goosebumps on his arms. Pream smiled and walked over to grab a throw from the couch nearby and placed it over him. Smiling mischieviously, she placed a kiss on his cheeks and stepped back out of the room.

Before stepping in to her room she double-checked on Charlie. She was already in bed with the blanket drawn up to her chin with her new doll and Mai was cleaning up the toys around the floor. She thanked Mai before closing the door-- note to self: make sure Charlie starts doing chores.

Gun rubbed his neck and glanced at the clock. it was already late. Did Charlie come home yet? He sat up straighter and felt the blanket slide off of him. Who had placed a blanket on him? He looked around as the staff knew not to come into his study. He frowned tossing the throw back on to the couch. He yawned seeing that his desk was cleaned up. Too lazy to care with now, he’ll just wake up early to finish the rest of it. He stretched as he walked to Charlie’s room. He noticed Mai jump when she saw him in the hallway.

“Good evening sir.” She looked down the other hallway.

“Good night Mai.” He followed her line of gaze, “something wrong?”

Mai shook her head quickly and walked down the stairs. His staff is starting to behave oddly. He opened the door to see Charlie asleep and hugging what appeared to be a new doll. She was also smiling in her sleep. Kneeling down he gave her a peck on her cheeks and ran his hand down her new haircut. No one was able to convince her to trim her hair before. He stroked the short strands, and here she was, happy to get a haircut. He shook his head and sighed. He wondered what Pream was doing now?
 ​
 ​
She sniffled and hit the clock to turn off the alarm. Another week has begun! She yawned and stretched in bed before throwing on a robe to keep her warm from the chilled air and headed downstairs. It was going to be a busy Monday.

Pream opened the fridge then closed it again. She forgot her phone upstairs. She’ll need the alarm to remind her when she had to wake her daughter up. Glancing at the microwave clock, she turned the lights back off and walked the back stairs from the kitchen to her room.

Gun rubbed his eyes as he stepped in to the kitchen, he thought he heard someone in here and was going to ask for coffee. Might as well, they might put salt, oil or liver in his coffee again. His daughter had made him an enemy to his own house staff. He yawned into his hands and began making his own coffee. When he finished, Gun turned off the light and walked back to his study with the coffee in hand to finish the rest of his work. It was only 3:30AM. Sleep, what’s sleep anyway? Work was more important. He laughed to himself at his sarcasm.

Sniffing the air, when she walked back in had a hint of coffee, Pream frowned, coffee? She looked at the coffee canister. When was it left open? Shaking her head she closed the lid, the freshness if left open last night would have been affected. She’ll add coffee to her list when she grocery shops after dropping Charlie off at school. She added a few alarms on her phone as a good reminder to her: wake Charlie up, leave for school, meeting with the school at noon and pick Charlie up from school. She smiled and placed the phone down and turned on a little music to keep her entertained as she danced around in the kitchen.

Rubbing his neck tiredly a few hours later, Gun walked out of his room looking a bit more refreshed and a smelled a bit more like he drowned in body wash when he showered. He walked up to the table and breakfast was laid out. Glancing to the left and to the right, he sat down and eyed the food suspiciously. He grabbed his fork and picked a piece of the breakfast from his plate and a little taste. Prepared for whatever evil taste will take over his tastebuds. Surprisingly, it tasted delicious.Smiling at his plate, maybe his staff forgave him already for being so harsh with Charlie. He sighed happily with a good home-cooked meal that he haven’t had in a long while. Patting his stomach he spotted Jim around the hall and waved him to bring his car around.

Jim smiled and rushed to bring him his car. Boy, the boss was surely in a good mood this morning.

Pream combed Charlie’s hair as her daughter read another story from her book of fairytales. “Breakfast is getting cold,” Pream smiled and adjusted her little black bow one more time. “Let’s hit the road before traffic hits.” Charlie read one last page and headed downstairs with Pream holding her hands.

They arrived to Sonny clearing a plate off the table. “Did Gun already leave?”

Jai walked out with Noun to set up their plates. “Yes ma’am.”

“If I knew he was going to get up this early, I would’ve had Charlie hurry so we could carpool.” She scooted her chair in not noticing the exchange Charlie gave the housekeeper.

The driver walked by towards the kitchen, “did you have breakfast yet Jim?”

“No ma’am.”

“Grab a lot of breakfast, I have almost back to back errands, don’t want you to faint on me.” Prem smiled as Jim quickly went in to the kitchen for food.

“Why didn’t you wake us up ma’am?” Jai asked as she waved for Sonny to pour their drinks.

Pream just smiled. “I couldn’t really sleep last night, so I thought I could get a jumpstart on things.” She pulled out a notepad for her shopping list. “Could you double-check the list for me to see if there was anything else we needed for the house?”

The housekeeper continued to berate her for not asking for help until they all left in the car.

“Purse, phone, backpack.” Pream waved Charlie into the car and waved to the household staff. Charlie leaned her head on Pream’s shoulder as she shot out a text to Can. “Jim, can you take me to Can’s right after we drop Charlie off?”

“Yes ma’am.” Pream patted Charlie head as she nuzzled in the crook of her arms. “Please be good today? You’re on a roll and I have to meet with the school later. It’d be nice to walk in and wonder if you’ve done anything to any of the other students.”

Charlie held her hands up boy-scout style and promised to be good.

After waving Charlie off to school she and Jim swooped to Can’s apartment. Jim volunteered to wait in the car as she walked up and entered through the lobby. Looking around as she waited for the elevator she noticed some guys looking at her as she pressed the elevator button. They ran in as well. She was on her phone texting with Can still when one of them approached to talk to her. She scooted to the corner when they became a little more aggressive. “Look, I’m married-- I’m not playing hard to get at all.”

“We don’t see any rings on you.”

Pream placed her hands on her hips. “I have a six year old daughter and a husband that works all the time. With the way you guys are badgering me, does it look like wasting money on a ring would stop you from talking to me?” Well, that shut them up. When the elevator dinged open she walked quickly to knock on Can’s door.

Can opened the door to four guys standing behind Pream. “Are you guys bothering my cousin-in-law?” The guys raised their hands and said no before walking away. “I told you to send Jim up.” He looked out into the hallway before closing the door. “I’m almost done.”

Pream sat down looking around his apartment. There was a lot of stuff in the living room. She picked up a frame from a table next to her. “Your parents?”

“Yea.” Can said peeking out of his room.

“They passed away?”

“A long time ago.” He answered from the room.

“I’m sorry.”

“Don’t be.” He laughed, “It was a long time ago, you couldn’t stop the from dying anyway.”

Pream looked at the frame next to it and replaced it for another. She saw the photo of a pair of children with their arms locked around each other’s neck and laughing into the camera. “Is this you and Gun?”

Without having to look he answered, “yea, we’re inseparable.”

“You guys looked happy.” Pream placed that frame down and got up to look at another picture that was on a shelf nearby. There was a woman holding a baby. “Who is this?” She asked picking up the frame to study it better.

“Who?” Can asked placing his wallet into his back pocket before looking over the frame. “Oh.” He said quietly. “Don’t worry about her.”

Pream placed the frame back, “I’m sure it’s important, or else you wouldn’t have the frame up here.”

Can smiled sadly, “I didn’t want her picture, I wanted the baby’s picture.” He tilted his head, “I swear, she’s nothing more than an unwanted relative.”

“What a mean thing to say.” Pream said frowning. “Am I an unwanted relative?”

“Of course not.” Can said turning her around so they could step out of the apartment, “you’re just the one I’m stuck with.”

“Har-har.” Pream fake laughed at him, “I think you’re just using me to get to Ploy anyway.”

It was his turn to fake laugh, “please, anyone with that girl has got to be cursed.” They got to the elevator and saw the OUT OF SERVICE sign.

“Well, that sucks.” Pream said as Can scratched his head. “Let’s get started. Which way is the stairway?”

“I”m sorry, I didn’t think today would have a broken elevator on the obstacles list.”

Pream laughed, “don’t worry about it. We’ll think of it as a morning stretch.” She saw him holding tight to a manila folder, “Whatchu got there?”

“Paperwork for your ID-- then we’re swinging by the bank right?” Can asked as she studied his demeanor. “What?”

“You seem nervous.”

Can shook his head, “no, I’m just tired.”

“Oh, then we can do this another day if you like.” Pream said smiling. “I can go another day or two without an ID or a bank account.”

“I had the HR team fax over the paperwork for your medical leave. We could get them to deposit those into your bank account weekly.” Can said shrugging.

lakornblog

sarNie Hatchling
Chapter Thirty Four

Once they got into the car he leaned his head back. He had spent most of the night with Ploy on what to do about Pream’s bank account. She had the information that they found in the condo-- but they needed to reflect a girl with money. Or someone who had married into money.

She looked at the paper Can handed to her. “I still have my maiden name?”

“You’re modern.” Can replied still with his eyes closed.

“And I still use the address I lived with Ploy?”

“All your paperwork was that address, it was easier to verify that way.” He opened up one eye, “but if you want to put the house, I don’t see how that would be a problem.” Luckily the servants get the mail, not Gun.

“What about my bank account?” Pream asked as she handed the paper back to Can, “hopefully I could get a temp ATM card for the time being. I’m not a fan of using a credit card.”

Can shrugged, “we’ll see how it goes.” While she makes her new card and wait in line, he’ll swing by the bank and speak to an old friend.

Can smiled and shook hands with his friend. It took a lot of convincing but his friend was willing to deposit a large check into Pream’s account immediately. Also, he had a new bank account too-- the favor his friend asked in return was to open a large checking account with him. He scratched his head as Pream walked in with Jim, “why can’t you ask for gold, expensive wine or a new car like everyone else Tum?”

“Because I work for a living, unlike you rich fiends.” Can knew he was kidding, but it hurts sometimes when your friend take advantage of how rich your are. “So you must be Pream!” He waved her to a chair. “Alright, so Can tells me here that you need a new ATM card-- now he already gave me your deposit slips about your medical leave checks. That’s a lot of uncashed check you had lying around.”

Pream frowned and looked at the folder the banker was handing to her. “I didn’t realize I had uncashed checks?”

“The one for your medical leave.” Can cleared his throat.

“Oh.” She opened them to look, “I guess it doesn’t hurt to deposit all my checks.” She handed the folder back, “will I be able to get a temp ATM card for the time being?”

“Of course.” He waved her down for a seat across from him, “alright. Give me a moment to update all your files and the checks-- could you please sign the back of all of them please?” He flipped them all over for her and she signed one by one. “Now these checks you’re signing won’t be available to your funds immediately.” He gave a sneaky laugh, “man, aren’t you lucky to be with someone rich.”

Pream looked up from her signing her check, “I guess…?” She wasn’t sure what to say to that. “Could I get a summary of my account?”

Can cleared his throat and asked for water. Behind Pream he shook his head and made a slicing motion at his throat. “I could get you a balance statement if you’d like.” Tum said scratching his ear, “at least you’ll know if you’ve gone over your spending limits or not.” He laughed at that, “although, shopping everyday for the next ten years won’t make you broke anyways.”

Can sighed as Jim wiped the sweat off his own forehead. The driver leaned in to Can, “how much did you deposit into the madam’s account?”

“Enough to pay her damages for messing with her brain should she ever remembers who she really is.”

Jim scratched his head, “what a rich miss she is.” They looked back as Pream was setting up her PIN number.

“Alright, we have your temp card here now.” He handed it to her and Can could see dollar bill signs in Tum’s eyes. “I’ll see you all later!” He waved them off with a large smile. Once they disappeared he pouted, “man. Lucky, lucky girl. Doesn’t even know sugar daddy is giving her money.” He tilted his head and studied Can’s butt. “What I wouldn’t give to be her with him right now.” He growled and bit into his knuckles.

Pream looked out the window at the building. “Wow. Is this where you work?”

Can opened the door for Pream, “your workplace too.” He asked Jim to wait for a bit and went to go find parking. “Come on, I’m sure the colleagues miss you.”

Gun looked up from his parking spot when he noticed Can walking in with Pream into the building. “I thought he was doing a half day today?” He checked his watch. Crap, he’d been re-reading his paper for the past hour or so not realizing time flew by. He got out of the car and followed them in to the building. He turned his head slightly, that can’t be Jim, can it? He shook his head, no, Jim was at home.

“You think the coworkers miss me?” Pream asked adjusting her dress and purse strap. He opened the door and waved for her to walk in. They nodded at the doorman who bowed when Pream walked by. “Okay, tell me, what do I do here?”

“Marketing. Remember?” Can asked as he pressed the elevator button.

She looked around, “this place feels familiar.”

“But do you remember anything?” Can asked worriedly.

“No, I just feel comfortable here.” She smiled. “Like when I’m at home. It makes me feel like I belong.”

Odd, Can thought as they got into the elevator.

“So where are we going first?” She waited for the elevator to ding open first then stepped out looking this way and that. “Lead the way.” She smiled as Can took her to her old desk. There was a lot of folders and stapled packets resting on it. “Oh my…” She pointed at it, “do I normally leave my desk messy and full of work?”

An old lady from behind her laughed, “of course not. They just ended up using your desk to store things.” She snapped her fingers at someone walking by. “How are you feeling dear? Good enough to come back to work already?”

Pream shook her head weakly, “no ma’am.” She waved at Can, “he’s just showing me around.”

“Still nothing?” Can asked. Pream shook her head and waved by to everyone else they headed back into the elevator when they head Gun’s voice. Can wanted to smack his head on the elevator doors. “What are you doing here?”

“I thought you were doing a half-day so I brought these to you to look at-- saving you some time instead of getting here then driving to my building.” Gun looked from smiling Pream to a scared Can. “What are you guys doing here?”

Pream spoke up first, “Can wanted to show me the work place. See if it would jog any memories.”

“And?” She shook her head sadly. He patted her arms, “don’t worry, it’ll eventually come to you.” He handed Can the papers. “So you’re done with your errands then?”

Pream nodded her head, “yes, thank you for sparing Can. I got my ID and ATM all set at the bank.” Her phone alarm went off. “Oh shoot, I got to run, meeting with the faculty.” She waved by to everyone as Gun turned to follow her as she got into the elevator.

“What faculty?” Gun asked once the elevator closed. “Is she going back to school?”

Can shook his head, “I don’t know.” He avoided his cousin’s eyes. “Did you grab lunch yet? I’m starving.”

“Quit trying to change the subject.” Gun smacked Can in the back, “come on, I am hungry though.”

Pream came back out of the school with another list in her hand. “All of this by Friday?” She needed to make animal masks for four classes-- a hundred masks in total. Jim opened the door for her. “Where’s the first stop ma’am?”

“The hospital. I feel faint.” She said dramatically. “Then we need to go to the arts and craft store.” She showed Jim the list after he buckled himself in. It contained the student's name and what kind of animal they liked. “How well do you think Noun and Sonny are with paint?”

Jim laughed. “Don’t worry miss. I think all we need is your friend Ploy and mister Can could do the rest.”

“Well then, let’s hit the grocery store.” Pream said stretching her legs. “we have to get to the art store after that.” She thought about that and rephrased it, “wait, the art store first. Who knows how long I’d be there for.”

An hour later Jim and Pream left the store with bags of paper, brads, blue stick and paint. In those bags were also mask ideas. Thank goodness for crazy hobby people who make designs and patterns. “Alright Jim, to the grocery store.”

By the time they finished it was time to pick up Charlie again. “Jim, I feel old.”

“You’re not old ma’am, but I am.” He laughed as Pream stretched her arms and patted them like they were muscle-strained. “Here comes the little miss.”

“Mom!” Charlie bounded off the last step into Pream’s arms. If Jim hadn’t  held on to her back, she would’ve toppled over. She took a deep breath as if she was breathing Pream in. “I heard you’re making our masks!”

“Yes.” Pream said dryly, “all hundred of them. Punishment, I believe, for having such an adorably horrible daughter terrorize the school.” Charlie just grinned up at her and shrugged then gave her another big hug. “And no all is forgiven.” Pream hugged her tightly, “homework, then we’ll start cutting out the patterns.” Jim opened the door for them, “now, how does this student know what animal a stoat is? No. Really. What’s a stoat?”

Charlie laughed and hopped into the car digging into the arts and crafts bag as Pream followed behind. Charlie flipped through the pattern book as Pream texted Ploy and Can about the masks and needing their help. And just laughed at the two as they bickered through her phone screen.

Ploy: Is there food?
Can: When isn’t there food with you?
Ploy: Shut up and get back to work slave!
Can: Shut up and sip your wine.
Ploy: You’re just jealous you don’t get to drink on the job.
Can: Someone needs AA.
Ploy: Another Alibernet, sounds like a plan.
Can: Only you can list wine when AA is mentioned.

“What are you smiling at?” Gun asked as he placed away the folders in his shoulder bag.

Can turned his phone screen off. “Nothing.”
“Yea, right.” Gun eyed him suspiciously. “You chatting with Ploy?”

“Maybe.” Can said as he looked down at his watch. “Are you going to make it back across town in time?”

Gun nodded his head, “I can drive there in time.”

Can noticed Gun behaving oddly, “what is it?”

“I just feel like I miss Charlie more than usual.”

“When don’t you miss that little booger?” Can smiled. “She’s doing good now, and you know it.”

“Her school hasn’t called me lately.”

His younger cousin laughed, “it’s always a good thing.” Gun frowned in contemplation. “Believe me, I’m sure your nanny or housekeeper would say something if you’re daughter did something out of the ordinary.” Besides taking a whole adult and brainwashing her into thinking she’s her mom, his niece had been otherwise behaving well.

“I’ll call you when I get back to my desk.” Gun rubbed his neck, “I can’t wait to be back home. I feel like I don't even know what’s going on anymore in my own home.”

You have no idea, Can thought as he clapped his cousin on the back and walked him down to his car. He was waving bye to Gun as he drove off when his phone alert went off again. Ploy sent him an emoji of a winky face sticking out it’s tongue and a wine glass. He laughed walking back into the building and sent her a smiley pile of poop in return.

Pream counted the sheets as it came out of the printer. Then scanned in another pattern and walked away from the all-in-one. “Well, benefits of having someone who needs this fancy thing for work. Right?” She winked at Charlie as they handed the sheets to Noun, Mai and Jim. Ploy was on coloring and decorating duty with Charlie. “You guys going to be good, I’ve got to check on dinner.”

“You had me at dinner.” Ploy grinned as she and Charlie mock-battled a sword fight with the glitter stick. They were halfway finished with printing and cutting the pattern. One glitter dried and puff paints were no longer wet, they would lay them out and glue them to the fat ice cream sticks. It looked like it was only today that they would get to decorate and cut. Her phone rang and Charlie was able to knock down the glitter from Ploy’s hand, “crap.” The she greeted a, “hey, what’s up?” She kept a close eye on charlie when she decorated a gold fish with some of the sparkles. “Tonight?” SHe rolled her eyes, “sure, who doesn’t love a last minute company party on a Monday night?” She was still tired from her first shift at the cafe. “Yea, sure, I’ll be there.” Huffing to blow the bangs out of her eyes she had Mai keep her eyes on Charlie as she went to find Pream. “I have to go.” She pouted as Pream stirred the chow mein. “Is that pork barbeque in there?”

“It’s not homemade, but the deli nearby had some really delicious pork just hanging there.”  Pream twisted her lips, “did you want me to pack some to go for you?”

Ploy jumped and hugged Pream from behind, “you’re such a doll! And for that, I am going to spend my last hour here supervising Charlie and her decorations!” When Pream gave her a look, “okay, I’ll help too.” She waved bye to Pream and bounced back out to find the others. She bounced by Jai and waved at the elderly lady as well before continuing to make her way to Charlie.

“What do you think of this one?” Charlie asked holding up a pink horse mask. Can shook his head, “but it’s pretty!”

“I don’t think your guy friend would appreciate a pink horse mask.” He said placing her hands down. “Tell you what. How about you make that one for Ploy.”

Ploy with her hands on her hips rolled her eyes, “just because I’m a girl, doesn’t mean I like pink horses.” She eyed him, “aren’t you the one who likes pink unicorns?”

Charlie laughed and found some scrap paper to cut out into a little horn to glue onto the pink horse.

“Look what you’ve done.” Can said as Charlie placed a little sticker gem right above the horn as well.

Ploy laughed and started decorating his face with sticker gems. “When did you get here?”

“I just got here.”

lakornblog

sarNie Hatchling
Chapter Thirty Five

“No duh,” Ploy said as she stuck a red ruby like sticker on the tip of his nose, “what took you so long to get here?”

Can started peeling some off and placing them on Ploy too, “if you recall, this little munchkin had me take her friend to make her ID then to take her to the bank.”

“How did it go with the bank?” Ploy asked as he placed stickers on her earlobe as she started to line the stickers above his eyebrows, giving him a double purple brow.

“Tum asked me for a favor in return.” Can said then shrugged, “everything else was smooth sailing.”

“How’d you manage to get money into Pream’s account without her being suspicious?”

Can found blue gem stickers to make into a mustache above Ploy’s lips, “I just asked that he deposit the money in as cash.”

“That's funny,” Ploy said as she decorated on of his eyes too look like a clown’s sad eye, “Gun won’t notice you using some of his money?”

Can paused in her little gem goatee on her chin and just smiled at Ploy. She’s smart at everything else, and just don’t realize that he’s rich enough to not have to use Gun’s money-- so he sidestepped the question, “wouldn’t you think we’d be caught by now if he was so smart?”

“True.” Ploy said scratching her chin under her goatee causing Can to laugh as she looked like a thinking man.

Charlie handed Can the pink unicorn mask and went back to decorating the mask.

“Oh!” Ploy said handing the glue stick to Can, “since you’re here, you can take-over decorating duty.”

Can scanned the masks that were done, “good timing too, none of these mask have masculine touches to them.”

Ploy smacked him in the arm as Pream came out with a pre-packed tupperware. “Thanks Pream!”

Pream looked down at the table, “you guys are good.”

“I haven’t even started yet, it’s going to be better!” Can said as he was coloring a horse mask in brown.

Pream then looked at Can and Ploy, “oh my god, what happened to your faces?”

“Is it that bad?” Ploy asked smiling as Can placed his face next to hers for Pream to judge, “I thought I did a good job on him.”

“I thought I did a good job on her too.”

Pream only rolled her eyes when they brought out their phones and began a selfie-battle. She stroked Charlie’s hair and adjust the barrett so that it would hold her side bangs away from her eyes as she colored and decorated. “Are you staying for dinner Can?”

“Of course.” He said as he helped Ploy to take the stickers off her face. “This jerk had me hungry when all she texts about is food and what she plans on eating.” Ploy stuck her tongue out as Can took off the last sticker from her face.  “Where are you going anyway? I thought today was your evening off?”

“When you have two jobs, you really don’t have an evening off unless they don’t call you.”

“So then, don’t answer your phone.” Can replied as he smiled and gave Charlie a thumbs up at the mask she just finished decorating.

She shrugged, “not everyone has a rich cousin to mooch off of.”  Grabbing her sweater and waved bye to everyone, “I’ll see you tomorrow to help finish gluing the the ice cream sticks to the mask.

Gun turned in his bed and got up. It was only midnight and something wasn’t right. He stretched his arms over his head and checked the security camera for the perimeter around his house. Everything seemed good. Sighing he grabbed his workout clothes and shoes. “Might as well.” He muttered and went to hit the gym.

He sweated and panted still the feeling didn’t go away after he worked out. He washed up and changed back into his sleepwear and couldn’t fall back to sleep. Gun grabbed his work bag and tossed it into the backseat of his car and drove off. All was quiet when he entered his house. He glanced to the side where the dining table was and saw that it was all lined up with cut outs of what appeared to be animals? He picked one up and smiled. What was Charlie doing? Still with a smile he walked up the steps and stopped by Charlie’s room to see his daughter. She was grinning in her sleep and hugging her doll. He gave her a peck on the forehead and stepped back out into the hallway. Looking at the clock, it showed that it was nearing two in the morning. He craned his neck and walked into this study to double check his papers before going off to bed himself, he yawned as he opened the door to his study.

Pream turned her head as she thought she heard the doors opening and closing. Worried, she pulled her blanket up and went to check up on Charlie. Her daughter looked to be well in slumberland. She smiled while pulling some strands away from Charlie’s face and placed a kiss on her forehead. She adjusted the blanket to cover more of Charlie’s shoulders as she felt a brisk air from the hallway.

She closed the door to the little girl’s room when she noticed there was light spilling out from the study. Did someone forget to turn the light off? Shaking her head inwardly she walked over to the room and opened the door to see the top of Gun’s head as he slept again at his desk. What is it with this man and sleeping at his desk? The room here was chillier than Charlie’s and she went to pull the throw off the nearby couch again. As she placed the blanket over him she wondered when he’d arrived home. Sighing she stroked his hair as some fell over his forehead. Smiling to herself she stroked his cheeks and ran her hands along his shoulders soothingly. Chuckling she gave him a quick peck on the cheeks again and walked quietly out of the room and closed the door without a sound.

Gun felt something comforting and warm when he opened his eyes to stretch. He rubbed the sleep from his eyes and realized that he slept in his study again. He stifled a yawn as he stood up and felt the fabric slipping off his shoulders. He bent down to pick it up and noticed the little pang in his chest again. Which was odd, because he only felt that when he was with Pream. He tossed the throw onto the couch and walked out to the hallway. The clock read that it was a bit after four in the morning. He could sleep for a few more hours since he was done with work. He yawned loudly and went to poke his head into Charlie’s room again. She was still sleeping. He closed the door quietly and made his way down the hall back to his room.

Pream stepped into the hallway when Gun had stepped into his room and closed the door. She smiled, so he does sleep in his own room. She stretched her arms when she reached Charlie’s room to check on her then closed the door again. She wanted to get an early start on the mask and walked down stairs with her phone. Once she reached the dining table she placed some alarms on her phone and begin color and filling in the spots that either Charile, Can or Ploy had missed. She reached for the paint and began coloring. Her alarm went off to let her know that it was time to start breakfast.  She moved the mask towards the end of the table to make room for breakfast when it was served. Then headed into the kitchen to start cooking. She smiled when Sonny came in yawning to help then excused herself to wake up Charlie and help Mai to get the girl ready for school.

Gun came down the stairs and followed the smell into the kitchen. “Sonny. Can I get coffee please.”

Sonny without looking away from the skillet said yes. After he left to sit at the head of the dining room table did she jump and cover her mouth. “Was that…?” She tilted her head the skillet to the side to look out into the dining room. “Oh my goodness…” She bit her nails and leaned against the wall.

Gun flipped the newspaper open when Pream made her way back downstairs and noticed him at the head of the table. She leaned over behind him to see what he was reading and when he made no move to acknowledge her she shrugged and went back into the kitchen. “Someone is not a morning person.” She noticed Sonny leaning against the wall and the food in the skillet burning. “Sonny?” The girl jumped and went back to the stove and saw that the food was burnt. She apologized then began scooping it onto a separate plate. “Why are you so jumpy?”

“U--uh…” She said uncertainly, “Mister Gun wanted coffee.”

“And that has you up in a tizzy?” Pream laughed, “finish breakfast and I’ll make the coffee.”

“Ma’am I got it.” She didn’t need Pream to surprise Gun with her presence.

“It’s okay. Just keep making breakfast.” Pream smiled.

Gun could smell the burnt breakfast. “My goodness, not again.” He closed his eyes and prayed breakfast wasn’t going to be charcoal.

Pream stirred the cream and sugar before making her way back to the dining room. Gun had just flipped over to another page when she placed the coffee in front of him. “From the smell coming from the kitchen, it looks like it’ll just be coffee for me.” She glanced over at him as he spoke. “May I just get a slice of toast with jam on it please?” He heard a murmured okay and felt a breeze as someone left. He poked his head up from the newspaper and just saw someone’s foot entering last into the kitchen. He shrugged it off and went back to reading his newspaper.

Pream frowned as Sonny was removing the burnt food out to the side of the house. “When you get back, could you get a slice of toast out with jam please?” She glared at the opening from the kitchen, “he doesn’t want breakfast today.” Pushing the omelet to the side she sulked and went up the back stairways to find Charlie and Mai. If she knew he didn’t want anything but toast, she wouldn’t have chosen omelet to make.

Sonny looked out into the dining room to see Gun still reading his newspaper. She scratched her head and went to get the toast and jam as requested. “Sir?” She asked as she placed the plate in front of him.

“That was quick.” He closed the newspaper and started on his toast but paused when Sonny was leaning in close to look at him. “What?”

“You didn’t notice anything else earlier?” Sonny asked waiting a beat.

Gun looked down the table, “the mask? Could you explain why Charlie is making so much?”

“Her school field trip.” Sonny answered looking down the table. “It’s for their field trip to the zoo.”

Gun dusted the crumbs off his tie. “She’s making it all by herself?”

Sonny glanced over at him, did he not notice Pream? “Uh, yeah. Punishment for her misbehavior. She’s still making it up to the school with extra homework and projects.” She waited again. “That’s the only thing you noticed?”

“That’s good. And was there something else I’m supposed to have noticed?” He looked at Sonny who was still studying him. “Why do you keep looking at me like that?” Sonny jumped and said ‘no’ before rushing back into the kitchen to finish squeezing the orange juice. Gun muttered under his breath, “my whole staff has gone daft.”

Pream was still folding some of Charlie’s old clothes in the room when Charlie sat there staring at her. “Don’t you want to go down for breakfast mom?”

She shook her head, “I want to finish packing these clothes to give away to the orphanage. Why don’t you go ahead and grab breakfast downstairs? Your dad is down there right now.”

Charlie’s head shot up. “Huh!?”

Pream smiled, “I guess he came in the middle of the night last night while we were sleeping. Why don’t you keep him company while I finish up here.”

Charlie ran downstairs with Mai trailing along closely. “Daddy!” She looked around the dining room, “what are you doing here?”

“I missed you, so I came home last night.” He smiled as Charlie gave him a hug and a kiss on his cheeks. “I thought I’d wait for you and give you a ride to school since it’s on the way there.”

“Uh…” She looked up at Mai. “Okay. Let me grab my backpack.” She ran upstairs to find Pream still sorting through her old clothes. “Mom!”

“Yes?” Pream asked with a frown. “What is it?”

“Dad wants to take me to school.”

Pream tilted her head and smiled, “that’s sweet of him.” She went back to folding the clothes, “isn’t that what you want?” Charlie nodded her head and grinned. “Do you want me to walk you out to the car?”

“No!” Charlie gasped and covered her mouth. “You have a lot to fold up here. I don’t want you to be tired going up and down the stairs.” She gave Pream another hug and grabbed her backpack, “stay here and finish, okay?” She waved bye and closed the door quickly behind her.

Pream shook her head laughing and went back to folding and sorting some of the clothes. She was going to go through his closet next and see what she could toss into the donation pile. She glared at the door. Toast and jam only huh? Then next time, no breakfast. Only coffee. She sulked somewhere as she folded Charlie’s baby clothes. She frowned looking at the little thing in her hand and saddened some more. She had no recollection of her baby at all. “Charlie.” She sighed and folded the little shirt and continued with sorting them by sizes.

Gun watched as Sonny brought out an omelet for Charlie and he scrunched his eyebrows at the plate. “Sure, she gets served like a queen.”

Charlie grinned and started forking in to her eggs. She saw her dad licking his lips at her eggs. ‘Halfsies?” She forked a piece and held it out to him.

Jai walked out and smiled seeing the father daughter duo then she looked around. “Miss Pream.” She saw Sonny pointing up the stairs and went to Charlie’s room. “What are you doing ma’am?”

“I’ve been meaning to clean out Charlie’s closet. So many baby clothes she won’t be needing.” She smiled at the housekeeper. “I’m going to go through Gun’s room next.”

“Ma’am?” She asked surprised.

“When I was packing his stuff up for the beach, he has a lot of old clothes-- we should sort them, he doesn’t need all of those old clothes for the moths to eat up.” Pream finished the last of the clothes. I have them sorted by sizes, can you ask Noun to find boxes and we could label them accordingly.” She stretched and stood up, “I should say bye to Charlie before she leaves.”

“Oh no, she’s already almost done with breakfast, chances are she’s already walking to the car.” The old woman waved her hands, “come, we could raid the boss’ room for old clothes. I think we should do my room next and see if anyone else clothes they’d like to give away here.”

Charlie wiped her mouth as Gun grabbed his work bag to see Jim rushing into the dining room, “sorry ma’am…” He stopped and saw Gun instead, “I mean sir…” He scratched his head and looked around. “I didn’t notice your car outside.”

“I parked it in the garage when I got here.” Gun smiled, “you can get the morning off, I’m going to drive Charlie in to school before work.”

Jim nodded his head and rushed out to bump into Noun, “where’s the madam?”

“Upstairs, the housekeeper is keeping her occupied upstairs from coming down.”

“How is it that they haven’t seen each other yet?”

Noun shrugged as she saw Gun and Charlie walking out, “hurry up and get the car!”

Mai was holding onto Charlie’s backpack as they waited for the car. Gun was talking to Charlie about the masks on the table.

“You couldn’t have done that all on your own.”

Charlie smiled. “Uncle Can helped out. He made the ugly ones.”

lakornblog

sarNie Hatchling
Chapter Thirty Six

“That’s funny, your uncle made no mention of the masks you had to make for your field trip.” Gun felt ignored.

“You’re always at work daddy.” Charlie smiled, “don’t worry about it.”

Gun laughed as his daughter tried to cheer him up. Jim opened the door for Charlie to hope in the back and waved at everyone.

Pream looked out of Gun’s window as they drove off. “Charlie looks really happy today doesn’t she?”

Jai smiled, “she’s got a lot to smile about these days.”

Pream looked at the old shorts, shirts and shoes. “Which does Gun like the most?”

“Thank you Jim.” Pream and he walked with a dolly they borrowed from the donation center to wheel in the boxes. They were waiting their turn to fill in the donation form when everyone stopped to pay respect to a woman walking by with her nose in the air. She frowned as everyone else who was waiting in line to donate had to put her first. “Well, that’s just rude. Even if you’re donating more than everyone else.” She huffed as Jim stood behind her, “do you think this happens all the time Jim when this woman arrives just to write a check?”

The woman walked back and noticed Pream didn’t pay her the respect everyone else there did. Pream stood there with her arms crossed as everyone else lowered their head and kept their faces down. “Aren’t you high and mighty.” She looked around then Pream pointed at herself. “Who else wouldn’t care if I graced these place for my monthly donation?”

Pream crossed her arms again, “I’m sure your fat bank account gets its monthly slim down from when you write your check, but does it better you in this world?”

“This kids would be hungry and cold if it wasn’t for me.” The woman said snootily.

“I’m sorry, so my boxes of clothes won’t keep these kids warm?” Pream asked snorting indignantly, “children are thankful for anything you give them. But I guess everyone here bows to you because they’re afraid of you? More like afraid that their money source would deplete?” She tilted her head at the woman and studied her clothes and purse, “your outfit alone could probably feed these kids for a year.”

The woman flared her nose at Pream, “the nerve of you.” Pream shrugged, “see if I come next month to donate here with you.”

“I can’t afford to just write checks like you every month.” She pointed again to the boxes of clothes, “I don’t empty out my closet every week like some. But if you don’t plan on writing a check out for the charity next month, everyone will really know that you only care about your face in society, not feeding the children. So if you don’t write another check next month, I’m sure someone like me will see to the press.” She rolled her eyes and started to move the dolly stacked with clothes.

“You little witch!”

Pream rolled her eyes again, “there’s something about arrogant people with money that I just don’t like.” With that said the old woman stormed off. Jim popped back up from wherever he was hiding, “what were you doing?”

He smiled and just waved at the moving line, “let’s drop these donations off before we’re late to pick up Miss Charlie.” He let Pream lead the way then looked quickly over his shoulders. Of course the old woman had to be his boss’ relative, Jan.

“Do I hang out in circles like that Jim?” Pream asked as they moved another foot forward.

Jim shook his head.

“Be honest.”

“No ma’am. From what I’ve known of you, you worked and earned your paycheck.”

“Then how did I get someone like Gun?” She looked over her shoulders at him as they took another step forward, “how is it possible I scored a guy like him?”

Jim shrugged, “fate… or a little Angel that follows you.” Named Charlie, he thought to himself.

Pream smiled at that. “That’s nice of you to say Jim.”

“Why didn’t you tell me Charlie had to make a hundred masks for school?” Gun asked over late lunch with his cousin, their meeting ran longer than expected.

Can shrugged, “you didn’t ask.”

“Who helped?” Gun asked smacking his cousin’s fork away from his plate.

“I did.” Can tried to grab another steak from Gun’s plate.

“I know your handiwork, you suck. No way did you help that much.”

Can pretended to pout, “are you trying to say I’m lacking in art skills?”

“I know you’re lacking in art skills.” Gun pointed his steak knife at him, “who did you hire to help?”

“I didn’t hire anyone.” Can said whipping out his phone, “Ploy helped. See?” He scrolled to find his selfie with Ploy and their sticker art face.

Gun laughed, “I see. You spent more time making her beautiful while the mask stayed unskilled.”

“You’re just jealous you’re single.”

“You’re admitting now that you and Ploy have something together?”

Can shook his head, “never. Still single.”

“Why are you bringing your non-girlfriend to my house when I’m not home anyways?”

He finally got a piece of Gun’s steak and chewed it satisfactorily. “Ah crap.”

Gun stopped chewing to look behind him. “Aunt Jan.”

“You remember me, but ignore my calls like you’re hiding from an ex.” She said ungraciously sitting in the available seat at their table. “Why aren’t you gentlemen answering my calls?”

“We’re not interested in you trying to play matchmaker.” Gun smiled as he handed her a glass of water, “I think I found one already.”

“Who are her parents?” She asked taking the water but not drinking it.

“Single dad, but he just passed away almost a year ago.” Gun said wiping his mouth with the napkin. “She went to school with Can.”

“I don’t care who she went to school with, who is she?” His aunt asked again crossing her arms.

“She’s no one you’d know.” Gun sighed. His mother’s distant aunt is starting to bother him. How many times removed is she again? He started doing the math in his head when his Aunt asked what he was planning on doing for his daughter’s mother’s day celebration. “Is Mother’s Day already coming up?” He scratched his head. Last year was a mess. His daughter wouldn’t stop crying because she didn’t have a mother to do the ceremony for at school so he pulled her out of class when the teacher called to inform him she wouldn’t stop her crying in class.

“Hey, Gun.” Can pointed at his watch, “we have to get back to our meeting.”

Their Aunt watched them leave quickly and she watched them until they disappeared. “You’re right.” Pim popped out from one of the tall plants in the restaurant. “I think you should step up your game and pretend to be a mother figure.”

“How am I going to do that?” She asked frowning.

The older woman patted her hands, “leave it up to me.”

Friday came and went. Gun didn’t come back home, probably tied up with work. Pream sighed as Jim drove then to the loop for campus drop-off. “Are you sure you don’t want me to drive behind the bus ma’am?”

“Whyever for Jim?” Pream smiled, “don’t worry about me. Just get home safely, the field trip might run late, so I will give you a call when we’re returning from the zoo.”

Once they got to their turn Jim got out to open the door for Pream and Charlie before opening the trunks for the boxes of mask. “I can carry these right up for you if you give me a moment to park the car.

“I’ll be fine carrying a box full of paper glued to ice cream sticks.” Pream adjusted the purse crossover on her then held on to the box. “Stop worrying about me Jim. I’m a big girl.” Pream smiled and Charlie waved off Jim when a car honked from behind. She looked down at her daughter, “are you ready for the zoo?”

Can looked up from his desk when Ploy slammed her way in. “Good afternoon to you too.”

“It’s Friday-- and I have work tonight.”

“So?” Ploy gave him the look that he hated, “what did I say?”

“Monday night was a fluke when Gun returned home unexpectedly, what about tonight when he returns home?”

Can shrugged, “don’t you think we should tell him now?”

“Do you want to tell him?” Ploy asked leaning on his desk, “why do you keep wanting to tell him anyways?”

“He’s my cousin.” Can sighed as he tossed his pen down next to Ploy, “I feel bad enough with these past few weeks of deceiving him.”

Ploy crossed her arms as she sat on the desk, “what if we tell him, and he kicks Pream out of the house? Calls us crazy, gold-diggers-- anything else with a horrible name you could think of that he might call us…” She paused, “this could make Pream worse.”

“So you’re telling me now that we shouldn’t be doing this?” He looked at her like she was a little kid, “don’t you think it’s a little too late to not do that?”

“I think I found a white strand of hair this morning from all this stress.” Ploy muttered, “I don’t know what to do anymore. I don’t want her to remain in La-La-Land like this. I kind of miss the old Pream.”

“I don’t think she’s any different, she’s just… not herself.” Can said for lack of words to use.

“So, we’re really going to tell Gun?”

“I really think he likes Pream.” Can said throwing his hands up and leaning back in his chair, “I want to risk telling him.”

“Do you want to wait…” Ploy asked. “I was FaceTiming with Charlie, she’s really excited about the Mother’s Day ceremony at school. What if it goes wrong and Pream gets the boot, Charlie gets no mom for Mother’s Day…”

Can placed both his hands behind his head spinning in his chair, “that’s next week isn’t it?”

“How should I know? I never celebrated Mother’s Day before.”

Can studied her, “Pream never celebrated Mother’s Day either. How did she survive the school year?”

They jumped when Ploy’s phone rang. “Hey Pream. How’s the trip?”

“We’re headed home now, I called Jim to let him know where’ on our way home, he hasn’t answered back yet. Not even a text.”

“How odd.” Ploy pointed at Can, “did you want a ride?”

“No, I was just calling to see if you have work tonight.”

“Of course.” Ploy said looking at Can, “did you have any plans tonight?”

“Not that I know of.” Pream looked at her phone as it rang, “let me call you right back.” She switched callers, “Jim, you called back.” Her joy was short lived after Jim explained that he had a flat, and the spare was also not good. “Let me call Ploy or Can then okay? Call me when you get it fixed, you should be able to just head home afterwards.” She re-dialed Ploy. “Hey, Jim has a flat, I’m going to call Can to see if we could get a ride?”

“No need, Bozo the clown is right here.” Ploy handed the phone over to Can.

Pream looked at the phone again, “you know, for someone who isn’t dating, you guys are like this,” short pause, “well, you can’t see it, but my fingers are crossed together.”

“What’s up Pream.” Can said ignoring her observation. “Flat tire?”

Ploy and Can jumped up again when the door opened. “Gun!”

He looked around the office, “why do you guys looks so guilty?”

The phone was still to his ears when he heard Pream ask, “you guys look guilty? What were you guys doing?”

“Uh…” Can said scratching his nose. “Ploy will take my car keys. Again.”

Ploy reached for the phone after Can tossed her the car keys, “Hey, yea. No. I’ll see you shortly. Okay, bye.” She side-stepped around Gun. “Hey, good to see you. Great timing, Gun, Can wanted to tell you something. Alright then. Bye.” She gave him a quick wave and dashed right out of the room.

Gun watched her departure, “I swear, she just gets weirder and weirder each time I see her.” He placed his hands in his pocket before turning to look back at his cousin, “you wanted to tell me something?”

“Wh-what makes y-you s-say that?” He stammered.

Taking one hand out he hiked a thumb over his shoulders, “because Ploy said you had something to tell me before she did her little disappearing act.” He saw his cousin sweating. “Do you want me to open the windows for you? It is kind of sweaty in here.”

Can adjusted his collar then loosened his tie. “Hey, yea. I just wanted to ask you something. Actually. No more like, I just wanted to tell you something real quick. Don’t hate me.”

Bieluvr

XiaojuXiyou
Ahh. The wait will kill me. I want to know what will happen next!!! Will Can tell Gun, or will he find another excuse? I have a feeling that Gun will be mad at Can and everyone else, but yet he is glad that they caused all this too. But I hope when he finds out, he'll tell Pream. I don't want him to go along with it because if one day she remembers, she'll be really mad. If she doesn't ever remember though, then I'm fine with him going along with the game. LOL. :)

lakornblog

sarNie Hatchling
Bieluvr said:
Ahh. The wait will kill me. I want to know what will happen next!!! Will Can tell Gun, or will he find another excuse? I have a feeling that Gun will be mad at Can and everyone else, but yet he is glad that they caused all this too. But I hope when he finds out, he'll tell Pream. I don't want him to go along with it because if one day she remembers, she'll be really mad. If she doesn't ever remember though, then I'm fine with him going along with the game. LOL. :)
:bopping:

danounagirl said:
you are definitly spoiling us 
and then u stopped at a crucial point and leaving us hunging
:pervie:

sarN said:
^^^^ I love it, update soon !!!!!
:shrug:  I probably will tomorrow -- I'm not doing anything since I've lost all my devices at once. LOL no going out for me until I get a phone again. 

lakornblog

sarNie Hatchling
Chapter Thirty Seven

“So,” Gun started as he sat across from Can, “what did you want to talk to me about?”

Can smiled sheepishly, “I was thinking of hopping the train tonight.”

“Okay?” Gun turned his hands up, “is that it?”

“I was seeing if you wanted to go with me?”

His cousin scowled at him. “I was going to take my daughter out to the zoo.”

“Your daughter’s field trip was the zoo today.” Can reminded him.

“Crap.” Gun muttered, “she’s been good too, I wanted to take her out as a treat.”

“Why don’t we all hop the train this weekend and head somewhere. Camp somewhere?” Can suggested.

Gun raised his eyebrows at that, “it’s been awhile since we’ve camped. I’ve never taken Charlie though. Do you think she’s ready?”

Can shrugged, “we won’t know until we try it right?”

Gun smiled, “sounds great. Let me get my stuff ready and set out to pack.”

“We have another meeting later this afternoon, why don’t you just ask Jai to pack for you?”

Gun rolled his eyes, “as much as I enjoy someone else packing my underwear for me, Jai doesn’t know what we need for camping.”

“You should make a list,” Can added, “we need little girlie sized camping gear and equipment for your daughter.”

“I don’t think it’s Mai’s thing though.” Gun made another disappointed face wondering if the nanny would like to go camping or not.

“Let’s just play it by ear.” Can said as his phone rang. “Hey,” he held up his hand as Pream spoke on the phone, “it should be fine. Ploy grabbed my keys already.” Gun watched as Can listened to what was being said on the other line, “sure, she doesn’t work until six tonight, so you have a few hours with her.”  

Gun surmised that it was Pream since he mentioned ‘Ploy’ and his keys. “Does Ploy know anything about camping gears?”

Can shrugged as he answered Pream, “no, Gun is here with me. Yea.” He looked up at Gun, “sure, let me put you on speaker.”

“Did I hear you ask about camping gears?” Pream questioned as she and Charlie was on the lookout for Ploy with Can’s car.

Gun smiled down at the phone, “why, did you want to go too?”

“Have I ever gone camping before?”

Gun thought better of camping and reached for his cell phone to make a call.

Can slapped his hands over his eyes and let out a silent groan.

“Ploy!” Pream smiled and waved from across her guests’ table.

She blinked and excused herself to pull her friend away from the table of bachelors, “what are you doing here?” Ploy then looked around and to the side of her friend, “don’t tell me Can brought you here!” She had returned the car back to Can quickly as she was almost late to work today and didn’t exchange any pleasantries with him. She made sure that Can would take Pream out somewhere until she got off of work.

Pream hiked a thumb over her shoulders and answered solemnly, “no. Gun did.”

“What?!” Ploy said waving her tray to get her manager’s attention to let him know she’s stepping out real quick. “The music was too loud. I’ve mistaken to hear you say Gun brought you here.”

Pream looked around the alleyway. “Well… yea.” She frowned, “are you upset?”

Ploy asked where the car was and found Can in the passenger seat with Charlie waiting in the back. She leaned over the passenger side window to see Gun waving at her. Nothing. No emotion. No reaction. Nothing. Gun didn’t look upset at all. She angrily pointed at Can as he  excused himself from the car. She shifted to the side near the back door and waited when Ploy pointed at Pream to stay.

“YOU!” Ploy said jabbing her fingers at Can after they walked some distance away. “What the hell is going on? I’m pretty sure that’s not someone who knows he’s been duped!” Can’s mouth opened and closed like a fish out of water, “What. Did. You. DO!!”

Pream looked over when she heard the word ‘DO’ and started walking over to her friend. Ploy stuck out her finger and pointed for Pream to stay where she was.

Breathing in one breath at a time. “Tell me now. What. Did. You. Do.” She spoke slower to him like he was a child. Charlie was still in the car with Gun. Gun wasn’t upset-- Can would’ve made sure Pream was out of harm’s way. This isn’t right. Something wasn’t right. She gave Can aother threatening look and raised her hands as if she’d hit him.

“I asked that we go camping?” He said without shame and held up his hands innocently, “I couldn’t tell him.”

“Grow a pair will you?” Ploy stomped her little feet, “I’ll show you!” She clomped her way to the car and found three pair of eyeballs looking back at her. The one standing outside of the car, her friend, her eyes showed that they were full of, excitement, hope and love. “I hate you guys.” Realizing now why the whole gang made it to her workplace before their trip. She growled and stomped her way into work as she did so, she began untying her apron. She was about to be fired. She walked back out to the car with her arms crossed. “Scoot over.”  Ploy muttered to Charlie. She pouted but her friend jumped up and gave her a huge hug. “Yea, yea. Get off of me.”

Another weekend of beat around the bush and watching her friend fall helplessly in love with someone she thought was her husband. It was late, Charlie already fell asleep against Pream’s shoulder and Pream had pulled out her earphones to listen to music as she slept too.

Reaching into her pocket to dim her phone she started to text Can.

Ploy: Congratulations. I no longer work at the bar you don’t like me working at.
Can: I’ll get you a job at the company.
Ploy: As what? Part of the janitorial staff?

Ploy didn’t see what his reply was as she closed the screen and closed her eyes to sleep as well. She didn’t even know where they’re headed but she’s going to need the rest. Can looked over his shoulders to see Ploy closing her eyes. He sighed and looked over at Gun to see him focusing on the road. “Do you want me to drive?”

Gun shook his head, “I got it for now, why don’t you go ahead and rest and when I’m tired I’ll have you take over.”

Pream felt the car come to a complete stop off and popped her eyes open. She had slept the entire car ride there. She stretched her arms out and felt two bodies leaning against her. To her right was Charlie and to her left was Ploy. They still hadn’t budged so she looked up to see Gun stretching and yawning. “Did you drive the whole night?”

“Of course not.” Gun said as he looked over at his sleeping cousin sleeping shotgun. “He drove for about thirty minutes before he felt sleepy.”

Pream smiled at him from the back seat as Gun scanned around the front of the cabin. “I thought you meant camping in a tent?”

“Short notice, we wouldn’t be able to hike to where we usually camp. But I had this cabin readied this afternoon. Gave them a call to let them know I’d be staying here. It’s close enough to camping. No running hot water, no internet, no phone signal.” He bit his lips when he realized his phone was ringing and hitting the ignore button, “well, the last time I was here there was no phone signal.” He smiled over his shoulders at her. The sun is going to rise in a bit. We should wake up these sleepy heads. He laughed to see Pream nodding in agreement. “Especially since you can’t move.” He shushed her by placing his hands on his lips. “I’m going to get Charlie from your side and carry her. There’s a key under the largest rock on the right. If you could unlock the door? We’ll wake the big kids up after we settle Charlie down.”

Pream eyed him suspiciously as he balanced Charlie in his arms. “You need to pee don’t you?”

“Of course, why else would I not wake the others up.” He winked, “first dibs on the outhouse.”

She laughed, “you’re disgustingly cute.” After unlocking the door she glanced around, the lanterns were left on with a dull glow. “Which way?”

“Grab one of the lanterns and stand next to me.” He walked slowly and Pream saw the first door, “This one has a large bed, it should fit you, Ploy and Charlie just fine.”

“And the other?”

Gun chuckled, “two twin sized bed that I will probably roll off of more times than Can.”

Pream found the other lantern and lighter and light another one up. She blinked as she looked around and saw that the cabin really had no electricity at all. “It’s no tent, but we are definitely going to be roughing it here aren’t we?”

“If your phone dies, there’s not charging.” Gun laughed as he tucked Charlie into the center of the bed.

They both looked at Charlie as she shifted to get comfortable in bed and when she sighed, there was a hint of smile on her lips. Gun and Pream smiled automatically as they looked down on the little girl. They both leaned down to kiss Charlie good night. Gun on the right cheek and Pream on the left cheek. Caught by surprise that they were leaning so close to each other they popped their head up simultaneously and smacked their heads together. They yelped out in pain and fell over together at the foot of the bed. Afterwards they started laughing and had to cover each other’s mouth with their hands when they thought one another would wake Charlie up. Slowly slipping their hands away from each other’s face they laid there with their feet dangling off each side of the bed and continued to silently stare at each other. None was sure how long they had stayed that way, but when Pream felt Gun leaning in closer, she realized she was nervous.

“Oh my god! Get a room!” They heard Ploy’s voice and jerked up in the spot where they laid and smacked their heads together. Again. They were rubbing their forehead as Ploy walked in. “Your tired cousin is starting to slip out of his clothes like the makeshift living room is his bed. Nobody wants to see him in his boxers.” She turned her head to see Gun and Pream rubbing their head. “What happened to you guys?”

Pream and Gun exchanged a knowing glance and started laughing. They both assumed Ploy had caught them in an almost kiss when in fact, she was just yelling at Can near the doorway. Gun rubbed his forehead and laughed in spite of everything. He got up to excuse himself leaving Ploy to wonder what was so funny. She looked away from Gun walking to Pream who had now sat up on the bed “What did I say?”

“It’s not exactly what you said.” Pream let out a disappointed sigh, “don’t worry about it. Let’s grab the backpack from the car. Can took me over to the condo to pack your clothes before we swooped you up-- so you could change into something more comfortable.”

Ploy sniffed herself, she smelled like an alcoholic. How anyone was able to sit in the car with her that long without wanting to barf was a miracle. She found Can asleep on the floor with a rug tossed over him. “Where did Gun go?”

“The outhouse.”

Ploy turned slowly to glare at Pream, “I’m sorry, did  you say outhouse? This place has an OUTHOUSE?!” Now that she was fully awake she looked out into the distance. Then she looked up at the skies. “We are in the middle of nowhere?” She saw stars, stars she’d never seen before in the city. “Don’t tell me we have to hunt for food.”

Pream shrugged, “I’m not quite sure on how we’re getting food… Maybe there’s already some stored in the cabin?”

“Unless it’s canned food, I don’t know how else there’s food here.”

Leaning against the banister of the little cabin porch, Pream sniffed the air, “it’s so refreshing out here.” She looked up at the skies, “now there’s a sight you don’t see everyday.” She pointed up, “you think that’s a galaxy right there?”

Ploy rubbed her neck, “at least there’s a bed.” She sniffled, “it’s starting to get cold, where’s the blanket?” She dug around in the car trunk and pulled out a few backpack, “who's is who?” Then she tried looking for the blanket again.

Gun walked back around the house to see Ploy’s head in the trunk of the car. He stopped next to Pream to see Ploy rummaging around in the trunk. “What’s your friend doing?”

“She’s looking for a blanket.”

Gun pointed back at the cabin, “the blanket is on the bed. I was going to get a light going in the fireplace inside the room for you ladies.”

She heard Gun say the blanket in the room. That tiny little scrap? That thin little scrap that she’s supposed to share with Pream and Charlie? She’s going to freeze to death here.

Ploy turned around and froze Gun in his spot with her death stare, so this is what Can goes through every time she gives him this look. He wanted to actually hide behind Pream right now as she continued to stare at him. The lantern light hanging on the porch made her look evil. Like a witch about to cast a curse. “I’ll go light the fireplace up now.” He gave Pream a quick look as she smiled at him encouragingly.

“Come on.” Pream said walking up to the car, “let me help you to carry the stuff in.”

“This is the first time I left civilization.” Ploy muttered. “I don’t like it.”

She tilted her head at her friend as she gather the bags, “yea? No kidding. I can’t tell that you’re freaking out right now.”

“Your humor is just going right over my head right now.” Ploy said as she dragged her feet into the cabin. “I can’t believe I’m here.” She dropped the bags onto Can who was still sleeping under the rug on the floor. She heard a satisfying ‘oomph’ coming from him and smiled. Ploy’s eyes widened when she saw the room once more with the fireplace lit up. “Oh my god! I call the side closest to the fireplace!”

Ploy started to shove Gun out of the room so that she could change into something she could sleep in. Pream waved her fingers at him and mouthed ‘goodnight’ before the door was slammed in his face by a now overly excited Ploy who wanted to be sleeping and warm by the fireside.

Gun blinked as Ploy slammed the door on his face before he frowned and turned his attention back to his snoring cousin. Shaking his head he went over to the lump on the floor and shook his body with his foot. “Can.”

“Wha?”

“CAN!”

“I’m up, I’m up.” He said as he smacked his lips and went back to sleep.